Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 FRC Differential refresh - what else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 07:49 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default 99 FRC Differential refresh - what else?

My 1999 FRC was purchased in Jan with 67,000 street miles on it. I use it exclusively for HPDE, but only got 3 days on track this season before a mishap requiring an engine rebuild.

I am about to get the car back from the engine shop. It will have a freshly rebuilt LS1, new clutch and rebuilt torque tube. The engine was lifted out, rather than the entire drive train being dropped.

I don’t have dyno results yet, but expect Z06 range performance. About 400 HP at the crank and 365 st the rear wheels.

Current break away torque is about 60 ft lbs, and I had a slight vibration when turning left on hard acceleration. Therefore I plan to have the stock differential rebuilt during the winter off season.

Plus, the stock MN6 transmission has a nuisance leak of trans fluid at the cold joint (which has no gasket) between the front and rear sections of the the transmission body. So, I figure while the diff is out, I’ll go ahead and pull the transmission to fix the leak.

I’m not a hard core racer, and don’t want to spend for upgrades to true racing components. But I do want to do whatever is needed for reliability while I’m “in there”.

I’ve had no issues with the trans other than the leak. Should I consider a pre-emptive rebuild? Should I upgrade the aluminum forks?

Im already planning a new Hinson poly diff mount, and DRM diff and trans coolers. What else should I include?

Edit

Last edited by emptnest; 11-22-2018 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: 99 FRC Differential refresh - what else?