Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

APRacing Brakes - Constant Squealing

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 09:05 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Default APRacing Brakes - Constant Squealing

My car has the AP Racing Radi-Cal front brakes with Carbotech XP20 pads.

I recently did a track day at Road America, and the whole way back my brakes were squealing when moving. Doesn't matter if it's low or high speed. The sound goes away as soon as I touch the pedal, and it's pretty loud and irritating. Just to be sure, I checked wheel bearings for play, rotated the front pads, took out the normal retainers and put in the spring pad retainers, and did an overall brake inspection of both sides of the car. The squealing stops any time the brake pedal is pressed. This is the 2nd season with these brakes and they've been quiet as a mouse until the last track day. The only change I've made is swapping from Ferodo DS1.11 to Carbotech XP20.

I'm driving 8hrs to Mid Ohio this weekend for a 2-day event, and the squealing is pretty darn annoying. Any thoughts on what I could check or do to see what's causing it or get it to stop? There is nothing I've found indicating any kind of issue or safety related. It's just simply making a hell of a lot of noise. If someone else has been using the XP20's and it's somehow a result of that pad combo, I'd like to know that as well.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 08-30-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:16 PM
blackbeast99
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely, it’s only because the pads are not up to operating temp and/or the pad transfer/bedding process is not complete.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:17 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by blackbeast99
Most likely, it’s only because the pads are not up to operating temp and/or the pad transfer/bedding process is not complete.
So it's just a function of the XP20 pads specifically? Have you used them? They were quiet the 5hrs to Road America.

If so, that's pretty disappointing. The Ferodo DS1.11's were whisper quiet.

Also, just to be sure...this is when moving, and it goes quiet when I hit the brakes. Which is generally the opposite of standard behavior.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 08-30-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:50 AM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

My 20's would only make noise when hitting the brakes when not up to temp.
The following users liked this post:
Quickshift_C5 (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 06:53 AM
blackbeast99
Instructor

I wouldn’t rule it out, but they “should” only make noise when applying pressure/braking and not up to temp - not any sort of rotational noise (agreed). Yes, I have used them. I’m sure Adam will chime in soon.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:56 AM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Don't those calipers have anti-knockback springs?
Old 08-31-2018, 09:26 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by blackbeast99
I wouldn’t rule it out, but they “should” only make noise when applying pressure/braking and not up to temp - not any sort of rotational noise (agreed). Yes, I have used them. I’m sure Adam will chime in soon.
Yes, should only make noise when pressing the pedal. That's why I'm here. I'm lost!

Originally Posted by MySR71
Don't those calipers have anti-knockback springs?
Yes they do.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:29 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

If it is happing when driving there is some issue?? The pad will make noise when applying the brakes but should be quiet while driving. Have you tried cleaning out the brake dust from the caliper..
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 08-31-2018, 10:28 AM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
Yes they do.
So could the anti-knockback springs be putting enough pressure on the pads (keeping them against the rotors) to make them squeal even if you aren't on the brakes? Maybe they are extra sensitive to making noise if they are too cold or the transfer layer has been removed.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:38 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

So could the anti-knockback springs be putting enough pressure on the pads (keeping them against the rotors) to make them squeal even if you aren't on the brakes? Maybe they are extra sensitive to making noise if they are too cold or the transfer layer has been removed.
Could be. Only reference are the Ferodo DS1.11 on there before. Those didn't have an issue.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Usually pads will squeal under light pressure. The Carbotechs may be a little more sensitive to pressure than the Ferodo's. On the grand scale of things it isn't a big deal. You more than likely will remove the pads once you start using the car on the street.

Bill
Old 09-01-2018, 08:23 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

bingo. track pads squeell the loudest when cold and when tiny/light pressure is applied to them. if that spring is keeping a tiny bit of force pushing the pad to contact the rotor, thats your issue.
sucks ***** for the crazy price they ask for those.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:43 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

The only change I've made is swapping from Ferodo DS1.11 to Carbotech XP20.
It's not the AKB springs. Your answer is above, as pads are the culprit when dealing with squealing noise the vast majority of the time. The AKB springs wouldn't impact one pad set but not another. The Carbotech's have a different material composition and are more prone to noise. They tend to be more aggressive on the discs than Ferodo compounds. They're the primary source of the noise difference.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:15 PM
synner
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you use high temp lube on pins and backing plates. Although I tend to experience the same thing. Prior to track day quiet, after loud until i reapply. I believe the lube getting cooked off contributes.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:10 PM
Fulton 1
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

A few years ago I had a similar issue that would show itself only under normal street driving conditions. This was with the AP Racing CP5060 calipers and Carbotech XP10 pads. In my case the noise was a "chirp chirp chirp" coming from both front wheels. Frequency matched wheel speed and it would go away immediately if I touched the brake only to come back when I released the pedal. It didn't generally show itself until about 15-20mph and would sometimes go away for a short time only to come back randomly after a stop.

I tried a few things to troubleshoot it including swapping pads inboard to outboard and LH to RH, thoroughly cleaning everything, checking all of my clearances to be sure there was no rubbing or contact, and tried re-bedding the pads all to no avail. My wheel bearings were SKF's that had just been replaced a year or so prior so I was confident they didn't both suddenly start making noise. Finally, I just decided to install a fresh set of pads and that did the trick - the noise was gone. I ended up switching to the DS1.11s not too long after that, but the noise never did come back.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:45 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
A few years ago I had a similar issue that would show itself only under normal street driving conditions. This was with the AP Racing CP5060 calipers and Carbotech XP10 pads. In my case the noise was a "chirp chirp chirp" coming from both front wheels. Frequency matched wheel speed and it would go away immediately if I touched the brake only to come back when I released the pedal. It didn't generally show itself until about 15-20mph and would sometimes go away for a short time only to come back randomly after a stop
Same exact noise I have.

I just did 2 days at Mid Ohio without a problem. The noise has never gone away, but I checked everything 100% and was convinced it was just the pads and it wasn't an actual issue.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:41 PM
blackbeast99
Instructor

Same exact noise I have.

I just did 2 days at Mid Ohio without a problem. The noise has never gone away, but I checked everything 100% and was convinced it was just the pads and it wasn't an actual issue.
Sweet!

Get notified of new replies

To APRacing Brakes - Constant Squealing

Old 09-10-2018, 11:11 PM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 925 Likes on 683 Posts

I'm using hawk dtc for my daily and I get the school bus break sound when lightly stopping

this is with stock calipers

when braking at more than 20 mph I get no noise

I get no noise when slowing without brakes

Last edited by drewz06; 09-10-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:59 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Decided to do two more track days before storing the car for the year. I've never been happy with the constant issues and noises from running the Carbotech XP20, so I swapped the Ferodo DS1.11's back in and all the problems and noises went away.

Not only that, but I managed to burn up the XP20 rear pads in only 3 track days. The DS1.11's are lasting significantly longer. Same with the front pads on the AP kit. Very dissapointing. The Ferodo's are much more expensive, but at this point I'm just moving back to those for next year. The XP20's were flat out annoying and wore out very fast.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:56 PM
Fulton 1
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Decided to do two more track days before storing the car for the year. I've never been happy with the constant issues and noises from running the Carbotech XP20, so I swapped the Ferodo DS1.11's back in and all the problems and noises went away.

Not only that, but I managed to burn up the XP20 rear pads in only 3 track days. The DS1.11's are lasting significantly longer. Same with the front pads on the AP kit. Very dissapointing. The Ferodo's are much more expensive, but at this point I'm just moving back to those for next year. The XP20's were flat out annoying and wore out very fast.
Glad you got it solved and good choice on the pads. The DS1.11s have worked great for me.

Quick Reply: APRacing Brakes - Constant Squealing