Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOLO 2 DL and TPMS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 09:14 PM
Dropspeed
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default SOLO 2 DL and TPMS?

Quick back story: Purchased my 2011 C6 GS in 2015 and had an issue with the TPMS sensors randomly disconnecting from the car throwing the tire pressure warning. This was on multiple sets of wheels with no rhythm or reason. I have 3 different sets of track wheel and tires. After reading I determined it was phone charger plugged into the center console 12V....have not used it since and haven't had a problem since.

Today went out on track with my new AIM SOLO2 DL plugged into the OBDII and the TPMS were acting all haywire. Pressures were not even remotely close to my manual race gauge when I checked at the valve stem. I then drove the car home and all of a sudden 3 of the TPMS disconnected,

At this point I realized the WIFI on the SOLO 2 was on.

Question is: has anyone had ay issues the AIM SOLO2 DL causing interference with the TPMS?

Last edited by Dropspeed; 10-05-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:12 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Never had an issue on my 2013. AIM Solo DL for 6 years.

How old are the sensors? Seems like the batteries go after 6-8 years and strange stuff happens.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:56 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

TPMS systems operate at 333 MHz. That is about an order of magnitude less than the frequency range of a bluetooth device. The bluetooth device won't interfere with them.

Bill
Old 10-05-2018, 06:55 AM
Dropspeed
Instructor

Thanks for the responses.

The sensors are brand new and were just installed on new wheels and tires Tuesday. They could all be faulty, but that doesn’t seem likely.

The C6 does have issues with TPMS sensors and interference. I researched this spring 2017 and came across enough info buried in threads that I just stopped using the phone charger plugged into the center console 12v socket and it worked. Did not have a single problem with 12 sensors in total since then (3 sets of wheels get swapped around, track dependent).

This is not what I was looking for, but if you skip the General info you can see others have had similar issues, and most just blame the sensor or battery life.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-pressure.html

I turned the WiFi off and unplugged the Solo 2 from the OBD2 port last night. Took the car for a 30 minute spirited drive and had no issues. If we don’t get a downpour here in MI this weekend I will experiment more and on track with an without the Solo 2 plugged in and WiFi on and off.

Matt
Old 10-05-2018, 07:40 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Not sure why people are commenting when they don't have or use the unit.

Anyhow, I use the Solo II DL in my C6Z race car. When plugged into the OBDII it 100% interferes with the KEY FOB. I have tested it and can reproduce the interference on demand. When plugged into the OBDII, the DIC will read "No Key Fob Detected". The car will start after a few times but the message persists. Unplug the Solo II from the OBDII and the issue immediately goes away. It doesn't seem to be related to the WIFI, but rather whether you are plugged into the OBDII or not. Tried it on another C6Z at the track and same problem.

I have not had an issue with the TPMS using the unit though. All TPMS read normally and that is on multiple sets of tires/wheels and with reprogramming as needed. So I'm not sure why yours is doing it. But it is clear that the AIM Solo II DL is interfering with the electronics on a C6Z in arbitrary ways. My buddy has the same issue (No KEY FOB DETECTED when AIM Solo II DL is plugged into OBDII). There is no issue with batteries or malfunctioning RCDLR or Key Fobs or otherwise (all verified to be working). The unit itself is interfering.

I would test the TPMS both with the unit plugged into the OBDII and not plugged in and leave the WiFi on whatever setting you have it. If you can, with certainty (like I did) pinpoint it to the AIM SOLO II then I would suggest you contact AIM directly in Roanake. They are pretty good about responding to things. I've notified them of my issue and am hoping that some kind of firmware update in the future will fix it.

The only workaround you might have is to unplug the steering wheel sensor from under the dash so that the car cannot engage AH if the TPMS go wonky.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mordeth:
Dropspeed (10-05-2018), LagunaSecaZ06 (07-29-2019), lobsterroboto (06-14-2019)
Old 10-05-2018, 09:54 AM
Dropspeed
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Not sure why people are commenting when they don't have or use the unit.

Anyhow, I use the Solo II DL in my C6Z race car. When plugged into the OBDII it 100% interferes with the KEY FOB. I have tested it and can reproduce the interference on demand. When plugged into the OBDII, the DIC will read "No Key Fob Detected". The car will start after a few times but the message persists. Unplug the Solo II from the OBDII and the issue immediately goes away. It doesn't seem to be related to the WIFI, but rather whether you are plugged into the OBDII or not. Tried it on another C6Z at the track and same problem.

I have not had an issue with the TPMS using the unit though. All TPMS read normally and that is on multiple sets of tires/wheels and with reprogramming as needed. So I'm not sure why yours is doing it. But it is clear that the AIM Solo II DL is interfering with the electronics on a C6Z in arbitrary ways. My buddy has the same issue (No KEY FOB DETECTED when AIM Solo II DL is plugged into OBDII). There is no issue with batteries or malfunctioning RCDLR or Key Fobs or otherwise (all verified to be working). The unit itself is interfering.

I would test the TPMS both with the unit plugged into the OBDII and not plugged in and leave the WiFi on whatever setting you have it. If you can, with certainty (like I did) pinpoint it to the AIM SOLO II then I would suggest you contact AIM directly in Roanake. They are pretty good about responding to things. I've notified them of my issue and am hoping that some kind of firmware update in the future will fix it.

The only workaround you might have is to unplug the steering wheel sensor from under the dash so that the car cannot engage AH if the TPMS go wonky.
Mordeth,

Thank you for the response. That allows me to play with the unit and figure my work abounds!

Regarding the Key Fob Issue you are experiencing, I am not. I probably started the car 6 to 10 times with the Solo 2 plugged in to the OBD2 port yesterday with no Key Fob issues.

-Matt

Last edited by Dropspeed; 10-05-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:53 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Yea it is wonky and there is some kind of intermittent interference going on. Make sure you have the latest firmware as they keep updating it. Also, make sure you have adjusted your settings in Racestudio 3. For example change the auto-on/off to "GPS speed" and 20mph. Don't use RPMs. Also be sure to load the CPU protocols for LS7/C6Z. It is listed under "GM" and not "Corvette" (go figure). If you have any trouble I can post screenshots of my settings.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:31 PM
Dropspeed
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Yea it is wonky and there is some kind of intermittent interference going on. Make sure you have the latest firmware as they keep updating it. Also, make sure you have adjusted your settings in Racestudio 3. For example change the auto-on/off to "GPS speed" and 20mph. Don't use RPMs. Also be sure to load the CPU protocols for LS7/C6Z. It is listed under "GM" and not "Corvette" (go figure). If you have any trouble I can post screenshots of my settings.
I did speak with AIM early today (very helpful) and they suggest many of the same items. I will play with it more this weekend and report back if I don't get rained out.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions,
Matt
Old 06-14-2019, 12:28 PM
Flying24
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I’m currently at the Glen, first time using the AIM SOLO2 DL. Next to last lap on my first session on the front straight my car almost goes sideways as the service tire monitoring system comes on. So I’m trying to manage getting back to the pits, checking the sensors they show pressure as well I reprogramed them. I updated the firmware and turned off the WiFi hopefully this will take care of the possible interference that maybe occurring.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:20 PM
Flying24
Burning Brakes

So after a day of working on it, I have determined with the unit plugged in the tires pressures don’t update on the DIC. Last session I left it unplugged and absolutely had no issues. Next session I have select all ECU channels to include TPS hopefully it will behave itself
Old 06-15-2019, 12:33 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

That's a new one for me. I have never had issues with TPMS while using the AIM Solo II DL. And if I run without TPMS I just pull out the steering wheel position sensor from under the dash and this prevents the car from intervening if it detects a malfunctioning TPMS. I run all nannies off anyhow.

Also, I believe "TPS" stands for Throttle Position Sensor in the AIM ECU settings.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:38 PM
Flying24
Burning Brakes

I have the correct ones selected there are 4 of them I should have been more pacific
Old 06-15-2019, 01:00 PM
Mugen1516
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't know how I missed this post when it originated but I too have had issues with TPMS and an AiM Solo 2 DL and interference. My car is a 2010 GS.

My TPMS readings would drop out and I initially chalked it up to too many signals flying around the car (2 GoPros with WiFi on and phone in car with Bluetooth and WiFi on along with the Solo 2 DL). TPMS readings would drop out and then I could not reprogram until I unplugged the Solo 2 DL.

Now, I make a habit of not taking my phone with me and know to suspect the Solo 2 DL if it happens. Wish there was a fix
Old 06-15-2019, 02:17 PM
Flying24
Burning Brakes

Well last session noticed tires pressures not coming up or my fuel quantity not lowering 2 laps from the end of the session I do a pass through the pits and disconnected the AIM devise from the ECU. Tire pressures and fuel quantity correct so the devise is definitely the issue
Old 06-15-2019, 02:39 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

I'm going to start spamming the AIM guys at Roanoke for an update to our ECU parameters. They told me last week that they were going to "unpublish" the LS7 ECU as it is completely screwed up. And I think that using the LS2 ECU parameters has it's own set of issues. Everyone should start spamming them with emails for a fix.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:44 PM
Flying24
Burning Brakes

Wondering what the return policy is, this is my first time using this devise?
Old 06-15-2019, 03:54 PM
Mugen1516
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I emailed AiM and also linked this thread to the AiM Sports Users FB group to see if we can get some help.

Last edited by Mugen1516; 06-15-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To SOLO 2 DL and TPMS?

Old 06-16-2019, 11:14 PM
pielet97
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Came across this thread right before I purchased, I think I'll wait until they figure out the LS7.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:28 AM
Flying24
Burning Brakes

I would wait,I’m going to see what the return policy today I have just used the unit this past weekend. With my experience, almost wreaking a few times. I don’t feel comfortable with it connect to my car.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:41 AM
Flying24
Burning Brakes

I sent this email to the AIM rep I was dealing with as well as the dealer I purchased it from
Good Morning
I’ve just returned from my first weekend using the AIM SOLO2 DL at Watkins Glen. Where do I start, I have the unit setup as to directions using the LS2 ECU file. Now I didn’t select all the channels available that were offered. First session 30 minutes a few laps before the checkers, going through turn 1 the tire monitoring system warning goes off as well brakes being applied by the cars computer BCM. So the car thinks it’s about to wreck so it takes this action. But at that speed i came close to wrecking, I limp it back to the pits with each corner same thing but of course now I’m expecting it. Got back to the garage checked my sensors every thing seemed fine. Next session 25 minutes just as the checker comes out turn one I literally saved the car as I go over the rumble strips off track. This time same warning but I was able to isolate it to a right rear tire so had I had sensor replaced. When reprogramming the sensors they wouldn’t respond until I unplugged the SOLO2 DL from the OB2 port. Next session same result just be the checker flag turn one rumble strips off the track. I couldn’t believe it same thing twice WOW. So that was first day, that night I reconfigured the unit just to make sure as well select all channels on the LS 2 ECU file, before it was just a few. Next day first session I leave it disconnected for the 30 minutes session NO problems. Next session 25 minutes, I started checking items on my display and notice my tire pressures are at there cold settings, with 2 laps to go I know the wreck is coming soon. So I do a pass through the pits disconnected the the device and i see the tire pressures rise as well my gas quantity moves almost a third of a tank. I continued on with no issues, no brainer it’s the AIM SOLO2 DL. PLEASE HELP, otherwise I need to return this before I have a serious issues or potential causes someone harm.

Last edited by Flying24; 06-17-2019 at 07:44 AM.

Quick Reply: SOLO 2 DL and TPMS?