Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on C2 Alignment Specs for street vs track day

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 06:55 AM
1Cerberus4u
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Advice on C2 Alignment Specs for street vs track day

Hey all;

Just picked up a C2, pretty modified with Van Steel suspension, including coil overs, adjust able a arms etc...

Anyone willing to share aggressive street/track day alignment specs?

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2018, 08:37 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Alright, I was holding off waiting for somebody who does more street/track setups, but since nobody has replied I'll take a shot. Understand please that my experience is with stock-type suspension (and all the warts that go with it). I'd start with something like this:

Front camber 1.5-2* negative
Front caster approx. 5* or as much as you can get with your setup
Front toe 0

Rear camber 1-1.5* negative (approx. 0.5* less than front)
Rear toe 1/8-1/4" total (I run closer to 1/4" or maybe even a little more, due to the toe steer of the rear suspension. Your setup may allow you to get away with less.)

Vansteel should have an alignment guide posted somewhere I'd think.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:31 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

http://www.vansteel.com/PDFs/6382AlignmentSpecs.pdf
Old 11-09-2018, 06:43 AM
1Cerberus4u
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Great, Thanks!

When it comes to geometry, what do you find works best for ride height and what angles ranges should a arms and rear toe links be set at ?

Best

Andy
Old 11-09-2018, 08:59 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1Cerberus4u
Great, Thanks!

When it comes to geometry, what do you find works best for ride height and what angles ranges should a arms and rear toe links be set at ?

Best

Andy
I can't honestly say, I just tried to get my car as low as possible (primarily an autocross car), and I don't have rear toe links to worry about.

With your setup I'd call Vansteel for recommendations.

Last edited by 69autoXr; 11-09-2018 at 08:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
1Cerberus4u (11-09-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 12:07 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Cerberus4u
Hey all;

Just picked up a C2, pretty modified with Van Steel suspension, including coil overs, adjust able a arms etc...

Anyone willing to share aggressive street/track day alignment specs?

Thanks!
I use my 78 mainly for Road Course track days. I would change from street to track day alignments often, but it depends on how much street vs track days the car is used for.

Street Alignment is the easy one. Factory settings gives you best tire life. Great if you drive many miles a year with your corvette. This is not the norm. Most do less than 1500 miles a year, and if you are in this group I would not worry about street vs track alignment and stay on the street aggressive/ track alignment.

Look at this https://tech.corvettecentral.com/201...ignment-specs/ this is a good spec starting point for a street only car.

So lets start with best track alignment. This will take many track days to learn what each track / road course likes.
So here is what to look for.
1. Tire Pressure hot while on the track.
2. wear pattern at all 4 corners.
3. Type of tires used.

The goal is to maximize tread life with maximum grip.

For track days find a solution that allows you to get tire pressure in real time. I use a product from TireMinder https://www.minderresearch.com/
For my local track I use the following.
Caster > 5.4 degrees
Camber -2.8 to -3 degrees.
Front toe ~ 0
Rear toe ~ 1/8"

I started @ - 1.8 camber and for my local track. The outer edge of the tires wear pattern was much higher than I liked.
I also determined toe settings ~ 1/8" for the rear helps with high speed braking. Less Toe more squirrely feeling during braking.
Front Toe settings depends on how you want the car to turn in. Toe out for quicker turn in with less steering. Usually toe in settings makes the car feel like its under steering.
More caster makes the steering return to 0 better for a smoother feel exiting a corner.

There is no perfect alignment, it depends on tires/size/ pressure on track / track temp your desired driving style. So expect to adjust based on taking constant measurements after each track session.

So if you plan on switching street to track and back to street then it is worth investing time on learning DIY Alignment setups.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on C2 Alignment Specs for street vs track day

Quick Reply: Advice on C2 Alignment Specs for street vs track day