Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Would Be Your Ultimate C7 Track Car Build?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 12:30 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Default What Would Be Your Ultimate C7 Track Car Build?

I'm contemplating building a dedicated track car from a C7. I love the platform and want something I can beat on heavily doing DEs, track days, and TT. I have my own thoughts but want to hear what the forum has to say. If you were going to build the ultimate C7 track car what would you build? What mods, vendors, parts are on your wish list? Of course it needs to be fast and reliable but it should be as light as possible to reduce consumable costs. I don't want to make any compromises for street use as this will be a 100% track car and I also don't want to be constrained by a particular class (it'll likely end up in something ending in a 'U' anyway). Oh, and while I don't want to do this on a shoestring budget I also am not talking about a Scott Tucker Sports Racer project either.
(http://www.dinnerwithracers.com/episode-8-the-level-5-special/)

Let the bench building begin!
Old 11-24-2018, 01:08 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

first wait for the C8 (mid engine no compromises)
after that lighten everything possible lexan in place of all needed glass, carbon fiber wheels, obvious things remove interior & insulation, carbon racing seat.
cage with aluminum alloy instead of steel if possible. carbon brakes (gut the mirrors) I'd leave the air if you can run with windows up ( more aerodynamic) possibly as light as a cool shirt & ice

Last edited by ErnieN85; 11-24-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:59 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Ernie for kicking us off but the rules are it had to be a C7, I like the way the FME C7 handles and already have a lot of track parts for it. I'd also like to focus on things that can be reasonably procured.

I assume you mean true carbon/carbon brakes not carbon ceramics (CCBs). CCBs are out due to consumable costs (in fact I'm selling the ones off the C7 ZR1 in the for sale section). Does anyone make a true carbon/carbon brake system for a C7? Needs tol fit under 18" wheels too.

Most events and tracks I run at require windows down so I'm thinking of just taking them out.

Does someone already build a cage for the C7 out of aluminum alloy? Would you trust it?

I like the idea of gutting the mirrors. I wonder how much the motors weigh in there and how you still adjust them?
Old 11-24-2018, 02:04 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

I don't think carbon carbon brakes would work well as they are quite temp sensitive. The carbon fiber wheels are much lighter than alloy wheels and wold make a big difference.
as for sticking with C7 I agree that is good (money wise)
you big problem with this is it is already extremely good, not much left on the table there.

Last edited by ErnieN85; 11-24-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:16 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I would probably start with a Grand Sport M7 1LT, Z07 sway bars, DSC coilovers, Essex AP brakes front and rear, Forgelines or Finspeeds, softest slicks you can find, Aeromotions S2 Dynamic wing, big carbon splitter, more robust cooling, Katech 427, cage, seat, longtubes, Akra titanium exhaust, oil system beef, etc.

lightweighting? Remove speakers, carpet, AC compressor, Z06 torque tube/prop shaft, etc.

Last edited by 64drvr; 11-24-2018 at 04:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JRitt@essex (11-26-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 04:31 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lrobe22
I would probably start with a Grand Sport M7 1LT, Z07 sway bars, DSC coilovers, Essex AP brakes front and rear, Forgelines or Finspeeds, softest slicks you can find, Aeromotions S2 Dynamic wing, big carbon splitter, more robust cooling, Katech 427, cage, seat, longtubes, Akra titanium exhaust, oil system beef, etc.

lightweighting? Remove speakers, carpet, AC compressor, Z06 torque tube/prop shaft, etc.
Thanks, lots of great ideas in there. Are you referring to the GS Z07 sways or Z06/Z07 sways? Can you elaborate on why? Based on a chart I saw elsewhere it looks like the GS (non-Z06), Z06, and Z06/Z07 all share the same sway bars.

Unfortunately I don't think DSC has coilovers that will fit a C7 but that would be cool. Assuming no coilovers what leaf springs would you go with?

Any suggestions on who makes a big carbon splitter? I'm a little hesitant to go with carbon though given that they can get torn up on track (at least both my Z06 and ZR1 splitters did).
Old 11-24-2018, 04:49 PM
GoatHead
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

If I can swing the extra cash and have bigger garage, I'd look for a used M7 GS. 18" race wheels, new brake system, coil over, roll bar, race seats, extra oil cooler, long tube headers, CAI, PTB,
Poor-sha (11-24-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 05:15 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Whatever it takes to get the weight down as close to 3k as possible.

That would be a tough chore, and it certainly would no longer be streetable, but the weight is such a killer.

This pretty much assures you don’t start with anything supercharged.
Poor-sha (11-24-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 05:25 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

#1 on my list is delete the DOD
#2 overall reliability improvement
Old 11-24-2018, 05:59 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
#1 on my list is delete the DOD
#2 overall reliability improvement
I know Katech removes the DoD with their engine builds and I really like the 427 idea. What other reliability issues do you think need to be addressed? I'm 100% with you that I hate going to the track and not being able to drive because the car broke.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:40 PM
w00tw00t
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm slowly building my 2019 Grandsport 2LT MT to be my ultimate track car:

- Penske 8300 Remote Res. 750/650
- LG G2 Swaybars
- Granatelli Toe Link Kit
- LG Mag Sims
- Track Wheels - Signature SV502 Matte Black 18x11 ET38 18x12.5 ET50 With Knurling + TPMS NT01 315/30/18 335/30/18
- Stage 3 Aero - Splitter and Spoiler
- Brake Pads - Raybestos ST43
- Black Lug Nuts - McGard
- Driver Seat - Cobra Halo
- Passenger Seat - Sparco QRT-R
- Scroth 4-Point ASM Harnesses
- Marrad Bases
- Sharkbar Harness Bar
- MGW Shifter

Car is already around 3300lb (half fuel) and feels incredible around the track. The Penske full coilover setup has blown my mind! Night and day improvement over mag shocks.

Poor-sha (11-24-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 07:21 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

My Ultimate C7 Build:
=====================
- C7 GS M7 possible Z07 to get the stiffer spring rates
- AP Racing Big-Brake Kit
- DSC Full Suspension Package (shocks & controller)
- 1-7/8" Full Length headers, x-pipe, and possible exhaust
- Built LT1 Head/Cam/Intake target 475-525 RWHP, 460-510 TRQ
- New oil-cooler release by LG ( although this needs more research )
- Proper Seats & Harness maybe a cage if you
- Aero setup similar to ZR1 ( loose the wicker, add wing, add front splitter )
- Loose at least 250lbs ( removed sound deadening, add light-weight wheels, drop high-end leather, etc. )

Last edited by truth.b; 11-24-2018 at 07:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by truth.b:
JRitt@essex (11-26-2018), Poor-sha (11-24-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 11:25 PM
w00tw00t
Pro

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Thanks, lots of great ideas in there. Are you referring to the GS Z07 sways or Z06/Z07 sways? Can you elaborate on why? Based on a chart I saw elsewhere it looks like the GS (non-Z06), Z06, and Z06/Z07 all share the same sway bars.

Unfortunately I don't think DSC has coilovers that will fit a C7 but that would be cool. Assuming no coilovers what leaf springs would you go with?

Any suggestions on who makes a big carbon splitter? I'm a little hesitant to go with carbon though given that they can get torn up on track (at least both my Z06 and ZR1 splitters did).
I'd recommend the LG sway bars. Also DSC does make full coilovers for their tractive shocks - you just need to call them.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:07 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I know we have our differences of opinion when it comes to power, but I wouldn't be running most of this stuff that's being mentioned.
Start with a GS, replace bushings with solid stuff. Get a proper race splitter (like... one that sticks out far and needs rods), proper wing, gut the car, add a rollbar or cage (no on aluminum). Ohlins coilovers and maybe even some good race control arms. Exotic brakes are nice but they're expensive. Factory iron brakes honestly aren't that bad at all but of course, you can spend money and improve. Also, huge cooling upgrades. 18" wheels and other obvious stuff like harness, seat, etc.

Just send the car to Gspeed or something and have them build the chassis and suspension for you.

Last edited by village idiot; 11-25-2018 at 12:09 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by village idiot:
GSpeed (11-25-2018), Poor-sha (11-25-2018), w00tw00t (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 07:43 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by village idiot
I know we have our differences of opinion when it comes to power, but I wouldn't be running most of this stuff that's being mentioned.
Start with a GS, replace bushings with solid stuff. Get a proper race splitter (like... one that sticks out far and needs rods), proper wing, gut the car, add a rollbar or cage (no on aluminum). Ohlins coilovers and maybe even some good race control arms. Exotic brakes are nice but they're expensive. Factory iron brakes honestly aren't that bad at all but of course, you can spend money and improve. Also, huge cooling upgrades. 18" wheels and other obvious stuff like harness, seat, etc.

Just send the car to Gspeed or something and have them build the chassis and suspension for you.
Yup, I'm just getting opinions and seeing what I might've missed or should reconsider. Here's a partial list:
- 2019 GS 1LT with Performance Data Recorder ('cause I need my data)
- Cage, seats, harnesses, gutted interior to include removing the side windows. I'm fortunate to have Piper Motorsports just up the road from me and they build great cages
- AP Racing brakes
- DSC Sport controller and Tractive DDA RTx shocks. I really loved this setup on my Z06. I've checked and while the shock bodies are threaded for a spring perch they have clearance issues with the UCA if you try to run coilovers.

I'm talking to Jason at Katech about a build including their awesome 427 LT1. I don't see why you would need more cooling though, I never overheated either of my C7 Z06s and this car will be NA and won't have an A/C condenser (better airflow to the radiator). Does the M7 GS have the secondary radiator like the Z06 got in 2017? If not I could add that GM kit.

The following 2 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
JRitt@essex (11-26-2018), w00tw00t (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 10:59 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Ultimate c7 would be sell it and build 2 c6’s

exracer28 (01-03-2019)
Old 11-25-2018, 02:24 PM
0Finspeed
Former Vendor

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by lrobe22
I would probably start with a Grand Sport M7 1LT, Z07 sway bars, DSC coilovers, Essex AP brakes front and rear, Forgelines or Finspeeds, softest slicks you can find,
Re from above, our 20x12" offering to replace the OEM Z06 20x12 wheel is about 22.xx lbs vs 30.xx lbs. That's 32+ lbs of unsprung, rotational driveline weight with a wheel that's substantially stronger than OEM. ZR1 should be similar on the net. The OP indicated he wanted to use 18" wheels which is a good idea, as their are much more race tire offerings in 18", and the 18" wheels will be even lighter with less moment of inertia compared to a 20". 18x13" somewhere in the 20-21 lb range depending on what options you want. We can get pretty big AP's inside our 18's with the proper barrel profile. The RadiCal from AP is a fantastic caliper, and offsets a LOT of the unsprung weight going from the carbon to the iron rings if you switch. The net gain one the whole brake package is pretty small, I'm sure JRitt at Essex could chime in on the savings. The moral of the story is everything starts with the corners, ideally build your car around the tire you plan to use, wheel sizes, brake clearance and tires all play together. It sucks if you back yourself in the corner with any one of those, and limit options on the other two. If you build it, can't way to see it!

Last edited by Finspeed; 11-27-2018 at 08:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Finspeed:
JRitt@essex (11-26-2018), KFehling (12-04-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To What Would Be Your Ultimate C7 Track Car Build?

Old 11-25-2018, 03:42 PM
w00tw00t
Pro

Yup, I'm just getting opinions and seeing what I might've missed or should reconsider. Here's a partial list:
- Cage, seats, harnesses, gutted interior to include removing the side windows. I'm fortunate to have Piper Motorsports just up the road from me and they build great cages
- AP Racing brakes
- DSC Sport controller and Tractive DDA RTx shocks. I really loved this setup on my Z06. I've checked and while the shock bodies are threaded for a spring perch they have clearance issues with the UCA if you try to run coilovers.

I'm talking to Jason at Katech about a build including their awesome 427 LT1. I don't see why you would need more cooling though, I never overheated either of my C7 Z06s and this car will be NA and won't have an A/C condenser (better airflow to the radiator). Does the M7 GS have the secondary radiator like the Z06 got in 2017? If not I could add that GM kit.
Good thread! Just curious though.. why not keep tracking your ZR1 ?
Old 11-25-2018, 06:02 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

i’m A bit rusty but I also believe the GS Z07 and Z06 Z07 share sway bars and bushings. I believe they are basically T1 bars. I’d lean towards Z07 leafs if there aren’t better aftermarket options. Not sure on the splitter- probably Katech or LG.

Last edited by 64drvr; 11-25-2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:09 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

- AP Racing brakes

more power = more heat. More rpm = a lot more heat- especially engine oil. Not overheating shouldn’t be the goal. Even my GS’s 265 oil temps on a cool day (yes, same cooking as +17 z06) is high. With another 200hp it will be even higher. Plus you can just do a few efficient heat exchangers to save weight (both heat exchanger and fluids). You’re looking at a very expensive engine. Not sure why you wouldn’t spend a few hundred do keep the engine oil cool. It’s not a competitive race car looking for every last hp. 275+ for engine oil isn’t good. i just don’t care because it’s GMs problem for the next 8/95k miles.
I’d also suggest getting a robust engine build and tune rather than squeezing every last hp. You’re not competing.
I have ave no experience with dsc’s Shocks but if it’s anything like their controller, be prepared to spend some time tuning it or paying someone who really knows what they’re doing (ie: top end competitive racer that is fast- not just a rich guy that is pretty good with a fast car- that can actually sort the car). I’d be inclined to go with a high end set of ohlins. It’s not like you need the big range of mag ride to get a cushy ride home and stiff ride for the track.

I bet bet a wing and removing wicker bill will make a big difference of the tracks you run with that power. If even not for downforce, to reduce drag.

Also don’t overlook bushings. We’re probably deflecting a degree or two on the alignment on slicks with just how much they flex.

I love my GS- it always susprises me how much I love driving it on the track, but if I was doing a track car build it would 100% be a c5 or c6 z06. I don’t think the c7 has any advantages that wouldn’t be replaced with aftermarket parts anyway. Plus it’s a lot heavier and all roofs are targa. C5 is really the Miata of the high hp word. You just can’t build a better 500hp car for the money.

DoctorV8 (12-07-2018)

Quick Reply: What Would Be Your Ultimate C7 Track Car Build?