Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth upgrading to a c6z

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 01:00 PM
Brad Williams
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth upgrading to a c6z

I'm just looking for some opinions here on experience, feel, performance etc. of a c6z vs a c5 coupe and whether or not i should take my mostly track driven car and spend $20k to upgrade to a c6z or continue down the rabbit hole with my high mileage car. Is the C6z worth the upgrade? I've always wanted one, but i'm very curious as to other's opinions with more experience in both cars. My hope is to have 1 car that i have the desire to drive more on the street, while making upgrades that increase it's on track performance.
So after i work through my next set of consumables on my 1999 coupe that has 144k miles on it, i want to make some changes. I want it to be more fun on street and track, i want it to have some serious brakes and serious hp. Not so much for lap times as just entertainment, and to make it more fun on the street. Right now the car has gt2 coil overs, g2 bars, AFE poly bushings, elite tunnel plate, pads, stock rotors, stock motor with headers open exhaust, z06 staggered wheels, dewitts radiator, pretty basic. Seats, harnesses and a welded in 4 point bar that can be upgraded to a full cage if i wanted to make the leap. shifter, steering wheel. the normal stuff for better feel and experience.
Ive always really liked the c6z, for both looks and appearance. And it seems like to me it unlocks several performance upgrades over a c5. Can run big tires and brakes easy. has the 427, the beefier diff and trans. etc. But for the cost to let me car go and get one i would want. Thats at least 20k more than my car is worth. So if i were to instead put that money into my car in a full set of track worthy big brakes, an ls3 engine and and fully rebuilt driveline some more cooling. Would the net result be a better experience than the c6z? I just wonder if it's worth the trip down the rabbit hole with the c5.
My main objective is to make it fun for track use 6-7 times a year and have a fun hotrod to play with on the street, and enjoy mountain roads. Maybe this is ridiculous and subjective. But i would appreciate if anyone had experience to chime in. thanks for reading the post.

Last edited by Brad Williams; 10-06-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:08 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

follow your heart man, C5's are awesome but the C6Z is my favorite corvette of all times. You have simple aero upgrades if you choose, like you said it already comes with some nice parts, but they still have their limits.

You'll go just as fast with your car for the money, but if you are doing this for fun, pick the car that you like. Honestly, you would end up doing much of what you have already done if you get the C6z, and you'll pay more than just the up-front costs by a long shot in the end.

Stroker LS6 will be much easier than trying to retrofit and LS3 in your car...too many adapters to adapt!!
The following users liked this post:
Brad Williams (10-07-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 04:37 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

For a pure track car, I might prefer a C5. It's lighter and cheaper. You can make the same power in both platforms. For $20k, you can make a ton of power.

I guess the real advantage of the C6Z is wider body/wider tires. After that, they might as well be the same car when you're talking about a dedicated track car. C5 will need some more upgrades earlier (oiling, BBK, etc), but you're talking $2500 vs $20k. The C6 oiling and brakes and oiling leave plenty to be desired anyway. IMO, it's why C5s held their value so well relative to C6s.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:20 PM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Wouldn’t trade my tracked C5 for a C6. I’ve got 450hp at the rear wheels, AP Racing brakes and I don’t get passed by C6Z06. The C7 are another story, too much horsepower, but don’t want one of those either.

Last edited by maj75; 10-06-2018 at 06:21 PM.
JRitt@essex (10-10-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 08:22 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

I have had 2 C5Z's and 2 C6Z's the last being a 2011 ZO7. If I were starting over and was still in a C5Z I would stay in it for the track. I love my Zo7 for many reasons but the track is not a defining reason. I actually drove my C5Z faster and liked the handling better. It needs a little help but after cooling, brakes, aero, and bit more power it is the proven package. It's cheaper to keep that is for sure. I have been to spring mountain and driven the C7Z and I have been at the track with those guys, you couldn't give me one. If you look at the Optima Challenge, any autocross and look around at any HPDE, it is the package of choice. I love the high revving LS7 but that has it's issues too. My car is too nice for track duty and I always reflect that I should have kept my C5Z for track and C6Z for the street!! 2 vettes no Bueno! My vote would be throw 10K in your car.

Last edited by seamus2154; 10-06-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:30 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Originally Posted by maj75
Wouldn’t trade my tracked C5 for a C6. I’ve got 450hp at the rear wheels, AP Racing brakes and I don’t get passed by C6Z06. The C7 are another story, too much horsepower, but don’t want one of those either.
I have 565 rwhp, AP Radical brakes, polys, sways, and LG coil overs, on R888's....I bet I pass you!!!!! Sebring, Homestead, PBIR???? When are ya going next? Finally starting to cool down down here! LOL LOL.....................

I'm Joking, just Joking....But I am the all blacked out C6Z with the punisher sticker on the back!!! LOL See ya at the track!
JRitt@essex (10-10-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 11:29 AM
Brad Williams
Intermediate

Originally Posted by maj75
What AP brake kit do you run? Just front? All 4?
Old 10-07-2018, 11:31 AM
Brad Williams
Intermediate

Originally Posted by seamus2154
I have 565 rwhp, AP Radical brakes, polys, sways, and LG coil overs, on R888's....I bet I pass you!!!!! Sebring, Homestead, PBIR???? When are ya going next? Finally starting to cool down down here! LOL LOL.....................

I'm Joking, just Joking....But I am the all blacked out C6Z with the punisher sticker on the back!!! LOL See ya at the track!
Sounds very close to my ideal c6z setup.. How much do you love it?
Old 10-08-2018, 08:53 AM
seamus2154
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brad Williams
Sounds very close to my ideal c6z setup.. How much do you love it?
Coming from an 2008 C6Z to the 2011 Zo7 it was a night and day difference. I felt they really got it right, brakes were insane, and suspension was great especially on the street, much more compliant. Absolutely loved the car. I thought I had a track/street car with all I needed. It did get me through my first year of tracking and I had a ton of fun. But the flaws were starting to show. Then I went to spring mountain racing school. After buying new CC rotors twice, pads many times I quickly learned CCB can do track duty but can't hold up and are a VERY expensive maintenance item. Stock tires were a nightmare to have swapped over at most shops. The suspension was not up to par. I didn't want to play around figuring what works. After seeing what worked at the track for so many, I called LG, they matched up the correct springs and valving for me and some sways. Called Essex for the AP radicals, and put on a set CCW 10's 18" with R888's, track alignment and corner balance. I find it to be an insane package with no guesswork. Huge difference and a dream at the track. I have not one complaint...I'd say I love it! I literally just do fluid changes, tires, alignment and put it on the trailer and go with no issues.
JRitt@essex (10-10-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 10:13 AM
anth115
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I own a C6Z that sees some HPDE time, and my vote goes to the C5 for a trackday toy. My thoughts/observations:
- Cheaper consumables & more options for them (tires, brakes, etc.).
- Can be made just as capable for less money (for the most part, aside from really detailed stuff like ABS modules etc.).
- Both cars can easily run up front at most HPDE run groups.
- You already have a C5 with plenty of good mods.
- The C5 is considerably cheaper to buy/replace, so slightly less financial risk to tracking it.

The LS7 is a gem and the C6Z is an absolutely amazing car.
I just think that when you add in real-world dollars and real-world risks, the C5 hits the mark for most folks for less money. If money wasn't an issue, then yes I would go C6Z.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:45 PM
paul69camaro
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Anth115 nailed it. Like many others, I own both a c5Z and a c6Z. Both built for track duty. The C6Z is way faster for sure but to be honest, it is not anymore fun that the c5Z. Like everyone here has mentioned, the cost to run the c6Z is significantly higher than the c5Z. Also, to get out of your current prepped car and into a properly prepped c6Z will probably cost more than 20K. LS7's have oiling issues as stated before that need to be addressed if running over 6200 rpm, ontop of the common head issues of dropping valves. It simply is not as relaible as the ls6. Trust me on that, my C6Z blew up and my 109K mile LS6 is still running strong. Once I get the C6Z together again, it will be the back up track car to the 03... Now for street driving, the C6Z wins hands down.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:22 PM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
For a pure track car, I might prefer a C5. It's lighter and cheaper. You can make the same power in both platforms. For $20k, you can make a ton of power.

I guess the real advantage of the C6Z is wider body/wider tires. After that, they might as well be the same car when you're talking about a dedicated track car. C5 will need some more upgrades earlier (oiling, BBK, etc), but you're talking $2500 vs $20k. The C6 oiling and brakes and oiling leave plenty to be desired anyway. IMO, it's why C5s held their value so well relative to C6s.
i thought the c6z was lighter.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:29 PM
paul69camaro
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They are very close in weight. My c5Z weighed 3020 lbs and the C6Z weighed 3080. The c5Z has a harness bar vs the 4 point RPM Roll bar in the c6Z.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:52 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

i thought we were comparing a regular c5 to a c6z. according to my info, the c6z it about 80 lbs lighter.

Last edited by romandian; 11-05-2018 at 12:53 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:01 PM
Brad Williams
Intermediate

Lots of interesting opinions here, I really appreciate everyone chiming in. I think the sex appeal of the c6z is great, I just got back from VIR and with corvettes as plentiful as miatas used to be there was a lot to see. Everything from a new zr1 on slicks and radical brakes to a plethora of c5's and everything in between. Being out there always lends a perspective easily missed. And the fact is. On track a car that is happily lapping hard without overheating or bad handling habits and is reasonably fast is the thing I enjoy most. My c5 really has that just as it sits. Could it use 100hp of course! But i feel like that's always true. The car loves to be driven hard and never protests.
at the end of the day a c7z is what's really fast for a street car on track and is by far the best street car even if the looks are just OK.. at least that's what I observe at the track. C7s are fastest, c6s look the best and c5s are just the best cost to performance available right now.
I think the real move is into a dedicated race car for track work. ARCA stock car or a Radical or something. But that's another conversation. For now I'll probably focus on seat time and maybe a BBK when these tires/pads wear out.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:47 AM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

C6Z Against a C5 coupe? lol come on man!

Get notified of new replies

To Is it worth upgrading to a c6z

Quick Reply: Is it worth upgrading to a c6z