What Would Be Your Ultimate C7 Track Car Build? - Page 4 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Would Be Your Ultimate C7 Track Car Build?

Old 12-04-2018, 10:43 AM
village idiot
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by FASBLK1 View Post
No compromises and bang for the buck. I'd be looking at a used properly built and sorted race car. You'd have all the weak links fixed plus the car would be a lot safer for the driver. For power the Katech 427 would be cool but I would look hard at a Mast 388ci ( destroked Ls7 ) 700+ hp, 8500rpm.
I agree, but the OP seems to really like the C7 Half the price of what were talking for a C7 here would buy a much more fun race car.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:11 PM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

As someone who had a C5 Z06 ST2 car and how a C7 mid TT2/3 build... I wouldn't start with an aluminum chassis car. The cost to cage an aluminum car is high and you have to glue/bolt steel plates to the chassis. What does this do for stress risers in the frame rails? Nobody talks about that. I love the C7 platform and it has lots of pros, but a steel chassis C5/6 is much easier to work with. Once you start caging these cars interior room is hard to come by. I had to completely remove the roof on my C5 and remove the b-pillar hoop to get adequate room.

My $0.02

The Following User Says Thank You to Tool Hoarder For This Useful Post:
Plstxmd (12-09-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 05:34 PM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

So I just read the whole thread and laugh at some of the mods suggested... overkill, but I guess that's what you want. The standard Z51 Stingray brakes on my car are better than anything we ran on the C5 racecars. Carbotech race pads and SRF fluid and you can hammer them for days. I bought my car last November, rand 4 HPDE weekends this year in the instructor group and am still on the OEM original rotors with 55K combined miles. I have spare DBA 2-part as back-ups but the OEM ones aren't even close to min thickness.

You spend your money as you see fit... but I suggest building toward a race class. The "ultimate trackday" car gets pretty old when there is no competition unless you just want forum bragging rights.

If you can wheel a ZR1 to a 1:55 you can drive... so pick a class and build to it.

The white C7 caged above only has enough room for a wee person. Don't use that shop. I'm curious to see what piper does for you... and what they charge They wanted $8K to cage my C5 without paint and that's with me bringing them the car with the roof removed/trimmed and the b-pillar cut off and the fuel tanks already loose. I bet they want $20K to cage a C7. For that you could buy 2 C5s.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:41 PM
lobsterroboto
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder View Post
So I just read the whole thread and laugh at some of the mods suggested... overkill, but I guess that's what you want. The standard Z51 Stingray brakes on my car are better than anything we ran on the C5 racecars. Carbotech race pads and SRF fluid and you can hammer them for days. I bought my car last November, rand 4 HPDE weekends this year in the instructor group and am still on the OEM original rotors with 55K combined miles. I have spare DBA 2-part as back-ups but the OEM ones aren't even close to min thickness.

You spend your money as you see fit... but I suggest building toward a race class. The "ultimate trackday" car gets pretty old when there is no competition unless you just want forum bragging rights.

If you can wheel a ZR1 to a 1:55 you can drive... so pick a class and build to it.

The white C7 caged above only has enough room for a wee person. Don't use that shop. I'm curious to see what piper does for you... and what they charge They wanted $8K to cage my C5 without paint and that's with me bringing them the car with the roof removed/trimmed and the b-pillar cut off and the fuel tanks already loose. I bet they want $20K to cage a C7. For that you could buy 2 C5s.

right about that, I ran my OEM rotors for 1.5 seasons before ever changing them. XP12/XP10 combination did great but fronts weren't lasting as long as I would of liked. After I had a caliper fail at COTA I went ahead and upgraded to the J56 brakes. (using HAWK DTC70 now just because of contingency tho)
I only changed the rotors because I got a got a good deal on some DBA's I actually still have my original rotors in my garage. I kept them as as backups but now I cant use them, should probably get rid of them.

I am a wee person the cage was built for me. It's also not as cramped as it looks, its kind of misleading without the seats in it.

C7 cages are not cheap. I gutted my car prior to delivering it to the shop to help keep the price low.

In all honesty had I not been completely dumb I would of sold the C7 and got a C5 or C6 as a base car or even just bit the bullet and went tube frame.

But I kind of just jumped off the diving board face first.

I would also not **** all over a shop for bespoke work

here's another shot of the incomplete cage

Last edited by lobsterroboto; 12-05-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:48 PM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by lobsterroboto View Post
right about that, I ran my OEM rotors for 1.5 seasons before ever changing them. XP12/XP10 combination did great but fronts weren't lasting as long as I would of liked. After I had a caliper fail at COTA I went ahead and upgraded to the J56 brakes. (using HAWK DTC70 now just because of contingency tho)

I am a wee person the cage was built for me. It's also not as cramped as it looks, its kind of misleading without the seats in it.

C7 cages are not cheap. I gutted my car prior to delivering it to the shop to help keep the price low.

In all honesty had I not been completely dumb I would of sold the C7 and got a C5 or C6 as a base car or even just bit the bullet and went tube frame.

Hey look... that makes two of us retards pursuing this hobby in white Stingrays

I've done the full tube chassis racecar. We have a Panoz that I fully restored. It has it's pros, but lots of cons vs. a "production factory engineered" car as a starting point. The best racecar IMO is a C5 or steel C6 with the wide-body panels. There are so many little things you have to deal with on a tube chassis car that are things you don't really think about reverting a production car into a track car.

I'm 6'3" 260... sometimes I wish i was a wee lad when it comes to this hobby.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:02 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,946 Times in 811 Posts

I'm curious to see what piper does for you... and what they charge They wanted $8K to cage my C5 without paint and that's with me bringing them the car with the roof removed/trimmed and the b-pillar cut off and the fuel tanks already loose. I bet they want $20K to cage a C7. For that you could buy 2 C5s.
I don't have a quote yet but did that include the seats and harnesses or just to do the cage? Mitch did the cage in my C6Z and did an excellent job. I have friends that have crashed in their cages and I like that Piper really understands this stuff and sweats the details. Plus they are close so I can pop over to make sure everything fits right before they lock it all down. I was over at OG Racing this afternoon and am pretty settled on the Sparco QRT-R for seats.

I'm curious, what aero is on your car and how do you like the balance?

I'm not willing to settle on brakes and AP Racing are the best.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:32 PM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Poor-sha View Post
I don't have a quote yet but did that include the seats and harnesses or just to do the cage? Mitch did the cage in my C6Z and did an excellent job. I have friends that have crashed in their cages and I like that Piper really understands this stuff and sweats the details. Plus they are close so I can pop over to make sure everything fits right before they lock it all down. I was over at OG Racing this afternoon and am pretty settled on the Sparco QRT-R for seats.
Quote was just a cage... no extras. Piper is very good, not saying don't use them. Having them close is ideal. I'm very curious how they do your main hoop. Best way is to drop the fuel tanks and go through the "wall" behind the seats to preserve room. Tanks go back in stock locations. Some put the main hoop ahead of the "wall" but you lose interior room that way.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:34 PM
lobsterroboto
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm curious, what aero is on your car and how do you like the balance?

I'm not willing to settle on brakes and AP Racing are the best.
Currently working through aero imbalance right now

I'm using the LG wing, it's a 3d element and it's least aggressive setting is still a ton of downforce. It's an excellent element and I knew that going into it, I just under estimated it a bit.

I have APR canards and the LG carbon fiber "splitter" (it's an air dam) and it's sealing up the gap between the actual splitter and the bumper.

The splitter mount is custom from a fab shop and the splitter you see here is version 1.0 and not painted.

I'll be adding a splitter diffuser (tunnels) and splitter end plates soon.

I also have a Difflow rear diffuser (not installed in the pic) it's a new design and I'm the first to have it which is cool It's like the original design but allows for the tow hook and the fences are taller & longer

Car is at the shop right now but will take pics as soon as I get it back. Some time next week.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:51 PM
range96
CF Senior Member

I think even with superior hp/weight ratio of a built car, you will miss the massive torque of the LT5.
For months I was planning a RCR Superlite track car and eventually ended up getting the C6 ZR1. I did not regret that decision. I started tracking in '95 and one thing I learned, the more you modify, the more issues surface. I do see your strategy working though: add performance by reducing weight.

Don't mind me, just wanted to get updates to your thread!
Old 12-06-2018, 11:56 PM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by range96 View Post
the more you modify, the more issues surface.
Agree x 1,000,000

Your ZR1 has a warranty... you break, they fix.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:59 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Agree x 1,000,000

Your ZR1 has a warranty... you break, they fix.
I don't disagree with you and that's how I've operated the last 4 years. However, it also means that if you find a weak spot in the car for heavy track use your hands are tied for being able to mod the car to address it. It also is dependent on having a quality dealer tech nearby that knows what they are doing. Unfortunately, the excellent tech I worked with for most of that period moved away and I've been unable to find someone anywhere near as competent. If I'm going to reduce consumable costs I need to shed weight and that means heavy modifications. My hope is that by working with the best aftermarket companies I can build something that is reliable and that after all these years with the C7 family I have the knowledge and tools to support it.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:27 AM
village idiot
CF Senior Member

I don't disagree with you and that's how I've operated the last 4 years. However, it also means that if you find a weak spot in the car for heavy track use your hands are tied for being able to mod the car to address it. It also is dependent on having a quality dealer tech nearby that knows what they are doing. Unfortunately, the excellent tech I worked with for most of that period moved away and I've been unable to find someone anywhere near as competent. If I'm going to reduce consumable costs I need to shed weight and that means heavy modifications. My hope is that by working with the best aftermarket companies I can build something that is reliable and that after all these years with the C7 family I have the knowledge and tools to support it.
most weight reduction shouldnít hurt warranty.
seat, gutting, wheels, rotors etc right?
I really want to add an engine oil cooler, but it would void my warranty. The engine oil being hot is GMís liability for the next 95,000 miles and who knows how many track days so Iím leaving it alone.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:17 AM
lobsterroboto
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by village idiot View Post

most weight reduction shouldnít hurt warranty.
seat, gutting, wheels, rotors etc right?
I really want to add an engine oil cooler, but it would void my warranty. The engine oil being hot is GMís liability for the next 95,000 miles and who knows how many track days so Iím leaving it alone.

My car is gutted and last year I trailered it to the dealership and had a water pump replaced under warranty.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:20 AM
[email protected]
Premium Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by range96 View Post
I think even with superior hp/weight ratio of a built car, you will miss the massive torque of the LT5.
For months I was planning a RCR Superlite track car and eventually ended up getting the C6 ZR1. I did not regret that decision. I started tracking in '95 and one thing I learned, the more you modify, the more issues surface. I do see your strategy working though: add performance by reducing weight.

Don't mind me, just wanted to get updates to your thread!
Just dyno'ed a C7ZR1 yesterday at 710whp/643lbft our C7Z06 road race build made 733whp/732lbft. Cam, 15% Supercharger Overdrive and Headers. Car also weighed in at 3,320 about a 1/3 of a tank.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:51 AM
[email protected]
Premium Supporting Vendor

I only changed the rotors because I got a got a good deal on some DBA's I actually still have my original rotors in my garage. I kept them as as backups but now I cant use them, should probably get rid of them.

Front Splitter looks like its bigger than the one we have on the black car. I have both of them in the shop right now, wish the weather would clear so I can get a pic of them in front of the shop.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:53 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

My car is gutted and last year I trailered it to the dealership and had a water pump replaced under warranty.
I'd say that is heavily dealer dependent and also depends on whether someone from GM wants to inspect the problem. If you roll in with a cage they can easily declare that the car was used for competition and void the warranty.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:10 PM
lobsterroboto
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I'd say that is heavily dealer dependent and also depends on whether someone from GM wants to inspect the problem. If you roll in with a cage they can easily declare that the car was used for competition and void the warranty.

very certainly. I wasn't expecting them to do it, just curious I had like 2 months left on the warranty at that time.

Car rolls up with NASA decals, class letters, etc. replaced it.

the irony the water pump failed again at Hallett.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:13 PM
lobsterroboto
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Front Splitter looks like its bigger than the one we have on the black car. I have both of them in the shop right now, wish the weather would clear so I can get a pic of them in front of the shop.

Yah, it's fairly large, I went larger because the splitter currently has no diffusers, it's completely flat.

I'll be adding diffusers and small end plates and may need to trim the overall length a tad based on how it feels.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:50 PM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

Well... it depends. Cage should be fine as GM warranties these cars on track, but class stickers, yeah that would give them an out I guess. GM has always said the car is warrantied on track other than W2W competition use.
very certainly. I wasn't expecting them to do it, just curious I had like 2 months left on the warranty at that time.

Car rolls up with NASA decals, class letters, etc. replaced it.

the irony the water pump failed again at Hallett.
Tell me more... I bought my car 11/2017 with 43K miles and the water pump was seeping at the time. It was replaced under warranty. I did 4 track weekends in 2018 and put 11K total miles (track/street) on the car. What failed again on yours?

Last edited by Tool Hoarder; 12-07-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:56 PM
lobsterroboto
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Well... it depends. Cage should be fine as GM warranties these cars on track, but class stickers, yeah that would give them an out I guess. GM has always said the car is warrantied on track other than W2W competition use.

Tell me more... I bought my car 11/2017 with 43K miles and the water pump was seeping at the time. It was replaced under warranty. I did 4 track weekends in 2018 and put 11K total miles (track/street) on the car. What failed again on yours?
I really can't remember ill have to see if i can find the notes from last year. It basically just dumped all the water into my paddock space coming off track at a member day.

The second time it was just seeping.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: