Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocrossing the A-6 ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 08:12 AM
Raffman55
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist
Default Autocrossing the A-6 ?

2011 Grandsport with the A-6 automatic trans. So I've done a couple short course autocrosses with no real trans issues. However I tried a road course and experienced the shift flair when trying to shift near redline and discovered it would shift on it's own and then not shift when commanded. This is in Sport mode with paddles activated. Had a tuner firm up the shifts and checked trans fluid which was a little low so topped it off then added an extra quart. Shifted firm and felt great. Went to a Long course Autocross this weekend and trans doesn't flair anymore but still am not in command of the trans. It holds first gear for the first couple coroners but then shifts to second on its own and it takes several attempts to downshift back to first. On a long straight trying to shift up near redline I had to back off to get it to shift, lost a lot of time ! Going to try the fast relearn this week and see if that helps but is there anything else that can be done or is the auto trans just not suited for this ?
Old 08-14-2018, 03:45 PM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

I don't know a whole lot about the C6 automatics but do you have any type of transmission fluid cooler? I wouldn't think a short autoX would get the temps too high but like I said, I don't know much about the autos.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:27 PM
Raffman55
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
I don't know a whole lot about the C6 automatics but do you have any type of transmission fluid cooler? I wouldn't think a short autoX would get the temps too high but like I said, I don't know much about the autos.
Just the factory pass thru radiator. I did just order a Dewitts. I was checking trans temps and although hot nothing alarming

Last edited by Raffman55; 08-14-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:05 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I've autocrossed my 2011 GS A6 about 2 weekends per month since I bought it in 2010. I had no issues till 2016 (90K miles and thousands of autocross laps) when it did start to slip a bit. I did a trans fluid flush and refill and the problem was gone (and hasn't returned).

As for the shifting on its own...are you sure you've got the gear selector in S (not D)? In D the car will go from paddles back to auto on its own. In S (assuming I've paddled into 1st), I've never had the car upshift itself (and I've banged it on the rev limiter in both first and second many, many times). Of course hitting the rev limiter in the A6 will typically kill your autocross lap (at least in my car, hitting the limiter results in an engine retard that feels like you've just lifted off the gas...which can also unsettle the car a bit depending upon the situation).

As far as transmission temps....I've never had a problem running here in Southern California. At least not transmission temps. I have massive problems keeping the engine cool on warm days. If it's above 80 degrees, we've got the hood open in between every lap. I try to spray water in the front grill to hopefully reach the radiator, but it doesn't really seem to help.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I've had good success with my A6. I'm a solid upper mid pack level driver, but throw a National Champion level driver in my car and it's pulled street tire top time of the day several times....and that's completely stock with the exception of a front sway bar.

That all being said, I daily drive my car as well and I paddle shift it from just about every stop (typically I shift from 1st, to 2nd, to 3rd...maybe 4th, then hold the + and let the auto take over while cruising). The paddles are not Porsche PDK quick by any means, but once you start using them until they are second nature, you're brain will figure out when to shift automatically so that the shift will happen when you actually want it to happen.

But in autocross....95% of the time, there's only the one shift from 1st to 2nd for the lap anyway! Get a decent launch and once you're on your way, hit the + button and forget about it!

Last edited by DigitalWidgets; 08-14-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:23 AM
Raffman55
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

You might have something there. Going to check adjustment on the shifter, it could be sliding back in drive !

Get notified of new replies

To Autocrossing the A-6 ?

Quick Reply: Autocrossing the A-6 ?