Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on autox classes and what I can mod General help for a noob

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 11:15 PM
Joseph Morris
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on autox classes and what I can mod General help for a noob

I've been reading. the scca website and on here but I'm kinda confused. At what classes a c5 vette are in. I just picked up a c5 corvette 2002 6 speed. Allways been worried about a straight line so now I'm mixing things up and wanting to get into auto cross. Car has 160000 miles on it and already,has a bad rear main leak. So I wanted to know what all I can modify while I have the car apart. Control arm bushings, engines and etc. I like to do things all at once especially since ill have the rear cradle and all removed and get to stuff easily. I'm putting a better clutch in it that I already had. But i have seen where some classes require stock clutches or something. The scca kinda confusing to me. Any help on the classes and what class most people are in or what class is good for a noob. And links to what mods are allowable for each class. I like competitive stuff. I like to compete. Gives me more motivation to improve. Instead of just having fun. But i would like to know what class ill be shooting for and prepare the car for it and go to a couple events and go from there. Thank you very much.

Last edited by Joseph Morris; 10-17-2018 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Didn't specify autox
Old 10-18-2018, 08:52 AM
Matt_27
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

It's not a Z06 right? If so there is a fairly simple progression since a base C5 fits into a bunch of classes.

First is BS, which only allows for shocks, front sway bar, and 200tw tires on wheels that are stock width, +/- 1" in diameter. If you are just getting into autocross I would highly suggest staying in this class, as it allows you to focus on driving which is the main point of autocross.
Next is STU which allows for basically any bolt-on suspension mod, headers+intake+tune, race seat, wider wheels and tires (still 200tw).
After that are some race tire classes like SSP and SSM, and CAM-S which keeps you on 200tw tires but is otherwise unlimited. CAM-S is popular since you can do whatever you want to your car, but to be competitive you need a well setup car on big BFG Rival S tires.

The base C5 is a good platform to learn on with just stock parts. Adding Koni shocks and a bigger front sway bar does really wake it up. I'd try to stay in BS as long as you can.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:00 AM
Joseph Morris
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_27
It's not a Z06 right? If so there is a fairly simple progression since a base C5 fits into a bunch of classes.

First is BS, which only allows for shocks, front sway bar, and 200tw tires on wheels that are stock width, +/- 1" in diameter. If you are just getting into autocross I would highly suggest staying in this class, as it allows you to focus on driving which is the main point of autocross.
Next is STU which allows for basically any bolt-on suspension mod, headers+intake+tune, race seat, wider wheels and tires (still 200tw).
After that are some race tire classes like SSP and SSM, and CAM-S which keeps you on 200tw tires but is otherwise unlimited. CAM-S is popular since you can do whatever you want to your car, but to be competitive you need a well setup car on big BFG Rival S tires.

The base C5 is a good platform to learn on with just stock parts. Adding Koni shocks and a bigger front sway bar does really wake it up. I'd try to stay in BS as long as you can.
how about a clutch setup in bs class. It didnt realy say anything about it st all which may mean No I can't. But i have a new act flywheel and clutch setup I allready had from a another build and wanted to use it instead of it just sitting. Does ssp and Ssm allow after market clutches.

also the car has drilled and slotted rotors on it from the previous owner not sure if that is stock. Does the b.s. class allow any brake pads to be used and any rotors as long as it diameter isnt different or something

Last edited by Joseph Morris; 10-18-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:09 PM
Matt_27
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

BS requires OE clutch according to the rules. Any brake pads are legal and drilled/slotted rotors are fine (maybe not to the letter of the rule but no one will say anything). I'd get them changed out to blanks sometime soon though, the stock C5 rotors have enough problems cracking as is.

Honestly if you are just getting started and don't plan on going to any National events you will be fine with the aftermarket clutch in BS. You can do a clutch in SSP so it'd be technically legal there but your car would be really far from competitive.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:04 PM
Josh67
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What ever you do replace the guibos and install a remote clutch bleeder when the gearbox is out.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions on autox classes and what I can mod General help for a noob

Quick Reply: Questions on autox classes and what I can mod General help for a noob