Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delrin Bushing maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 09:03 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Delrin Bushing maintenance?

Looking at buying a Delrin bushing set for my C5 from Borg Motorsports. I spoke with Lane and he said I would be fine running the Standard set with my set up. He said the standard "might" need maintenance while the Premium set up with the AF Delrin would not. 350 is a big price difference.

I really dont want to take the Control arms off to lube up the bushings every couple years. I have read on here that guys have gone 20k and counting on standard delrin with no issues. My car is 90 percent street car and does see time at the drag strip.

Any guidance is much appreciated.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:47 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

AF is just tougher longer lasting slower wearing. If you keep the car for 5+ years get the good stuff. Less than 5 yrs let it be the next guy's problem. If you are all race get the good stuff.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:49 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

I will never sell the car so I guess that’s an answer lol
Old 11-24-2018, 06:27 AM
HeyFred
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just did the Borg offset bushings, https://www.borgmotorsports.com/coll...100af-bushings with the AMT camber kit, https://amtmotorsport.com/products/c...ble-camber-kit.

You will not regret it. You are connected, part of the car, inputs are precise, no squeaks and the cars ride is one that you could take long distances. My car is setup with coilovers, stock mono leaf may have a firmer ride.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:14 AM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

VanSteel is another option and they make a stellar product!
Old 11-24-2018, 02:16 PM
Borg Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyFred
Just did the Borg offset bushings, https://www.borgmotorsports.com/coll...100af-bushings with the AMT camber kit, https://amtmotorsport.com/products/c...ble-camber-kit.

You will not regret it. You are connected, part of the car, inputs are precise, no squeaks and the cars ride is one that you could take long distances. My car is setup with coilovers, stock mono leaf may have a firmer ride.
Thanks for the kind words! Glad you like it!
Old 11-24-2018, 05:27 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Do the delrin vendors hand fit to each A-arm location of sell a consumer kit with all the bushings that slide right in or need to be hand fit?
Old 11-25-2018, 01:10 AM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Borg Motorsports

Thanks for the kind words! Glad you like it!

Just took advantage of the Black Friday and placed my order for the AF set up! Sucks I cant test it out until April or so.

Last edited by Podium; 11-25-2018 at 01:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Borg Motorsports (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 10:11 AM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

How much caster / camber will that kit allow before it binds? How much off is the BF sale?

Originally Posted by Podium
Just took advantage of the Black Friday and placed my order for the AF set up! Sucks I cant test it out until April or so.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:12 AM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rx7Rob
How much caster / camber will that kit allow before it binds? How much off is the BF sale?

i cant answer your first question but it’s 12 percent off!
The following users liked this post:
Borg Motorsports (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 01:30 PM
Borg Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Do the delrin vendors hand fit to each A-arm location of sell a consumer kit with all the bushings that slide right in or need to be hand fit?
I won't call out specific brands, but some brands do hand-fit each order of bushings and others (include us) don't. Our kit can be customer installed. I've done a ton of research and testing on the variability of the stock control arms and feel we have a solid solution that addresses the variances without the need for custom machined parts.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:45 PM
Borg Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Rx7Rob
Like Podium said, 12% off of your entire order through 12/6/2018.

In terms of caster/camber, it will depend on the kit you order. The standard and premium kits allow all the factory adjustment. There is no binding with stock components. If you have an aftermarket camber kit, aftermarket control arm, etc. then I can't guarantee you'll have a combination that functions perfectly. As long as you are staying within the factory adjustment range, you should be fine. People think Delrin will bind because they compare it to aluminum or sphericals. In reality, it's closer to polyurethane than it is to aluminum. As long as you account for the needed movement in the tolerances of each part and the design as a whole, they function perfectly fine in the suspension arms. Where Delrin IS too stiff for movement is in the shock mount bushings. Those bushings have a much higher degree of misalignment and multi-axis movement that requires either a very flexible material (i.e. rubber) or a change in the type of bushing to allow multi-axis rotation (i.e. spherical bearings).

Getting back to your caster/camber question, if you step up to the offset kit, you can get the same range of adjustment as stock, but that range is offset. It will depend on your specific car, but generally, you can get an additional 2 to 2.5 degrees of negative camber at the same caster level. For example, when our shop car was stock, the front alignment maxed out at about -2.4 camber and the highest matched caster I could get was 6.2 degrees. With the offset bushings, I can get up to -4.9 degrees of camber at the same caster and still have a little wiggle room if needed. In practice, I run less than that in camber and can get the caster I want in the car. The idea of the offset kit is not to max out your settings, but to give you the ability to have your settings at a not maxed out position when at your desired values. This gives you the ability to try things and tune to your needs without being restricted to the factory limits.

Keep in mind though that the benefits of the offset kit on the aggressive side (aka the track-oriented side) are the opposite on the conservative, street-driven side. Ex. If your stock camber range was 1.0 to -2.5, your new range with the offset kits will be something like -1.5 to -5.0. For a track or performance oriented car that has no street driven considerations, this is fine. If you switch between a track and street alignment frequently though, you would likely be better off with the non-offset kits.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:43 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

PTFE infused delrin for automotive suspension bushings is unnecessary.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:33 AM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sperkins
PTFE infused delrin for automotive suspension bushings is unnecessary.
​​​​​​

Explain
Old 12-07-2018, 12:10 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

​​​​​​

Explain
1. Infusing delrin with PTFE fibers makes it weaker than the same grade delrin without it.
2. The purpose of PTFE in delrin is to make it slippery. A properly designed
bushing kit will use metal sleeves inside the bushing for the control arm bolts to pass through. The result is that the bushing never rotates around anything so being slippery isn't a requirement. It simply takes up the space between the sleeve and the control arm.
The only exception on our cars is the front upper bushings where the bushing material rotates around the “dogbone” pin that’s secured with snap rings. Even in this scenario, regular delrin works perfectly fine. I cut my own bushings over 3 years ago using standard (black) delrin and I didn’t use any sleeves. The control arm bolts contact the delrin directly and it works great.

Last edited by sperkins; 12-07-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:06 PM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

The metal sleeve in the middle of the bushing is usually pinched between and captured by the mounting tabs so it does not move. In this manner, like a stock rubber bushing, the center sleeve does not move when the arm does.

So the delrin (or poly) either stays with the control arm and rotates around the center sleeve or it stays with the center sleeve and the control arm rotates around it. Or it moves around both.

If you have no center sleeve then the bushing interacts with the bolt and either slides around the bolt or it stays with the bolt and the control arm rotates around the bushing.

Obviously regular delrin works fine, but as to whether or not there is a noticeable difference with the ptfe delrin in performance or longevity, I have no idea.
Although I would think that it must add an appreciable amount of friction reduction as to justify its development and production. Do we need this improvement in our cars? Only back-to-back testing would give us any idea.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:07 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sperkins
1. Infusing delrin with PTFE fibers makes it weaker than the same grade delrin without it.
2. The purpose of PTFE in delrin is to make it slippery. A properly designed
bushing kit will use metal sleeves inside the bushing for the control arm bolts to pass through. The result is that the bushing never rotates around anything so being slippery isn't a requirement. It simply takes up the space between the sleeve and the control arm.
The only exception on our cars is the front upper bushings where the bushing material rotates around the “dogbone” pin that’s secured with snap rings. Even in this scenario, regular delrin works perfectly fine. I cut my own bushings over 3 years ago using standard (black) delrin and I didn’t use any sleeves. The control arm bolts contact the delrin directly and it works great.

What about the maintenance aspect? That’s why I bought the ptfe, I didn’t want to take the car about to lubricate the the bushing every spring. Or even every other spring. That’s why I purchased them. From what I’ve read l, with ptfe, I wouldn’t have to maintain the bushing which was my goal because they self lubricate.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:21 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

What about the maintenance aspect? That’s why I bought the ptfe, I didn’t want to take the car about to lubricate the the bushing every spring. Or even every other spring. That’s why I purchased them. From what I’ve read l, with ptfe, I wouldn’t have to maintain the bushing which was my goal because they self lubricate.
No delrin requires lubrication. Only Poly bushings need periodical greasing.

Get notified of new replies

To Delrin Bushing maintenance?

Quick Reply: Delrin Bushing maintenance?