Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Entry Level Data Acquisition Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 04:08 PM
MR Turco
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Entry Level Data Acquisition Recommendations

Looking to improve lap times with some data. I would like to make a purchase over the winter but struggling to decide. Here are the few options I've looked into but hoping you guys can share anything else you might be using.

Looking to keep budget ~$500

Harry's Lap Timer: Cheap cost of entry but will it be something i really want to grow with?
AIM Solo II: Likely the most growth potential but not as many features for initial costs.
Apex Pro Track Coach: Trainer seems like a good concept esp at my current driving level, nice design and form factor, but seems to have minimal feedback.

Others?
Old 11-12-2018, 05:16 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Do you have a C7 with the PDR? If so, all you need is the software.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:56 PM
NiceGuySanti
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've used all 3, most recently I have really started to get into the Apex Digital Track Coach, it is so much easier to use than my Aim setup (solo DL and Smartycam) and way more complete than Harry's. I love the fact that I can quickly and easily look at my session, pick a lap that I want to focus in on and then break it apart, no PC needed, all from my iphone. I like it so much that I picked up a spare unit to use with my advanced students next year, I can run a session with them and as soon as they pull into the paddock we can start analyzing their driving on the spot. Additionally, I can overlay my data on their session and use it to show where possible improvements can be made as well.
The biggest plus on the Apex unit is the information it gives you real time, this is something that I just started paying attention to now that I trust the lights! Check their youtube channel or go onto their FB users group page for more info.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp1...ew=0&flow=grid

Last edited by NiceGuySanti; 11-12-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:54 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I've used AIM SOLO non-DL and it is extremely helpful and portable between vehicles. If you have canbus, the DL SOLO is even better.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:48 AM
kflee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NiceGuySanti
I've used all 3, most recently I have really started to get into the Apex Digital Track Coach, it is so much easier to use than my Aim setup (solo DL and Smartycam) and way more complete than Harry's. I love the fact that I can quickly and easily look at my session, pick a lap that I want to focus in on and then break it apart, no PC needed, all from my iphone. I like it so much that I picked up a spare unit to use with my advanced students next year, I can run a session with them and as soon as they pull into the paddock we can start analyzing their driving on the spot. Additionally, I can overlay my data on their session and use it to show where possible improvements can be made as well.
The biggest plus on the Apex unit is the information it gives you real time, this is something that I just started paying attention to now that I trust the lights! Check their youtube channel or go onto their FB users group page for more info.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp1...ew=0&flow=grid
Is there any way to easily marry this data with video? Preferably with a GoPro?

thanks,
Kirk
Old 11-13-2018, 09:27 AM
NiceGuySanti
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, there is a software called Race Render, it allows you to overlay multiple camera inputs with the data from pretty much any lap timer.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:54 PM
kflee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NiceGuySanti
Yes, there is a software called Race Render, it allows you to overlay multiple camera inputs with the data from pretty much any lap timer.
Awesome! I may have to try this out.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:18 PM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

What car? That'll determine what is available on the CAN bus, and that'll determine what you need to get the most from a driver training perspective. As mentioned, C7 with PDR = done. All you need is the free Cosworth software to analyze the data and an SD card. As your car gets older, it takes more effort.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:19 PM
MR Turco
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mattastick
what car? That'll determine what is available on the can bus, and that'll determine what you need to get the most from a driver training perspective. As mentioned, c7 with pdr = done. All you need is the free cosworth software to analyze the data and an sd card. As your car gets older, it takes more effort.
c5z
Old 11-16-2018, 11:47 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Most people I know are using Aim Solo for C5's and Aim Solo DL's for cars after 2008 with the compatible OBD2 protocol that your smog check guy plugs into. The C5 is OBD2 but an early version not supported with DL. But you may want to check if the new DL is compatible. I doubt it. Much info can be gathered just from the Solo for the C5Z. The guys are using it with video and racerender. I'm just using mine as a laptimer. It works flawlessly and all I have to do it power it on and it figures out what to do. Often at SCCA races the Aim van is there. About once a year I hand them my unit and they update for free firmware or add any new tracks and sometimes new track configurations.

Last edited by fatbillybob; 11-16-2018 at 11:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Entry Level Data Acquisition Recommendations

Quick Reply: Entry Level Data Acquisition Recommendations