Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Tow Vehicle] Brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 12:11 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Default [Tow Vehicle] Brake pads

Must be brake month, now my 2009 Silverado 2500 is asking for pads.

What make are you running?

Not really interested in putting the stock pads back in, not enough initial bite.

Also being my winter ride daily driver, I was thinking of PFC's

Thoughts?
Old 08-28-2018, 12:42 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Old 08-28-2018, 01:03 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I went with PowerStop Z36 pads on my 2017 F250 as I felt like there were times I was going to not get the truck slowed fast enough while towing. I'm pretty happy with these, they are not super grabby so initial bite may not be quite what you want but when the pads get hot, or you really go to stop, they work very well. Bonus, they were incredibly cheap and actually generate less dust than OEM in my application. PFC is my go-to track pad though.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:52 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Just as a data point... I ran the Hawk LTS pads on my F150. Had a nice bite to them, but the dusted pretty bad and squealed like crazy once they got warmed up. I even removed them, burnished the pads, reinstalled and rebedded the pads/rotors, and they still made noise. Eventually had to throw them away, I just couldn't take it any more.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:10 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Anyone try GLoc GS-1 street pads? They say they are good for tow vehicles. I was going to try them on my old truck, but ended up getting a '18 SIlverado before I needed to change. I too think the stock brakes could use more initial bite and fade resistance, but I dont want to swap out perfectly good pads yet.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:28 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Sub'd. I've run Hawk HPS, LTS, and ceramic. They all outperformed whatever came on my truck, but they're dusty as hell and the dust seems corrosive. Even the ceramics squeal, I'm done. Interested in what others here have found. I'd love a grabby, non-dusty pad. I'll sacrifice longevity, but want quiet.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:30 AM
Chris_ATL
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to use some Duralast gold (metallic) several years ago on my F150, and was surprisingly pleased with them. I even put them on the wife’s old Acura
Old 08-30-2018, 08:12 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

My '10 Silverado with Carbotech Bobcats and StopTech slotted rotors tows the 'vette, which has CarboTech XP8/XP10 + Centric blanks.
Bobcats barely dust at all, and never squeak. Couldn't be happier. You get what you pay for

Last edited by R_W; 08-30-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:47 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by R_W
You get what you pay for
One would think, but Hawk is damn proud of their pads and they sure don't last in a race car. I made that mistake exactly once.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:20 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Not to side track, but how's the 2009 Sliverado holding up in Boston (I grew up just north of Boston)?

I have a 2008 and that thing is big piece 'o .... The amount frame rust is insane, paint bubbles above one rear wheel, nerf bars starting to rust. And thats down here in MD! Add on the parts that have failed too soon and I'm convinced never to buy another Chevy truck again. Right now I'm wrestling the dreaded PFCM failure. Oh, there is a service bulletin for that issue on my truck but of course not my VIN (I bet they say that for all VINs).

Did I just get a POS lemon or is that the norm?
Old 09-10-2018, 11:34 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rx7Rob
Not to side track, but how's the 2009 Sliverado holding up in Boston (I grew up just north of Boston)?

I have a 2008 and that thing is big piece 'o .... The amount frame rust is insane, paint bubbles above one rear wheel, nerf bars starting to rust. And thats down here in MD! Add on the parts that have failed too soon and I'm convinced never to buy another Chevy truck again. Right now I'm wrestling the dreaded PFCM failure. Oh, there is a service bulletin for that issue on my truck but of course not my VIN (I bet they say that for all VINs).

Did I just get a POS lemon or is that the norm?
Funny you mentioned that
Two pin pricked sized rust spots just started above my rest passenger wheelwell
I'm attributing it not being worse to my having it undercoated right after I bought it
The the undercoating the shop put on was tissue paper thin
I've had to retoach the wheelwell a couple of times

As far as the electrical my only complaint so far is the passenger door lock

Glad I bought a worktruck, far less to got wrong with it

Old 09-10-2018, 12:51 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

I have used hawk hp and ebc green pads and they were both much better than oem. No noise, but they left more brake dust.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:24 PM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Must be brake month, now my 2009 Silverado 2500 is asking for pads.

What make are you running?

Not really interested in putting the stock pads back in, not enough initial bite.

Also being my winter ride daily driver, I was thinking of PFC's

Thoughts?
I ran PFC fleet pads in 2500 & 1500 no complaints & much better stopping power.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:45 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

went with some autoparts store carbon ceramics

what a difference!

Should have junked the stock pads years ago
Old 10-01-2018, 10:33 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Thought I'd be alright replacing stock pads with Duralast gold or platinum, can't recall, and duralast rotors on my Tundra. Soon got this horrible scraping noise--just like a metal lathe. Took it apart and the rotor is actually a few mm too short, so the pad extends out beyond the rotor and as it wears the pad scrapes on the rough finned end area of the rotor just enough to make a horrible constant and loud metal on metal sound. I chamfered the pads but it's coming back as they wear. It's back to OEM Toyota as they worked great, never using Duralast again. Never had a problem with them before, but it's so annoying they'll never get another chance. .
Old 10-02-2018, 08:35 PM
0Adrian @ F.A.S.T.
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

We are a HAWK direct dealer and have a friend with a 2013 Ram 1500 complaining about initial bite and overall bite of the stock brake pads. HAWK had HPS available in that pad shape and we tried it; I was not sure how they would work on a vehicle with much higher mass than a coupe or sedan. We put them on, bed them in, and he says the difference is night and day. He has recommended all his Ram 1500 friends to install HPS pads to cure that complaint. Hope this helps...
Old 10-10-2018, 05:23 PM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I had a 2003 Duramax and when I sold it at 200k miles, it still had original pads with spares under the seat.
Truck was used mostly for towing and open trailer and a 3000 pound car and a few thousand miles with an enclosed trailer.

I don't know how GM did this but they over engineered the brakes on that truck to the point I was very pleasantly surprised.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:10 PM
SpedRacr93
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
I went with PowerStop Z36 pads on my 2017 F250 as I felt like there were times I was going to not get the truck slowed fast enough while towing. I'm pretty happy with these, they are not super grabby so initial bite may not be quite what you want but when the pads get hot, or you really go to stop, they work very well. Bonus, they were incredibly cheap and actually generate less dust than OEM in my application. PFC is my go-to track pad though.
I've got 240,000 on my 07 Avalanche and I run the PowerStop rotor and pad kit. It works better than stock and has good heat management.

I ran Hawk Pads once on it and while they worked fine, they were super dusty and loud. I have them on the rear of my C4 as well and they're about to go in the trash. I won't be buying Hawk pads any more for a street vehicle.

Get notified of new replies

To [Tow Vehicle] Brake pads

Quick Reply: [Tow Vehicle] Brake pads