Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPSS tire max temp usable range

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 10:27 AM
KFC-AWD
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
Default MPSS tire max temp usable range

So, Im currently using the OEM MPSS tire on my c7 GS for track days till they wear out. What is the max temps before they start to melt basically? I've attached the PDR data showing the tire temp data. The fronts were hitting upper 160's to upper 170s after 7 laps or so in 90 deg temps.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The PDR data is showing the tire temperature the TPMS sensors are detecting. Basically, they are detecting the air temp inside the tire and I don't know for sure whether or not rim temp might be conducted into the temp sensor as well. However, it is at least air temp in the tire.

What you are concerned about is tread temperature and that can only be determined by checking it in the pits at the completion of several hot laps using a probe type tire temperature sensor that can penetrate the outer surface of the tire. IR sensors will give a low reading since the surface of the tires cools down while running down pit lane. Measure the temp of each tire in three places. Near outer edge, center and near inner edge. That will tell you whether or not the air pressure is correct and can tell you if you have alignment problems based on how the temps are distributed across the tire. To get the best readings you need to run the hot lap right up until it is time to come into pit lane and it is best to have a helper standing by to take the measurements as they are very time critical.

I don't know about the full tread MPSS operating temperature range but the Cup2 is listed as performing best with a tire temp of 190 deg F.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 08-14-2018 at 01:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sub8 (08-18-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 01:41 PM
KFC-AWD
Instructor

Ya I totally forgot to actually get the tread temp! :-( I was just wondering if others have correlated the PDR data to tread temps. Hmm I didnt think about the tpms reading the actual rim temp either, damn.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:43 PM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

I'm not sure about temps but looking at your PSI levels you're getting right into the optimum range, although maybe a little late in your sessions.
From this thread; https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-on-track.html
35psi seems to be the target for track use on the MPSS.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:48 PM
KFC-AWD
Instructor

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
I'm not sure about temps but looking at your PSI levels you're getting right into the optimum range, although maybe a little late in your sessions.
From this thread; https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-on-track.html
35psi seems to be the target for track use on the MPSS.

Ya i was shooting for 34-35psi, but I wish they got to that pressure earlier. I guess I should have started them a little higher to get to the ideal range sooner in the session.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:37 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I saw the same sort of deal, but i was starting at 27 front and 28 rear and ending at 35 except the left front at 36. Temps were the same left front always higher in the 170's. In around 80 ambient.
I had no tire failure but the left front was wearing noticeably faster then the right front and the left rear maybe slightly more than right rear.
At the rate the left front outside shoulder was rubbing off i would say the loads required to push the air temps to read in the 170's is probably a little excessive for reasonable tire life but not enough to delaminate the tire and have it properly fail. So its unhappy but not unreasonable.Just my take.

Last edited by Socko; 08-14-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:57 AM
Vettdetta
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Socko
I saw the same sort of deal, but i was starting at 27 front and 28 rear and ending at 35 except the left front at 36. Temps were the same left front always higher in the 170's. In around 80 ambient.
I had no tire failure but the left front was wearing noticeably faster then the right front and the left rear maybe slightly more than right rear.
At the rate the left front outside shoulder was rubbing off i would say the loads required to push the air temps to read in the 170's is probably a little excessive for reasonable tire life but not enough to delaminate the tire and have it properly fail. So its unhappy but not unreasonable.Just my take.
Was this at Road America by chance? If so, it would make sense as The Carousel really puts a lot of abuse on the LF.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:15 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettdetta
Was this at Road America by chance? If so, it would make sense as The Carousel really puts a lot of abuse on the LF.
Yes it was and yes it does.

Get notified of new replies

To MPSS tire max temp usable range

Quick Reply: MPSS tire max temp usable range