Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who uses Improved Racing baffles and what is your experience?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 11:00 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Default Who uses Improved Racing baffles and what is your experience?

I am curious how many people here are using the Improved Racing oil pan baffles.

How long have you used them?

How often do you track your car and on what kind of tires?

How well do they work and how do you know they are working?

I am interested in their potential use/suitability to improve the life and durability of Spec Corvette LS6 engines.

Thanks,

Oli
Old 09-20-2018, 09:53 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

I use their oil pan baffle in my C6Z. Car is a NASA TT1 car with full aero, on Hoosier R7s driven 10/10ths. It is also sees quite a bit of HPDE as I instruct with a number of groups in the NE. I'd say I've been at the track 35+ times this year and broken just about every single part on the car this season, which is typical for me in a given year, to give you an idea of how much I push the car. I have no way to determine or measure how well the baffle works, except that I have no oiling issues and maintain adequate pressure with no starvation even at high oil temps and when pushing the car very, very hard at race speeds with high lateral Gs and for extended periods of time. I also run the Improved Racing crank scraper and AVIAID dry sump tank insert. I will say that the Improved Racing pieces are of high quality, built well and fit perfectly. When I examined it, it is easy to see how the louvered baffle plate helps trap oil flung off the crankshaft and send it to the bottom of the pan, which promotes encouraging the oil to go to the pick-up tube. There is also a trap door which only goes one way that keeps the oil at the pickup tube. So just by looking at it, I can see its usefulness and am confident it is doing something (even though I have no way to directly measure or determine this). The fact that I have no oil starvation issues suggests the baffle is positively contributing.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:55 PM
jonnyc
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

i have them on my c5 track car but haven't got the car on track yet so i can't say how they perform but after installing them and see how they are designed i think they would be a big help with keeping oil at the pickup.it acts like a surge tank for a fuel cell.with the baffles and an accusump i don't know if a dry sump would be any better.you would have to be in a high g turn for a long time to starve the motor of oil with those two things installed. maybe auto club might? idk
Old 09-21-2018, 12:03 AM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I have the baffles and trap doors. I have two alarms
for anything under 25psi. No alarms or low oil pressure at Cota with full aero on sticker Hoosiers
Old 09-21-2018, 02:51 AM
BOTTLE FEDvette
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
I use their oil pan baffle in my C6Z. Car is a NASA TT1 car with full aero, on Hoosier R7s driven 10/10ths. It is also sees quite a bit of HPDE as I instruct with a number of groups in the NE. I'd say I've been at the track 35+ times this year and broken just about every single part on the car this season, which is typical for me in a given year, to give you an idea of how much I push the car. I have no way to determine or measure how well the baffle works, except that I have no oiling issues and maintain adequate pressure with no starvation even at high oil temps and when pushing the car very, very hard at race speeds with high lateral Gs and for extended periods of time. I also run the Improved Racing crank scraper and AVIAID dry sump tank insert. I will say that the Improved Racing pieces are of high quality, built well and fit perfectly. When I examined it, it is easy to see how the louvered baffle plate helps trap oil flung off the crankshaft and send it to the bottom of the pan, which promotes encouraging the oil to go to the pick-up tube. There is also a trap door which only goes one way that keeps the oil at the pickup tube. So just by looking at it, I can see its usefulness and am confident it is doing something (even though I have no way to directly measure or determine this). The fact that I have no oil starvation issues suggests the baffle is positively contributing.
I run the same thing. Car is manly a autoX car but I been on NCM and Gateway MSP track a few times this year. No issues with oil pressure dropping. Gateway has a high speed, high G and long left turn. I know I’ve seen over 1.2gs on 200TW tire.

I would buy again.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:05 AM
Erik L
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the C6Z06 dry sump is a completely different animal then the wet sump used on the Spec C5 cars.
The following users liked this post:
NSFW (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 08:32 AM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Their stuff is very high quality. I have the crank scraper and pan baffle in my 06z.

A good pan baffle is always a good idea for a track car and the Improved Racing products are super well-built
Old 09-21-2018, 11:29 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Mordeth did you happen to look at the Aviaid LS7/9 Oil Pan Trap & Baffle Assembly when you were considering your purchase of the Improved Racing one? I figure you probably did if you're running the tank insert. If so, why did you pick the Improved Racing over the Aviaid?
Old 09-21-2018, 12:18 PM
cwikstro
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
I am curious how many people here are using the Improved Racing oil pan baffles.

How long have you used them?

How often do you track your car and on what kind of tires?

How well do they work and how do you know they are working?

I am interested in their potential use/suitability to improve the life and durability of Spec Corvette LS6 engines.

Thanks,

Oli
My nephew ran his C5 FRC Race car over 1 year with this and an accusump, no issues, (just sold it). Worked well. A7 tires, well sorted, championship car. You know him Zack George. I am running the much more expensive dry sump option, also with no issues. Hope this helps.

Last edited by cwikstro; 09-21-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:33 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
Mordeth did you happen to look at the Aviaid LS7/9 Oil Pan Trap & Baffle Assembly when you were considering your purchase of the Improved Racing one? I figure you probably did if you're running the tank insert. If so, why did you pick the Improved Racing over the Aviaid?
The AVIAID trap and baffle is also a very nice piece and likely performs the same as the Improved Racing. I did look at it prior to my purchase. I went with the Improved for two reasons:

1) The Improved Racing piece is a bolt on, exact fit solution. There is no drilling of the pan required (like AVIAID) as Improved Racing uses the existing holes. So no drilling or silicone required, no extruding studs and no worries over leaks.
2) Improved Racing was $50 cheaper.
Sox-Fan (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 04:50 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 367 Likes on 314 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by Chets LS3
I have the baffles and trap doors. I have two alarms
for anything under 25psi. No alarms or low oil pressure at Cota with full aero on sticker Hoosiers
Please expand on the engine, oil pan, and generation of car. Is this a LS3 car if so GS dry sump or base? Not doubt the results just curious the details
Old 09-21-2018, 06:17 PM
Erik L
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Oli are the Spec C5 cars seeing issues with oil starve?
Old 09-21-2018, 07:12 PM
lbs90ZR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running the crank scraper, ls3 pan baffle, and trap doors in a bat wing pan. Ls3 stroked . Just got it done middle of this summer. It has seen 5 track days. It needs over 1 quart exyra, probably close to 2 to maintain oil pressure. It has katech oil pressure shim and Accu sump with 45 psi switch and led light, so I know if it is triggered. I did see pressure coming down before adding extra oil. R7 tires. Ls3 pan baffle takes some massaging to fit in the bat wing pan. It has never triggered the accusump except at idle when the oil temp is 280.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:02 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik L
Oli are the Spec C5 cars seeing issues with oil starve?

No. None that I have seen. But some racers are concerned so we are examining options effective and more affordable than dry sumps.

Personally I think we are looking to solve a problem that does not exist for this class, but if it brings peace of mind to some owners and drivers.....
Erik L (09-22-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 04:32 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

I had the trap doors for the batwing pan on my C5. Never had any oil related issues. Super easy install, quality parts, perfect fit and a cheap mod .I have their LS3 crank scraper and pan baffle that will be going into my C6 real soon.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:03 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

I just installed their baffle in my LS6 powered sand rail. It experiences Higher g’s and crazy angles of the engine due to the terrain. I don’t think I’ll be any oiling issues ths coming dune season.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:44 PM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by AzMotorhead
I just installed their baffle in my LS6 powered sand rail. It experiences Higher g’s and crazy angles of the engine due to the terrain. I don’t think I’ll be any oiling issues ths coming dune season.
Have you had oiling issues with other gen-3 Chevy V8s in the past?

Last edited by NSFW; 09-23-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:28 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by NSFW
Have you had oiling issues with other gen-3 Chevy V8s in the past?
last year I had a lifter trunion fail in a motor that was only 1 season old. Main bearings showed a little wear.Dont know if either was a result of oil slosh but I'd rather spend a little to ensure oil at the pickup, than packing up after a couple of runs.
Now I should get one for the LS2 in the track car.
NSFW (09-24-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Who uses Improved Racing baffles and what is your experience?

Quick Reply: Who uses Improved Racing baffles and what is your experience?