Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joliet IL autobahn north course in a C6

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 07:33 AM
demon340
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Joliet IL autobahn north course in a C6

May go out there in a couple weeks for the first time running the north course. Running HPDE only, this is my first time at this type of event. Any one run this track? Looks like I can go around using only 3rd and 4th. I have a 07 base, M6, all fluids have been changed to redline syn, Mobil 0/40, added a 4 pass cooler to the P/S, brakes will get Motul fluid a few days before the event . Not going to go 100% ***** out as a friend will also run the car in intermediate level after I pull in. Car has newer nitto invo's with new centec solid rotors and bobcat pads.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:48 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by demon340
May go out there in a couple weeks for the first time running the north course. Running HPDE only, this is my first time at this type of event. Any one run this track? Looks like I can go around using only 3rd and 4th. I have a 07 base, M6, all fluids have been changed to redline syn, Mobil 0/40, added a 4 pass cooler to the P/S, brakes will get Motul fluid a few days before the event . Not going to go 100% ***** out as a friend will also run the car in intermediate level after I pull in. Car has newer nitto invo's with new centec solid rotors and bobcat pads.
You may want to get a set of Carbotech XP8'S at least for the front. The great thing about Carbotech brake pads is all their compounds are compatible with each other. So, when going from the 1521 (Bobcat) to the XP series (Track) pads all you have to do is swap pads and go no re-bedding no cleaning of the rotors just swap pads and go. This also saves you the cost of having to get a separate set of rotors for track or street.

F: CT731 XP8 $182.40
R: CT732 XP8 $157.70
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28

Last edited by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com; 08-09-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:50 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm a member there. The North track is the shorter of the two at 1.46 miles and 9 turns and some would say less challenging than the South. You won't need 5th however some advanced drivers down shift to 2nd for turn 2, car, speed, level, comfort, etc determines that. Will an instructor ride with you? If not, there are plenty of videos out there to give you an idea of the track layout and line.

Last edited by edge04; 08-09-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:52 PM
Walt G
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm not a member at Autobahn (not yet... thinking about it for next year), but have run there many times in HPDE's (C5Z currently, but other cars as well). I second what Adam said... don't run a street pad on any track. Also, front rotor cracking is pretty common on these cars, so you might want to have a spare with you just in case.

And I also agree with Edge04... you'll probably only use 3rd and 4th gears with 2nd gear being a possibility coming out of the slowest turn they have: turn 2 on the North configuration.

A fast line through turn 1 sets you up poorly for turn 2 and you'd want to grab 2nd gear (this is the faster way around the track... don't compromise a high speed turn to do a little better in a low speed turn). But taking turn 1 at really high speed is scary, so I usually compromise turn 1 which allows me to set up turn 2 as wide as possible, and then 3rd gear is fine.

Try it both ways as your comfort allows, and have fun.

Here's one lap on the north course where I took a conservative (safe) but still pretty fast line... sun was setting, so the lighting is pretty bad, and the GPS-based speedometer is useless, but you can get the idea. Slow turn 1, wide setup for turn 2, only went down to 3rd gear. Turn 6 is a very late apex so you can gain a lot there on the guys that don't do it right, and it's also safer because the exit of 6 is one of the few places you could find armco if you screw it up really badly.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:35 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt G
I'm not a member at Autobahn (not yet... thinking about it for next year), but have run there many times in HPDE's (C5Z currently, but other cars as well). I second what Adam said... don't run a street pad on any track. Also, front rotor cracking is pretty common on these cars, so you might want to have a spare with you just in case.

And I also agree with Edge04... you'll probably only use 3rd and 4th gears with 2nd gear being a possibility coming out of the slowest turn they have: turn 2 on the North configuration.

A fast line through turn 1 sets you up poorly for turn 2 and you'd want to grab 2nd gear (this is the faster way around the track... don't compromise a high speed turn to do a little better in a low speed turn). But taking turn 1 at really high speed is scary, so I usually compromise turn 1 which allows me to set up turn 2 as wide as possible, and then 3rd gear is fine.

Try it both ways as your comfort allows, and have fun.

Here's one lap on the north course where I took a conservative (safe) but still pretty fast line... sun was setting, so the lighting is pretty bad, and the GPS-based speedometer is useless, but you can get the idea. Slow turn 1, wide setup for turn 2, only went down to 3rd gear. Turn 6 is a very late apex so you can gain a lot there on the guys that don't do it right, and it's also safer because the exit of 6 is one of the few places you could find armco if you screw it up really badly.

https://youtu.be/xMHEIXnwZBk
Or down shift to 3rd before turn 1 and 2nd before turn 2. I only do that if I need the power to get into passing position before turn 2. But I agree, go slower into 1 to set up better for 2 and 3

Turn 6: never, never early apex. That turn is known as "never too late"
Old 08-09-2018, 02:49 PM
Walt G
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Having only done HPDE's, passing between 1 and 2 has never been an option for me, but it does seem like it would be a great passing zone in an actual race. They only allow HPDE passing (with a point by) on the front straight and between 6 and 7, at least in the events I've run.

Side note, I'd like your opinion about membership there... I'll PM you rather than hijacking this thread.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:16 PM
demon340
Pro

Great info guys, maybe I'll buy a spare set of rotors and the front race pads. It's looking like having my friend run right after I finish my 20 min beginners session without any cool down may be asking for BIG trouble ! I do plan on having an instructor, I also have the z06 brake duct work in place and some scat hose so maybe I should at least run the hose close to the rotors, ( no spindle duct system yet) .
Old 08-10-2018, 08:43 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Great info guys, maybe I'll buy a spare set of rotors and the front race pads. It's looking like having my friend run right after I finish my 20 min beginners session without any cool down may be asking for BIG trouble ! I do plan on having an instructor, I also have the z06 brake duct work in place and some scat hose so maybe I should at least run the hose close to the rotors, ( no spindle duct system yet) .
You may want to go XP10 front XP8 rear this is the proper set up especially if your doing back to back sessions.
Carbotech™ 1521™ is NOT recommended for ANY track use.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:58 PM
demon340
Pro

Best to run with full nannys I'm guessing and not competition mode??
Old 08-10-2018, 02:46 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Best to run with full nannys I'm guessing and not competition mode??
No, issue with running with nannies is you will kill your pads and rotors. For novice best is to take it easy and learn the track. Beginners tend to over brake and that tends to put a lot of heat in the braking system. You can run with the nannies on if you take it easy first thing is to check your ego at the door and listen, watch and learn.

Last edited by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com; 08-10-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:55 PM
demon340
Pro

Ok thanks guys, I'll add a extra quart of oil , double check everything, and be careful!!
Old 09-04-2018, 05:02 PM
Glowing Rotors
St Jude Drive every year
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Autobahn TracK day with your Corvette

So how did it go?

We need more Corvette members....
Old 09-04-2018, 06:21 PM
demon340
Pro

Instructor said I drove the line perfect, braking and throttle inputs were perfect. After third session noticed the belt was frayed, nursed it home and on further inspection noticed balancer bolt loose and balancer moved forward about 1/2". Replaced it with a powerbond sfi rated one and a earls/arp bolt. This must have happened before as the rack had wear marks, I'm glad I pinned the HB and also went with a aftermarket bolt torqued to 240 lbs with loctite!

Last edited by demon340; 09-04-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Joliet IL autobahn north course in a C6

Quick Reply: Joliet IL autobahn north course in a C6