Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sick and tired of cooking the brakes.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:35 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

dang thanks for the heads up. that sucks. i wonder what size die that would need? to have ready?
Old 11-29-2018, 12:03 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
dang thanks for the heads up. that sucks. i wonder what size die that would need? to have ready?
M10 1.0 as I recall. After you break the line loose, rotate it back and forth, basically using the old line as a die. Seems like it’s the rear lines that cause the most trouble and they’re a little more difficult to access.

Remember, you’ll have fluid running out of the hardline so be sure to watch the level in the MC. Leaving the cap on the MC will slow the flow slightly.

one other “btw”....if the new lines aren’t DOT approved, they likely aren’t coated. That means debris can get in between the SS braiding and result in cut lines. Always be sure to carefully inspect the lines, especially if you have an “off” into gravel. While it probably won’t happen....better safe than sorry

Last edited by 96GS#007; 11-29-2018 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:50 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

No die, needed, just spin the smooth end of the flare nut against the file a bit. The compression of the fitting tends to mushroom the end of the straight section a bit backing up to the flare on the tubing.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:04 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Damn I forgot about that. I don't think my new Wilwood lines are DOT. What do you think about a single layer wrap of electrical tape? It shouldn't significantly change the stiffness.

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
one other “btw”....if the new lines aren’t DOT approved, they likely aren’t coated. That means debris can get in between the SS braiding and result in cut lines. Always be sure to carefully inspect the lines, especially if you have an “off” into gravel. While it probably won’t happen....better safe than sorry
Old 11-29-2018, 04:16 PM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,190 Posts

What about that high heat rubberized sleeve/tub people use for oil cooler lines near headers. That should be fairly resilient to road debris.

https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/fire-shield-sleeve

Last edited by smitty2919; 11-29-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:57 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Rx7Rob
Damn I forgot about that. I don't think my new Wilwood lines are DOT. What do you think about a single layer wrap of electrical tape? It shouldn't significantly change the stiffness.
I’m sure tape would work but I like smitty’s idea. Tape will eventually unwrap but it’s fast and easy.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:32 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

Old 11-29-2018, 09:36 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Heat shrink is easy to apply before you install the lines. The shrink comes in different shrink ratios with 10:1 great for protecting lines of all types. I have some that expired for DOD use and I was able to buy it at a good price as surplus. Check around for USA made products as I have experienced some china stuff that failed (split) on new hardware and we made the vendor replace it will the proper spec heat shrink.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:55 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Most all ss hose kits are produced with a jacket on them today to keep out dust from getting into the weave. Clearly better than we had some 20yrs ago.

That said there is no such thing as a DOT approved hose. The US does not issue such thing and relies on self compliance to being DOT compliant. What makes one "compliant"? The hose must have a strain relief on the end at the fitting. Most of the time this is a black plastic slip over cover. It's really more cosmetic than functional...slide it back off, it doesn't do much. Also the hoses cannot use chassis adapter fittings- if you have a stubby adapter between the chassis end and the 3AN hose end (adapter with the clip holding it) then that's not a compliant hose.

Various manufacture do different things for different reasons....at the end of the day nobody inspects or verifies your hose kits to be approved by anyone but the manufacture itself..

*As a side note, most TCE spec hoses use a straight npt adapter to the Wilwood brand caliper and then a 45 or 90 AN3 hose end. We do this specifically to ensure our customers have the pipe thread tight and cannot break it off trying to "index" or "point" the fitting the direction they desire. The hose end is infinitely adjustable for this and can be quickly changed without potential damage to the caliper. And like the rest they are compliant, but not 'approved'.
The following 2 users liked this post by Todd TCE:
crimlwC6 (12-01-2018), smitty2919 (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 01:10 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 734 Likes on 544 Posts

That pipe thread bullsh*t is the biggest knock against Wilwood, in my opinion...
Especially when it needs to be 'clocked'.
Carroll Smith would be appalled.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:57 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

I finally opened the box on the lines supplied by WW. As Todd mentioned, they are fully jacketed so no need for an additional sleeve.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:39 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

well $hit, i got everything in the mail for my brake upgrade except the calipers.
well i just a message from ebay saying the seller refunded my order. obviously didnt like me stealing them for 15% off on black friday code on a "big" item
Old 12-03-2018, 03:02 PM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Hmmmm someone would be getting a call...
Old 12-03-2018, 03:09 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by romandian
be sure to report the results.

in the meantime, somebody enlighten me why all these aftermarket calipers are stiffer. they are all aluminum and usually claim less weight. as any type of aluminum will have the same modulus the original design would have to be really stupid to flex more. what am i missing?

(i understand how a better piston and larger pads influence heat tranfer.)
In the case of the AP Racing Radi-CAL, it's not just the material, it's the entire design shape and structure of the asymmetric caliper that adds stiffness. From our website:

Over the years, many different strategies have been employed to shrink the brake caliper footprint while maintaining adequate stiffness: More robust caliper bridge designs, two-piece calipers with steel through-bolts, exotic materials (i.e. Beryllium, MMC), forging rather than casting, monobloc design, etc. All of these innovations pushed calipers towards becoming lighter, smaller, and stiffer. However, until the advent of the Radi-CAL, the same basic rectangular, boxy shape remained the accepted standard.Is a rectangular box really the most appropriate and efficient shape for a brake caliper? AP Racing has now proven that it is not. As a brake caliper clamps brake pads against a spinning disc, a tremendous tangential friction force occurs between the pads and the spinning disc. In other words, the caliper is pulled strongly in the direction of the spinning disc, as represented by the downward pointing arrow on the right side in Figure 1 below.

The caliper resists that force via the spindle hard mounting points, depicted by the upward arrow on the left. The dynamic load placed on the caliper twists or pulls the caliper into a parallelogram shape. The dynamic force exerted on the calipers during a braking event is the key to the magic of the Radi-CAL design philosophy. Brake calipers of the past were designed to some extent in relative isolation from the forces that they were attempting to combat. They were designed to be the stiffest box possible while resting on a table, with much of the caliper mass residing at either end. The Radi-CAL is dramatically different because it was deliberately designed around the braking event forces that will be acting upon it. This is achieved by optimally distributing the body mass of the caliper on a diagonal, rather than at the two caliper ends. As such, the forces dynamically acting on the caliper are supported by the caliper mass, rather than what historically has been an empty box (see Figure 2 below). At the same time, this also allows for a significant reduction in overall mass, because all non-essential, non-load-bearing caliper body material is removed. So in the case of the Radi-CAL, it's not just about the material that is put into the caliper, it's about the material that is taken away!

The concept is along the lines of why an arch bridge is stronger than a beam bridge when all else is held equal. You can watch a vid and read more about it in the link below. It's not just marketing fluff. It's a major step forward in the history of brake caliper design:
https://www.essexparts.com/news-blog...-radical-story

Forces when a caliper mounted on one side clamps a spinning disc

The shape the forces are distorting the caliper into

Conventional caliper shape vs. dynamic load path

Radi-CAL caliper shape relative to dynamic load path

When im ready to win a championship i still may look into the AP kits, but for now im hoping this gives me what im after.

well $hit, i got everything in the mail for my brake upgrade except the calipers
well i just a message from ebay saying the seller refunded my order. obviously didnt like me stealing them for 15% off on black friday code on a "big" item
That sucks, but this is fairly typical for many parts in the aftermarket, not just brakes. The number of bait-and-switch sellers is off the charts. Give us a call when you're tired of being jerked around and want a final solution, regardless of whether or not you're shooting for a championship. We'll be here!

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 12-03-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:16 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 638 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
well $hit, i got everything in the mail for my brake upgrade except the calipers.
I have black Willwood Calipers in stock that I can get you some sort of a deal on.
The following users liked this post:
STANG KILLA SS (12-03-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sick and tired of cooking the brakes.