Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Data Loggers recommendations..?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 05:42 PM
Raffman55
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist
Default GPS Data Loggers recommendations..?

I've been searching and not finding an affordable logger that can record for two different drivers. I often share my car with my son at Autocross and some road courses. I downloaded the Harry's app but never got to try it out this year. Would like something we could study later on a laptop too. Any help is appreciated .
Old 11-05-2018, 05:59 PM
jpb1978
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have an Android device, RaceChrono Pro is good, and only $8.00.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:16 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts

AIM solo is by far your best investment. Couple that with a Smarty cam, and you can leave it in the car, record everything with out tying up your phone, and never miss a session.

"Keeping You on Track!"
http://www.gspeed.com
877-512-5180

Instagram_Facebook_YouTube

GSpeed C7Z Cooling Development

2014 NASA Texas TT1 Champion
2015 NASA Texas ST1 Champion
2018 NASA TTU & TT3 National Champions
2019 NASA ST2 National Champion
2019 NASA Texas TT2 Champion
2020 SCCA Majors COTA GT2 pole sitter
2020 SCCA Trans Am Road Atlanta SGT Winner
2022 NASA National Champion ST2
2023 NASA National Champion ST2
2023 NASA National Champion TT2
Old 11-06-2018, 01:46 PM
Mugen1516
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GSpeed
AIM solo is by far your best investment. Couple that with a Smarty cam, and you can leave it in the car, record everything with out tying up your phone, and never miss a session.

​​​​​​I second this. I used Harry's LapTimer for the longest time on my Android device with an OBDLink MX for data and Dual XGPS160 SkyPro Bluetooth Receiver for more accurate GPS.

Overall, the setup worked okay. It was a nuisance having to verify all the sensors were connected before heading out on track. Sometimes the GPS receiver would go to sleep or the OBDLink would not be connected to HLT and therefor not record. Or sometimes the HLT app would not start the session timing automatically like it was supposed to or cut a lap when it was supposed to (and just record one big loop).

I have an AiM Solo 2 DL now and it is so much simpler. Just turn it on and get on track. No issues so far. Starts when it's supposed to automatically and records the lap likes it's supposed to.

If you can get an AiM Solo of some sort that's what I'd do instead of deal with the headaches of the lap timer apps. I tried Track Addict too and had similar problems with recording.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:03 PM
Raffman55
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I have heard of problems with AIM Solo. So Solo 2 must be improved ?
Old 11-06-2018, 02:11 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

We have never ever experienced any issues with the Solo, but thats not to say there were not issues. Having said that, the soloII is a nice update, lots of info and knowledge applied to that part, and happy with its performance!
Old 11-06-2018, 02:19 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 213 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C7 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

What problems have you heard with the aim solo?

For parking lot cone avoidance I would change the track width from 30 to 15 on the aim.

If you use Harry's laptimer, an external 10hz GPS would be the most beneficial.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:52 PM
Raffman55
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by lobsterroboto
What problems have you heard with the aim solo?

For parking lot cone avoidance I would change the track width from 30 to 15 on the aim.

If you use Harry's laptimer, an external 10hz GPS would be the most beneficial.
Some amazon reviews said it didn't work out of the box. I think someone here in the classifieds was selling one because of too much fiddling with it .....
Old 11-06-2018, 09:19 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

It is absolutely a powerful piece of hardware, but once you learn the software (I can explain it over the phone, or you can watch the youtube tutorials) You will be blown away at the ability it has. If you want to go fast, you must be a student of the tools it takes to do so. Data Acquisition and data analysis are big in racing, so big you can do nothing other than data analysis and earn a living doing so. There is a learning curve, but its short and sweet.
The following users liked this post:
Raffman55 (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 09:24 AM
Raffman55
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

It is absolutely a powerful piece of hardware, but once you learn the software (I can explain it over the phone, or you can watch the youtube tutorials) You will be blown away at the ability it has. If you want to go fast, you must be a student of the tools it takes to do so. Data Acquisition and data analysis are big in racing, so big you can do nothing other than data analysis and earn a living doing so. There is a learning curve, but its short and sweet.
Will probably wait till spring but will def check out the youtube videos
Old 11-07-2018, 09:29 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Now you might have sold me on the data analysis. You have a recommendation for a starting point learning the AIM's tools?
Old 11-07-2018, 09:35 AM
eric1855
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Solostorm is great and works on track too, not just AutoX and can collect a ton of data and is relatively cheap.

I've become a big fan of HP Tuners Track Addict, it is a free app and has a ton of great features.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:10 AM
kdm123
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

I HATE, HATE, HATE AiM products.

I used both the AiM Solo and an expensive AiM Evo data logger with the SmartyCam video. I had multiple hardward and software problems until I finally just gave up and went to a RaceLogic data logger.

Besides the harward and software issues with AiM products, there are two other major flaws with these data loggers. First, you cannot do video and data integration--meaning you can't see your data and video on the same screen. The other problem is that they measure your distance from the start/finish line, not your actual GPS position at any time. This means that if you were to compare, say, where two drivers applied the brakes, you'd have to consider that with the AiM data logger the two drivers could be braking at exactly the same point, yet looking at the data they may appear to be braking 20 feet apart because one driver has a driven a different distance from the start/finish line.

My advice to the OP would be to continue to use the Harry's lap timer. I used to use that as well, and I think it's a really good system, especially considering how inexpensive it is. Once you get very familiar with using a data logger, then I would suggest moving up to a RaceLogic product.

I currently use a RaceLogic Vbox Sport. It's a basic, three of four hundred dollar system, and I'm very happy with it. That said, as with the AiM products and probably all other data loggers, it's not without bugs, and you do have to put a lot of time into learning how to use the software and to work around its problems.
The following users liked this post:
Raffman55 (11-07-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 08:45 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a two camera RaceLogic VBox system in my car. The data analysis software is called Circuit Tools. The system automatically integrates video and data: The video itself has a data overlay on it and then within Circuit Tools - the video and data are displayed together for analysis. A great feature is that you can load two separate videos with data at the same time and analyze together. For example - say you have a friend who is faster than you and also has a VBox. If you get his data and video files (for same track) you can analyze against yourself. Lets say turn 1 at VIR. Using data you can see exactly where he brakes vs you brake - i.e. look at the time vs distance graph. Then the video is syn'd - so you see exactly where that point is on track - like what brake marker he is braking at vs you. Its pretty amazing and very valuable - side by side comparison of two videos - with the data from both shown on the same graphs. So easy to pick out every little difference between two drivers (or two of your own sessions) and see where the differences are in the video.

But on the other hand - not many people run VBox. Far more use AIM. Thus its easier to get AIM data (even if the software isn't as good).

Last edited by argonaut; 11-08-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:23 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

One thing that a lot of people overlook is what there friends are running - if you can share/compare data with someone with a similar car this will not only help you get better they can also help you figure out how to use the hardware/software. Even if the system they use isn't the one rated best you will get more out of it if you can work with someone who has had the system and is willing to share their knowledge.

That being said I'm also a big fan of the Racelogic VBox products - if you want video integration it's a very nice system - it can be pricey though.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:07 AM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 213 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C7 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport

One thing that a lot of people overlook is what there friends are running - if you can share/compare data with someone with a similar car this will not only help you get better they can also help you figure out how to use the hardware/software. Even if the system they use isn't the one rated best you will get more out of it if you can work with someone who has had the system and is willing to share their knowledge.

That being said I'm also a big fan of the Racelogic VBox products - if you want video integration it's a very nice system - it can be pricey though.

that's a really good point.

I get so frustrated with Racestudio2 sometimes just randomly crashing when i open tests and what not.

But I share data and being able to easily compare laps with others in my class is worth the frustration.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:21 PM
NiceGuySanti
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We just started using the Apex Pro digital track coach unit - It is very easy to use when compared to my Aim Solo DL. I am very impressed with how it tells you the real time available grip.

Get notified of new replies

To GPS Data Loggers recommendations..?

Old 11-08-2018, 01:52 PM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by eric1855
Solostorm is great and works on track too, not just AutoX and can collect a ton of data and is relatively cheap.

I've become a big fan of HP Tuners Track Addict, it is a free app and has a ton of great features.
This. Solo Storm coupled with a Race Capture Pro/DL-1. Solo Storm provides quick data analysis at the track/between runs/sessions, and the better data coming off of the RCP/DL-1 will give you plenty to look at after the event, should you choose that. We've passed my RCP around to a couple different cars, and used it for quite a bit of development, both car and driver, in both my C5 and my buddy's GTL Honda racecar. Solo Storm provides everything you need between runs for quick driver development: GPS, Ay, Ax, and time slip.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:50 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I would disagree that the AIM stuff doesn't work. I have an AIM SOLO and a Smarty CAM. I don't use the AIM SOLO much anymore because the only advantage it gives over the the Smarty CAM is immediate feedback. If I went to a new track, I would use the SOLO because it can do immediate feedback about a current lap and you can see in real time what works in turns/shifting immediately. It can run a predictive lap that is extremely helpful in learning a new track. The post software analysis isn't intuitive but once you figure it out you can use the data to run multiple laps simultaneously in an animation and determine how to make your fastest lap.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:27 AM
Raffman55
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Do you think Consumer Reports would do a "Shoot Out" ?

Quick Reply: GPS Data Loggers recommendations..?