Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Front Calipers on Rear

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 07:45 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Default C5 Front Calipers on Rear

Anyone do this on a track car?

I'm about to install a front only BBK on my 2000 and was thinking about moving the OEM front calipers to the rear. I've read the threads about what you have to do but it seems like it was primarily being done on street cars.

The piston area is larger than the stock rears, will this make for a long pedal? I'm running the DRM brake bias spring but expect that I'll have to do some playing with front to back compounds.

Thanks

Rob
Old 11-22-2018, 11:02 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

you will have a horrible pedal, and the large truck pedal can't really fix it either. I've run this setup with dual Tilton master cylinders, but for that kind of money and effort, you should just buy good rear calipers.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:49 AM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Thanks David, thats what I thought!
Old 11-23-2018, 10:35 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Agreed. I spend a lot of time and money monkeying around with all of these BS solutions and in the end just ended up putting in the matching ST-40 Stoptech BBK kit for my ST-60 fronts.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:41 PM
MatsA
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I did this to my C5 street and track day car, very little work an easy job and a great upgrade.....i also did upgrade the front.
For some 15 -1600 usd i did get C6Z51 in front and C6Z06 in the back so 13.4” all around with retained E brake, front C5 calipers all around, rotors is the standard AC Delco with HP+ pads, for a street and track day car that i have this was an excellent upgrade for me, but for a pure time attack or track car not so sure.
Negative is the somewhat long pedal travel and with the HP pads it is a hard initial bite and that can be a bit irritating in traffic but you get used to it.

Last edited by MatsA; 11-24-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:56 PM
Juhatee
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have ST40 calipers in front and decided to try C5 fronts in rear. I did some calculations about braking bias but wasn't sure about the outcome.

I did few track days with the combo and had no complaints. I still changed the original calipers back to rear after these track days and after one more track session I decided to go back to this ST40-C5 front-combo. I don't know if it's the ratio of these or what but it feels predictable and very good now.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Front Calipers on Rear

Quick Reply: C5 Front Calipers on Rear