Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What SCCA solo class would I be in?

Old 09-25-2018, 05:55 PM
Walt G
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default What SCCA solo class would I be in?

I thought I'd be able to figure this out easily for myself (what SCCA solo class I'd fall into), but it's trickier than I expected. I'm hoping that to an experienced solo guy, this is a simple question/answer.

The things I think might matter (probably some don't, some I'm sure do):

2004 Z06 (Z16)
stock engine internals
headers with original Ti exhaust
vararam intake
tuned
DeWitts radiator with integral oil cooler
stock brakes other than braided stainless flex lines, pads, and front DRM cooling duct system
stock C5Z rear wheels all around
square 315/30-18 Toyo R888Rs
poly bushings (Afe/Pfadt kit, which includes offset upper arm mounts to get a little more camber)
DRM steel steering rack bushing
DRM-valved Bilstein shocks

I think those are the only things that might matter for solo class purposes.

I built this car for having fun at HPDEs, and it has worked very well for that. I clearly was not targeting any particular solo class when I did my upgrades. But now I think I'd like to try solo and see if I like it. Heck, for my first time they'll probably just stick me in a 'novice' class and not care what I did to the car.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:40 PM
eric1855
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The R888Rs would put you in SSP with those mods, or SSM (once class up)

If you swapped to a 200+ treadwear tire you could also run CAM-S
Old 09-27-2018, 09:32 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by eric1855
The R888Rs would put you in SSP with those mods, or SSM (once class up)

If you swapped to a 200+ treadwear tire you could also run CAM-S
If running local or regional events, if you like the race compound rubber, SSP or SSM. If running National Events, you would need to do some additional mods to be competitive. Same goes for CAM S, except with CAM S if running on smaller lots the stock power can be an advantage sometimes. Especially if running local events where they only know tight Miata style courses.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:05 AM
Walt G
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks guys. For now I just want to try it out. If I get bit by this particular bug, I'll figure out what class I want to be in and change the car to be competitive in that class.

Just out of curiosity, did you both say 'SSP or SSM' because of my metal steering rack bushing, which is not allowed under rule 15.8.E for Street Prepared, but maybe the local tech guy would let that one slide since it really doesn't make any difference to the way the car drives (verses a Delrin piece which would be allowed)?
Old 09-29-2018, 11:17 AM
jcarothers
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt G
Thanks guys. For now I just want to try it out. If I get bit by this particular bug, I'll figure out what class I want to be in and change the car to be competitive in that class.

Just out of curiosity, did you both say 'SSP or SSM' because of my metal steering rack bushing, which is not allowed under rule 15.8.E for Street Prepared, but maybe the local tech guy would let that one slide since it really doesn't make any difference to the way the car drives (verses a Delrin piece which would be allowed)?
SSP or SSM solely because of the sub 200tw tires.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:53 AM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Walt G

yes either SSP or SSM

Get notified of new replies

To What SCCA solo class would I be in?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What SCCA solo class would I be in?