Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is IMSA writing off GTLM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 05:20 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts
Default Is IMSA writing off GTLM?

Recent rule changes for 2019 seem to focus on prototypes, and GTD, with the idea of getting costs under control and attracting new teams. I have seen nothing with regards to GTLM trying to do either.

What's going on here? Just two cars each from 4 manufacturers make up GTLM and it's become boring IMO. At Lime Rock, where the field didn't include prototypes, the vast majority of the TV time went to the GTD classes because that's where the real action was.

Trans Am Racing is looking damn good to me these days after having been watching past races online.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:53 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

In my view every time racing organizations suck up to the factories the sport suffers. Trans Am has a better formula, but it even could allow a bit more creativity. TA needs a few more "names" to jump aboard to increase the visibility. Have enjoyed TA the past 5 or 6 years at Sebring and Daytona. A full TA car rockin' around Daytona at 200 plus and 1:43-1:44 lap times is a hoot.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:24 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

I think IMSA believes the GTLM class is in pretty good shape. The big issue with their prototype class has an issue of equalizing the international P2 cars with the DPi cars. But also, current DPi cars are not eligible to race in WEC. And the WEC is proposing big changes for its prototype classes in the future also. So a lot of the prototype discussion in IMSA is around trying to sort out the WEC situation and be compatible - although some are also of the opinion that WEC has become irrelevant and that IMSA's has the best prototype structure and racing in the world. Anyway, I wouldn't read too much into lack of changes to GTLM - they will keep that class in line with WEC rules, so that teams can race at Le Mans. Stability of a rule set can be a good thing!
The following 4 users liked this post by MatthewMiller:
'Shifter (08-04-2018), Apollo29 (08-11-2018), Foosh (08-11-2018), rocsvette (08-05-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 12:45 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

MatthewMiller, that's exactly what I've been hoping for, more WEC/IMSA homologation = more racing. I'd dearly love to see the WEC race 2/year in the U.S.A. again, sadly without the Audis/Peugots/Porsches/Toyo P1 cars.

I don't feel that they are shirking GTLM, just concentrating on the areas that have the most changes/issues. I do wish that we could get Ferrari back full-time, with a pair of cars, or the Lambo's build for GTLM. instead of GTD.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:52 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 'Shifter
MatthewMiller, that's exactly what I've been hoping for, more WEC/IMSA homologation = more racing. I'd dearly love to see the WEC race 2/year in the U.S.A. again, sadly without the Audis/Peugots/Porsches/Toyo P1 cars.

I don't feel that they are shirking GTLM, just concentrating on the areas that have the most changes/issues. I do wish that we could get Ferrari back full-time, with a pair of cars, or the Lambo's build for GTLM. instead of GTD.
Yep, the WEC has not been playing too nicely with IMSA lately on the prototype rules. I guess the era of super-hybrids in LMP1 is pretty much over. We'll see what the next era actually brings.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:55 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Member '09

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
Yep, the WEC has not been playing too nicely with IMSA lately on the prototype rules. I guess the era of super-hybrids in LMP1 is pretty much over. We'll see what the next era actually brings.
Hopefully not electrics.....the Hybrids are bad enough (tech-wise cool, sound wise they are irritating to me). (I really miss the nasty P1 diesels)
Old 08-04-2018, 01:30 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 'Shifter
Hopefully not electrics.....the Hybrids are bad enough (tech-wise cool, sound wise they are irritating to me). (I really miss the nasty P1 diesels)
I went to COTA in 2015 and watched the race. It had Audi, Toyota, and Porsche. They were all very different sounding, but the Audis really had no sound at all other than the woosh of air as they went by! The Toyotas were pretty loud (no turbos, flat-plane V8), and the Porsches were quiet-ish but they made some noise. But aside from that, when I watched them negotiate the S-turns (turns 3-5) my jaw dropped at the speeds they could generate. This was following the ISMA race where the DPs (the old uglier tube frame ones, not the modern P2-based cars of today) had already spent hours going through there, and there was just no comparison. On sound, the GTLM cars were by far the best overall, with the Corvettes (both the factory team in IMSA and the Labre car in WEC) being completely unique and awesome. I don't think you have to worry about all-electric cars in WEC endurance racing. No way battery technology is going to allow multiple laps of Le Mans any time in our lifetimes!
Old 08-04-2018, 02:06 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Member '09

I went to COTA in 2015 and watched the race. It had Audi, Toyota, and Porsche. They were all very different sounding, but the Audis really had no sound at all other than the woosh of air as they went by! The Toyotas were pretty loud (no turbos, flat-plane V8), and the Porsches were quiet-ish but they made some noise. But aside from that, when I watched them negotiate the S-turns (turns 3-5) my jaw dropped at the speeds they could generate. This was following the ISMA race where the DPs (the old uglier tube frame ones, not the modern P2-based cars of today) had already spent hours going through there, and there was just no comparison. On sound, the GTLM cars were by far the best overall, with the Corvettes (both the factory team in IMSA and the Labre car in WEC) being completely unique and awesome. I don't think you have to worry about all-electric cars in WEC endurance racing. No way battery technology is going to allow multiple laps of Le Mans any time in our lifetimes!
There is no doubt that the technology is anything short of awesome, but from where I sit, the "silence/quieter" removes some soul from the heart of racing. IMHO, the salad days were the Audi vs Peugeot turbo diesel wars.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:19 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

I think with GTLM, they figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it. GTLM gets a lot of the fanbase and frankly, I think GTLM is pretty strong with the current teams involved (in the sense that...I don't think any of them want to leave). I'd definitely like to see another manufacturer jump in but GTLM seems to be the 100% American market, marketing class. The manufacturers in GTLM are seeking to grab the attention of the American buyer market and fanbase, whereas GTD brings a more global presence with watered down attention. I don't think there is an American selling/marketed brand that would want the visiblity/subsequent cost of GTLM aside from Ferrari and Aston. One could theorize that Aston is starting to do very well, turning new profits last year and the homologated Vantage would be RIPE to use in GTLM. If I recall though, IMSA kind of f**ked off Aston in GTLM a while back and they dipped out.

Kia is looking like they are trying to make a move on BMW with the Stinger...that'd surely be interesting. I'd love to see a Japanese (SUPRA !!) or Korean brand jump into GTLM but again...big investment and really needs to serve the brand. Maybe SRT should convert a big fat Hellcat into a GTLM so it looks like the Bentley GT3's running around...lol.

Last edited by KnightDriveTV; 08-04-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:22 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Just watched the last 7 minutes of qualifying. I guess the Corvettes are invisible to the ImsaTV cameras. Dropped to 3rd and 5th.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:47 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Corvette take 2nd and 3rd. I'd written them off the podium. Good job.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:40 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I missed this thread earlier as I was away. No one is ignoring GTE/GTLM, as it is very important to have factory $$ involved. There isn't much to do for IMSA as the class is pretty much tied to the WEC's GTE-Pro category.

That said, the class is in trouble long-term. Ford is only committed one more year, although they have openly stated they would like to sell cars to a customer team, not sure if a customer wants to run them in GTLM, or just head to the WEC and do GTE-AM. Lamborghini was somewhat far along in planning a program but just announced they are not going to GTE/GTLM in the near future so they can focus on the GT3 and Super Trofeo stuff. With no replacement for Ford, and Ferrari out in the US and Corvette out in the WEC (for now) that leaves on 3 manufacturers each -- not enough. Aston is probably onto something as their new car can easily be converted from GT3/GTD to GTE/GTLM, so that may help with costs if everyone can build a "2 for 1 car".

I've mentioned previously that I think the best way for GTE/GTLM to survive is to be a "GT3 Plus" class anyway -- GT3 cars with some more power and aero. Make it easy for others like Lexus, Acura and MB to join to hopefully grow the class and stem the exits.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:43 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by z28lt1
I

I think the best way for GTE/GTLM to survive is to be a "GT3 Plus" class anyway -- GT3 cars with some more power and aero. Make it easy for others like Lexus, Acura and MB to join to hopefully grow the class and stem the exits.

Lets open it up to other makes and then race.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:27 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I think IMSA believes the GTLM class is in pretty good shape. The big issue with their prototype class has an issue of equalizing the international P2 cars with the DPi cars. But also, current DPi cars are not eligible to race in WEC. And the WEC is proposing big changes for its prototype classes in the future also. So a lot of the prototype discussion in IMSA is around trying to sort out the WEC situation and be compatible - although some are also of the opinion that WEC has become irrelevant and that IMSA's has the best prototype structure and racing in the world. Anyway, I wouldn't read too much into lack of changes to GTLM - they will keep that class in line with WEC rules, so that teams can race at Le Mans. Stability of a rule set can be a good thing!
I totally agree. I think everyone will be back next year in GTLM, with the exception of Ferrari, and they may show up again in GTLM, but they seem more focused on GTD now. The WeatherTech series broke all attendance records for road racing in the US/Canada this year, they just inked a deal w/ NBC to broadcast ALL races next year, and road racing is healthier than it has been in this country for 40 years.

Depending upon what Ford does when the GT loses it's homologation, and I think it has one more year, there may be an effort to merge GTLM and GTD in some way in 2020 or shortly after. I think that would actually be a big improvement.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-11-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:58 AM
jesup16
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

GTLM isn't going anywhere. WEC is entirely based off the GTE/GTLM Platform. AM has their new car running this year and Ferrari is well supported across the pond. We just don't get the Ferrari and AM participation here... just like WEC doesn't get Corvette participation over there (except LeMans).

It would be nice if GM/Pratt & Miller would open up to a European team... and it would be nice if a big name would pick up AM/Ferrari factory efforts here.

EDIT: Also GTLM = Pro's. GTD = Pro/Am's. It makes no sense to combine Pro-AM's with all Pro teams. This is a big reason why LMP2 and DPi are splitting... besides obvious BoP issues.

Last edited by jesup16; 08-11-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:04 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I understand the differences, and the big sticking point may be remaining compatible w/ the WEC, which share dates w/ LeMans and Daytona. However, from a purely commercial standpoint, it would be amazing to have every major performance manufacturer represented if the two classes could be married.

Performance-wise in the WeatherTech series, the GTLM and GTD cars are incredibly close.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-11-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:58 PM
jesup16
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

GM and Ford have 0 customer racing programs. If they married GTE/GTLM and GT3/GTD, Ford and GM programs would disappear all together. Ferrari would be fine, as would Porsche, BMW and likely AM... who all have customer support racing programs. GM has stated multiple times they have no interest in supporting privateer teams that would/could compete directly with a Factory team. There is a talk that Ford may be selling to privateer teams after their run is up in 2020... that remains to be seen.

There is the Callaway GT3 Vette... but that's not really recognized as a GT3 car by all the series.

Get notified of new replies

To Is IMSA writing off GTLM?

Quick Reply: Is IMSA writing off GTLM?