Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more leaf springs!!!! C5Z06 want coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 08:52 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I dunno. I found the discussion informative.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:35 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by blackozvet
Matthew Miller - surely you must be on the payroll of the Leaf Spring Manufacturers Association !

We didnt have a debate on the c4 forum - you berated anyone who dared to disagree with you as you wrote volumes of technical opinion.
we get it - you love leaf springs and think they are wonderful - but for the life of me I cant understand why you keep coming onto coil over threads and dominating the conversation with your own pro leaf spring/anti coil over opinions. You are entitled to your opinion, but just have your say and move on, dont come in at post #18 and still be rattling on at post #36 and stifling any real conversation amongst the people who want to discuss (or just read the thread) on fitting coil overs.
I didn't berate anyone either here or in the other thread, and I certainly didn't stifle any discussion. I did provide a number of technical facts (not opinion) to back my statements, because that's how we all learn from one another. You'll notice that you won't find a single ad hominem attack by me in either thread, such as "surely you must be on the payroll of the Leaf Spring Manufacturers Association," or any other form of berating comments.

I'm sorry it was a bad experience for you, but as in this thread I just made one initial post stating a position backed by facts, and then responded to replies. You'll notice that the last post I made here was over a week ago, so the only one dragging this out is you. I'm neither pro or anti any particular form of spring. Since they all do exactly the same thing*, I'm pro using whatever packages best, gives you the rate(s) you need, and costs the least.

What I am very "pro" about is that we should understand what various parts actually can and can't do, and when we make mods to our cars we should understand what we are and aren't getting for our time/money. I'm very "con" about getting sold snake oil, and believing that certain parts have properties that can't be substantiated by empirical evidence (i.e., voodoo/magic). In a forum that was created to help Corvette owners share and obtain useful information about their cars, I think that is very on target with the "mission statement." So far, in two different threads on this topic, you're the only person who's objected to having that discussion. Even the OP for this thread, who ultimately went a different route than I suggested, explicitly stated that this discussion was informative and helpful. Furthermore, I'm well within the guidelines of debate for this forum. I invite you to read and consider those same guidelines, as well as all the Forum Guidelines and Rules.

*Air springs are a little different, and they have their place too. I've left them out for clarity's sake.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:40 AM
kdm123
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Great discussion; very informative, especially in relation to leaf springs.

I switched to coil overs on my C5Z. I haven't seen a big improvement in lap times, though I haven't corner weighted the car or done much other tuning. I do miss having leaf springs just for the fact that they are a neat Corvette tradition. If I did it over again, I'd just keep the leaf springs and buy high-quality adjustable shocks.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:12 AM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 641 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by kdm123

I switched to coil overs on my C5Z. I haven't seen a big improvement in lap times, though I haven't corner weighted the car or done much other tuning. I do miss having leaf springs just for the fact that they are a neat Corvette tradition. If I did it over again, I'd just keep the leaf springs and buy high-quality adjustable shocks.
What coilovers/sway bars are you using?
Old 12-10-2018, 01:34 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

The correct alignment and corner weighting will make a big difference even on leaf sprung cars.....installing coilovers and not doing a performance alignment and corner weighting can definitely make a car handle worse than stock. Also, when doing the corner weighting I recommend disconnecting the swaybars and only using adjustable end links so the bars are neutral at rest and not pre-weighting the corners.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:30 AM
kdm123
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
The correct alignment and corner weighting will make a big difference even on leaf sprung cars.....installing coilovers and not doing a performance alignment and corner weighting can definitely make a car handle worse than stock. Also, when doing the corner weighting I recommend disconnecting the swaybars and only using adjustable end links so the bars are neutral at rest and not pre-weighting the corners.
Agreed. I'm pretty lazy and ignorant about suspension tuning. My new year's resolution is to get the car corner weighted and to get serious about taking tire temps and pressures. I'm running the AFE spec-Corvette coil overs and bars.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:55 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Agreed. I'm pretty lazy and ignorant about suspension tuning. My new year's resolution is to get the car corner weighted and to get serious about taking tire temps and pressures. I'm running the AFE spec-Corvette coil overs and bars.
Toughest part of doing a correct alignment and corner weighting is finding a shop that knows what they're doing. If in NorCal, Abel is a great option. For SoCal, I suggest asking some of the Spec Corvette drivers who they use down there.

Alignment is only as good as the condition of the A-arm bushings, ball joints, hub bearings, tie rods, etc. Even though you have coilovers, don't waste your money on an alignment until you can verify the other components are in good working order. When everything is working correctly, you get faster because you have trust and repeatable predictability in how the car is going to respond at the limit.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 12-11-2018, 01:28 PM
AND0
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 25 Posts

Shout out for Custom Alignment in Mt View for a Nor Cal shop that knows what its doing.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:43 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

In Southern California most of us use West End Alignment in Gardena or Lang Development in Lake Forest.

Both do corner balance and race alignments. They can probably install the hardware from scratch I bet.

Oli
The following users liked this post:
SVT_Z06 (12-20-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 01:50 PM
Sub8
Pro

Received 107 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
Toughest part of doing a correct alignment and corner weighting is finding a shop that knows what they're doing. If in NorCal, Abel is a great option. For SoCal, I suggest asking some of the Spec Corvette drivers who they use down there.

Alignment is only as good as the condition of the A-arm bushings, ball joints, hub bearings, tie rods, etc. Even though you have coilovers, don't waste your money on an alignment until you can verify the other components are in good working order. When everything is working correctly, you get faster because you have trust and repeatable predictability in how the car is going to respond at the limit.

Let us know how it goes!
​​​​​​
This.

Get car aligned. Realised I wasn't happy with the rake. Adjust. Align.

Realise I had some play in the rear tie rod ball joints. Fix. Align. Again. Lol. My buddy very ha$$y to see me. Again!
Old 12-20-2018, 09:45 AM
SVT_Z06
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just ordered Aldans. Can't wait!

Thanks again everyone! My thread is super informative. Glad I made it! Haha!

So far i have new front and rear end links, new front and rear sway poly bushings, new front and rear tie rods.

Last edited by SVT_Z06; 12-20-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:17 PM
SVT_Z06
Racer

Just finished installing my Aldans. Test driven over a bunch of bumpy roads and the car doesn't get upset like it used to.

I still need to perform some adjustments, alignment and corner balance, but so far its looking very promising.

Install would have been faster if I didn't have to grind the front sway bar down a bit at both end link attachment points. A bit disappointed with that.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:36 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Curious on updates.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:38 AM
SVT_Z06
Racer

Default Just a few pics....its low....but compliant!

Old 01-11-2019, 08:42 AM
SVT_Z06
Racer

Still need to get it aligned and one coil over is hard to adjust. I'm trying to get that worked out with Aldan.

Initial improvements without an alignment are night and day. It was aligned just prior the install.

There appears to be a break in period, which I'm still in. I'm hopeful it may get better with a few hundred or so miles.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:57 PM
MatsA
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SVT_Z06
Just finished installing my Aldans. Test driven over a bunch of bumpy roads and the car doesn't get upset like it used to.

I still need to perform some adjustments, alignment and corner balance, but so far its looking very promising.

Install would have been faster if I didn't have to grind the front sway bar down a bit at both end link attachment points. A bit disappointed with that.
Yes i had to grind my Steinjager swaybar that was in the suspension package from TPS also when installing the Aldans otherwise satisfied with the Aldans.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:33 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I like your cheat sheet notes on the frame and control arms.

Get notified of new replies

To No more leaf springs!!!! C5Z06 want coilovers

Old 01-12-2019, 06:36 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by SVT_Z06

That would rub in high G would it not?
Old 01-15-2019, 07:53 PM
SVT_Z06
Racer

So.....one of the adjusters kept getting stuck, so I got my replacement....but I have to send it back because the thrust bearing wasn't installed.

So....I decided to do a quick rebound comparison. Old vs. New. On the hardest setting on the old one, rebound seemed way to fast. It's faster than my stock shocks! That's not right. So I tested the new one, rebound on the hardest setting and it was slow....like it should be.

I'm going to test the other rear shock as well. But so far, the month old rears don't have the rebound they are supposed to.

That being said, Aldan was very nice and understanding and will be sending out new ones today. I just hope these have the rebound they are supposed to.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:02 PM
SVT_Z06
Racer

Default Video of rebound for rears

https://youtu.be/GQh9_-t7c5w

Last edited by SVT_Z06; 01-15-2019 at 08:03 PM.

Quick Reply: No more leaf springs!!!! C5Z06 want coilovers