Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Amateur Endurance Race Car Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 01:07 PM
the5
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C6 Amateur Endurance Race Car Questions

Hello Guys,
Looking into building a C6 into an endurance race car. Wondering if anyone has done so and if so what would they recommend?

For the series we are running the car will need to have a Minimum Fuel cell of 26 Gallons Preferably closer to 29, Is this possible in the corvette?

Also as far as engines the car needs to make around 500-550 Hp at the wheels reliably for 9-24 hour races, For reference the car needs to do 1:30-1:32 at Road Atlanta, 1:58-59 at Watkins Glen, 1:55 at VIR full to be able to compete with the caliber of cars.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2018, 01:37 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Interesting project. I have not built an endurance car but am familiar with the C6 and am in the process of converting it into a sprint racing and time trials car.

Either a C5 or C6 will work. If I had to do it again I would purchase a completed car and probably a C5. You could even start with a roller. You will probably need to add the fuel cell unless you can find a car with one already. An LS3 with a dry sump will make all the power you need it to.

What class and sanctioning body of amateur endurance racing?
Old 09-16-2018, 01:40 PM
the5
Instructor

Originally Posted by Racingswh
Interesting project. I have not built an endurance car but am familiar with the C6 and am in the process of converting it into a sprint racing and time trials car.

Either a C5 or C6 will work. If I had to do it again I would purchase a completed car and probably a C5. You could even start with a roller. You will probably need to add the fuel cell unless you can find a car with one already. An LS3 with a dry sump will make all the power you need it to.

What class and sanctioning body of amateur endurance racing?
The LS3, I see that is a very common engine to swap into any Corvette. Any reason everyone goes with these engines over the Ls7 ect? Also what upgrades could I do that dont sacrifice Reliability? Also I forgot to state the engine will be running on 93 Octane.

The Car would be run In AER or American Endurance Racing in Class 5/Overall
Old 09-16-2018, 02:24 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by the5
The LS3, I see that is a very common engine to swap into any Corvette. Any reason everyone goes with these engines over the Ls7 ect? Also what upgrades could I do that dont sacrifice Reliability? Also I forgot to state the engine will be running on 93 Octane.

The Car would be run In AER or American Endurance Racing in Class 5/Overall
Reliability from my experience is better with the LS3 and they are cost effective.

I would go for making the car the lightest weight they allow for the class making whatever reasonable amount of power you need to in order to stay competitive. Don't worry about significant internal engine mods for making more power. In my experience they are counterproductive when the goal is superior reliability. 93 octane won't be an issue.

I would ask for their help with a project like this. They ended up using an LS2 for this project and are with it right now at COTA for Nationals. Looks like they are winning TT3.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ght-c5z-4.html

Good luck! Sounds like fun!!
Old 09-25-2018, 05:51 PM
HULLY
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hello Guys,
Looking into building a C6 into an endurance race car. Wondering if anyone has done so and if so what would they recommend?

For the series we are running the car will need to have a Minimum Fuel cell of 26 Gallons Preferably closer to 29, Is this possible in the corvette?

Also as far as engines the car needs to make around 500-550 Hp at the wheels reliably for 9-24 hour races, For reference the car needs to do 1:30-1:32 at Road Atlanta, 1:58-59 at Watkins Glen, 1:55 at VIR full to be able to compete with the caliber of cars.

Thanks!
If the rules will allow I would run the factory tanks and add a 8-12 gallon fuel cell to get you to the compacity you are wanting. It will be very expensive to put bladder style fuel cells to get you to 26-29 gallons in a corvette C5/6.

You can easily get to the hp #s you are wanting running a stock bottom end LS7 with ported heads and a good road racing cam.

My car is not an endurance raced car. I have raced it ar Watkins Glen in several sprint races. C5 corvette won the 2016 NASA Eastern states ST1 championship with a LS7 restricted to 460hp and weighed around 3150 I think. Fast lap of 1:54.5 which also set the ST1 track record. I have also ran TA3 in the same car with LS2 restricted to simular hp with less areo and approx 3000# with fast lap of 1:55.2. In both of these races we were running slicks.

Not sure what tires you will be running or what weight you will be at, but maybe these results will help.

Don McMillon
Old 09-25-2018, 06:41 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HULLY

You can easily get to the hp #s you are wanting running a stock bottom end LS7 with ported heads and a good road racing cam.

My car is not an endurance raced car. I have raced it ar Watkins Glen in several sprint races. C5 corvette won the 2016 NASA Eastern states ST1 championship with a LS7 restricted to 460hp and weighed around 3150 I think. Fast lap of 1:54.5 which also set the ST1 track record. I have also ran TA3 in the same car with LS2 restricted to simular hp with less areo and approx 3000# with fast lap of 1:55.2. In both of these races we were running slicks.

Don McMillon
In your experience Don how is the reliability of the LS7 for your purposes?

Awesome times!! That is just flying!!
Old 09-25-2018, 10:03 PM
HULLY
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
In your experience Don how is the reliability of the LS7 for your purposes?

Awesome times!! That is just flying!!
I have had good luck with them. To be clear the ones I have raced have been balanced and had head work and aftermarket cam installed. They also had aftermarket dry sump systems.

I rely heavely on advise from Louis Gigliotti (GSpeed) and Anthony Forney (HPR) when it comes to my engines.
The following users liked this post:
Racingswh (09-26-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 10:32 AM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 641 Likes on 401 Posts

Hello Guys,

Thanks!
Power is easy. Cooling/Reliability, Suspension and Weight would be the areas to start with. You are welcome to give us a call 972-429-1963.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:41 PM
0Adrian @ F.A.S.T.
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

We raced our car in the NASA 25 HR in 2016, we had no problems over the 25 hrs. I think the biggest thing is heat insulation, cooling, heatshields, coolers for everything and not to install over-engineered parts that will fail. We have a dry break mount to the passenger side for quicker access to the pit wall and to hold 1-2 gallons more fuel the tube running across to the other side.

To run those times consistently I would go with the 480 hp LS3 crate motor and add a drysump to it. It will make around 470 rwhp with headers, intake, and a good tune.

Last edited by Adrian @ F.A.S.T.; 10-02-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:49 PM
EdsC6Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

A buddy just built a C6 Grand Sport and he never found a good solution to the fuel capacity issue. Just running HPDE's now getting it sorted. Curious what you do to solve it.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:36 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Thanks!
No one is running those lap times in Class 5 at AER with 200TW tires. You'd be the only guy doing those times, at least at WGI. See if you can get ahold of Alex Ruebenstein from AER to talk about his class 5 C6. He had his share of problems, car was ultimately crashed and totaled at WGI this year, and he was happy not to build another one. But he definitely knows his stuff on endurance racing Corvettes and he'd be happy to share his experience with you.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:34 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts

500-550whp for 24 hours would take a proper LS7. Sleeved block, endurance based camshaft, compression on the lower end, and good cylinder heads. It will be costly for certain, as the engine will need to be put on a preventative maintenance schedule, or you will be replacing items as they fail, and potentially cost you more money in the long run .

As don said, keep the stock tanks, and add a 5-10 gallon feeder cell, or utilize the patch tank as the main tank, essentially an overzised surge tank.

Good luck with it.

"Keeping You on Track!"
http://www.gspeed.com
877-512-5180

Instagram_Facebook_YouTube

GSpeed C7Z Cooling Development

2014 NASA Texas TT1 Champion
2015 NASA Texas ST1 Champion
2018 NASA TTU & TT3 National Champions
2019 NASA ST2 National Champion
2019 NASA Texas TT2 Champion
2020 SCCA Majors COTA GT2 pole sitter
2020 SCCA Trans Am Road Atlanta SGT Winner
2022 NASA National Champion ST2
2023 NASA National Champion ST2
2023 NASA National Champion TT2
Old 10-08-2018, 05:11 PM
the5
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
No one is running those lap times in Class 5 at AER with 200TW tires. You'd be the only guy doing those times, at least at WGI. See if you can get ahold of Alex Ruebenstein from AER to talk about his class 5 C6. He had his share of problems, car was ultimately crashed and totaled at WGI this year, and he was happy not to build another one. But he definitely knows his stuff on endurance racing Corvettes and he'd be happy to share his experience with you.
Well We are running close to that with our Mustang all on 200tw Street tires
2:02 at Watkins, 1:26 NJMP, 1:33 at Road Atlanta

The reason I asked in the first place is I feel we reached a point that anything more that we do to the mustang will be $$$. I know the corvette is a better platform and might make the move before putting anything more into the mustang.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:12 PM
the5
Instructor

Originally Posted by GSpeed
500-550whp for 24 hours would take a proper LS7. Sleeved block, endurance based camshaft, compression on the lower end, and good cylinder heads. It will be costly for certain, as the engine will need to be put on a preventative maintenance schedule, or you will be replacing items as they fail, and potentially cost you more money in the long run .

As don said, keep the stock tanks, and add a 5-10 gallon feeder cell, or utilize the patch tank as the main tank, essentially an overzised surge tank.

Good luck with it.
How much would a motor like that cost? I see motors as consumables so want to make sure its not outrageous.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:06 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Well We are running close to that with our Mustang all on 200tw Street tires
2:02 at Watkins, 1:26 NJMP, 1:33 at Road Atlanta

https://youtu.be/pNJ2DdNSu9s?t=1245
Ahhhh you guys are BBY. Well except for YOU, no one seems to be running those lap times! Aren't the Sahlens cars running mere 2:06s at WGI?

My motor can do close to what you're talking about and it was 15kish. 402ci stroker built by Golen Engines. Did 600hp/600tq on his engine Dyno. You'll be well over 20k going with what G Speed was suggesting, but he'd know better than anyone since he builds those motors.

Last edited by Mark@AMT Motorsport; 10-08-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:05 PM
the5
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
Ahhhh you guys are BBY. Well except for YOU, no one seems to be running those lap times! Aren't the Sahlens cars running mere 2:06s at WGI?

My motor can do close to what you're talking about and it was 15kish. 402ci stroker built by Golen Engines. Did 600hp/600tq on his engine Dyno. You'll be well over 20k going with what G Speed was suggesting, but he'd know better than anyone since he builds those motors.
They ran 2:03 to our 2:02, While at Road Atlanta We had the 458 Challenge to deal with which ran a 1:31 to our 1:33.

The main reason of this post was to look into corvettes and see if it makes sense financially. The motors we currently run our Mustangs only cost $4500, while the motor I would need to put in is more like $15k. '

But in the end a Heavy car like ours (3500 with driver) with a Stick axle in the back is at a disadvantage to a Corvette.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:43 AM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts

The motors we currently run our Mustangs only cost $4500 [...]
What motor is that? My other track car is a Mustang that I share with a couple friends. We're not in a hurry to change motors, but at that price I can't help but be curious.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Amateur Endurance Race Car Questions

Old 10-09-2018, 12:44 AM
the5
Instructor

Originally Posted by NSFW
What motor is that? My other track car is a Mustang that I share with a couple friends. We're not in a hurry to change motors, but at that price I can't help but be curious.
Stock Coyote engine, Mustang motor $4500 and 11:1 Compression, Truck engine is 10.5:1 and a little cheaper
Old 10-09-2018, 12:52 AM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts

Stock Coyote engine, Mustang motor $4500 and 11:1 Compression, Truck engine is 10.5:1 and a little cheaper
Thanks!

Old 10-12-2018, 05:26 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

The main reason of this post was to look into corvettes and see if it makes sense financially. The motors we currently run our Mustangs only cost $4500, while the motor I would need to put in is more like $15k. '
At $4500 that's a bit less expensive than the engine in a Corvette running 2:02's at the Glen.

Impressive times. Most of the Mustang's I have seen aren't quite that quick except for the Phoenix cars which are a little quicker but I don't know the differences in their cars.

I do not believe that in comparison a Corvette makes financial sense. It will be quicker but not more cost effective.

After watching the video at WG it looks like pace is traffic dependent? Looks to me like the Car/Driver combination is already faster than everyone else?

Last edited by Racingswh; 10-12-2018 at 05:35 PM.

Quick Reply: C6 Amateur Endurance Race Car Questions