Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Would Be Your Ultimate C7 Track Car Build?

Old 01-10-2019, 09:34 PM
grandsport2017
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
The 2019 GS 1LT M7 with PDR I ordered from Mike Furman should be built by now so I hope to have it in the next week or two. I have a bunch of parts on the way and plan to start with installing the suspension and brakes myself. I'll post a link here to the build thread once I get started. I've decided to call this the "C7 GS.R".
Welcome to the GS club! Do you have any plans to do any baseline testing on the stock car? Selfishly, I'd be interested in quantifying the difference in lap times that all the mods make.

Last edited by grandsport2017; 01-10-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:35 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by grandsport2017

Welcome to the GS club! Do you have any plans to do any baseline testing on the stock car? Selfishly, I'd be interested in quantifying the difference in lap times that all the mods make.
Probably not in pure stock form and I'm kind of anxious to get this build done before track season gets in full swing. However, I do plan to do suspension and brakes myself and might get it to the track before I send it off for motor, trans, and aero. Summit Point just announced three track days in February so that might give me an opportunity to shake down the car in stages. I had bad experience the last time I went to the track in the cold though. We'll see.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:17 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,395 Likes on 999 Posts

Probably not in pure stock form and I'm kind of anxious to get this build done before track season gets in full swing. However, I do plan to do suspension and brakes myself and might get it to the track before I send it off for motor, trans, and aero. Summit Point just announced three track days in February so that might give me an opportunity to shake down the car in stages. I had bad experience the last time I went to the track in the cold though. We'll see.
Baseline is needed though even if it delays stuff a bit. Considering you're a big data guy. You'd get more sense of accomplishment out of it.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 01-11-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:21 AM
ckchan10
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and I completely understand the rationale for a lighter low power car but it's just not what I'm interested in right now. However, I did just pick up a Civic Type R and plan to do a little track time in that while I get this project sorted so it'll be interesting to try a lighter FWD car.

Good suggestions on the classing piece. A major reason to try out TT is because it is pretty much impossible to get clean laps in HPDE with this pace to set a time and understand if you're improving. The only way I've found to do it is to grid up first and then hold the group behind me for a lap while I warm the tires and then go. I might be get one lap if nobody entered the track late. I also never considered myself competitive but recently I did an autocross and realized that when put in that environment I get very competitive. We'll see if I actually find that fun or not.

I've been thinking and I should be able to limit power on the LT1 427 just by reducing the rev limiter. That should allow me to detune the car to TT1 if I want without any mechanical changes. Exactly how much I need to lower the revs will depend greatly on the final weight with my big **** in the car but I only plan on doing that if I'm way off the pace in TTU.

The 2019 GS 1LT M7 with PDR I ordered from Mike Furman should be built by now so I hope to have it in the next week or two. I have a bunch of parts on the way and plan to start with installing the suspension and brakes myself. I'll post a link here to the build thread once I get started. I've decided to call this the "C7 GS.R".
FYI with time trials (at least with NASA) the sessions are only 15 minutes long and the the faster guys (under 1:20 at Summit) only get 3-4 clean laps then run into the slower traffic. I usually pit in after 3-4 laps cause after that the traffic ruins everyone’s lap times. You may already know this, but just wanted to give heads up just in case you didn’t.

The first time I did TT it felt weird to do such short sessions, but to me it’s worth it. One thing to note, if you’re an instructor you can also run HPDE-4 sessions in addition to TT (although technically you’re not supposed to). I will usually take a student with me to justify it.
The following users liked this post:
Poor-sha (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 08:41 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and I completely understand the rationale for a lighter low power car but it's just not what I'm interested in right now. However, I did just pick up a Civic Type R and plan to do a little track time in that while I get this project sorted so it'll be interesting to try a lighter FWD car.

Good suggestions on the classing piece. A major reason to try out TT is because it is pretty much impossible to get clean laps in HPDE with this pace to set a time and understand if you're improving. The only way I've found to do it is to grid up first and then hold the group behind me for a lap while I warm the tires and then go. I might be get one lap if nobody entered the track late. I also never considered myself competitive but recently I did an autocross and realized that when put in that environment I get very competitive. We'll see if I actually find that fun or not.

I've been thinking and I should be able to limit power on the LT1 427 just by reducing the rev limiter. That should allow me to detune the car to TT1 if I want without any mechanical changes. Exactly how much I need to lower the revs will depend greatly on the final weight with my big **** in the car but I only plan on doing that if I'm way off the pace in TTU.

You can detune by throttle body. It's a relatively trivial matter. The simple explanation of detuning this way is that what happens is if your foot is flat, the throttle body is opening only say 40% or 60%, or whatever is needed to reduce power accordingly. It is done on a dyno. Advantage is that you can flatten the power curve and keep your average power (what NASA measures) as close to your peak power as possible, and not have to mess with pulling timing or capping rev limiters. Wind that pig out! And if you buy HP tuners, you can save multiple tunes and in 5 minutes upload them to the car. So whether you target an initial class or just run TTU for now for fun and testing it is a not a big deal to change (as I've mentioned).

I'm also an instructor with NASA in the NE and if you can make it to their first HPDE event at the Glen in late April and run HPDE4 (I realize it is a LONG haul for you) you will have your TT license in no time (unless you already have laid out plans). Happy to chat offline so I don't clutter up your thread any further.
Poor-sha (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:16 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
Baseline is needed though even if it delays stuff a bit. Considering you're a big data guy. You'd get more sense of accomplishment out of it.
While I agree with you in principle the reality is that it would delay getting started at least 2-3 weeks and even then conditions at my closest track (Summit Point) would be far from optimal. Fortunately I have lots of data already from my FE6 Z06 both with and without the DSC controller, my FE7 Z06, and the ZR1.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:34 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,395 Likes on 999 Posts

While I agree with you in principle the reality is that it would delay getting started at least 2-3 weeks and even then conditions at my closest track (Summit Point) would be far from optimal. Fortunately I have lots of data already from my FE6 Z06 both with and without the DSC controller, my FE7 Z06, and the ZR1.
Fair enough. Corner entry and exit should be relatively the same
Old 01-11-2019, 10:07 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,145 Likes on 5,983 Posts

What color GS did you get? Did you get stage 3 aero or get a stripper so you can do it all yourself?

Regarding NASA TT... if you're fast you get 2-3 laps max. You "get it done" on lap 1 or 2 if you're on As and pit. Otherwise you hit the back markers and you're done. It's a huge rush for me. In some regards I like it more that W2W racing; both are different.

Please start a build thread with the GS and keep us in the loop. I'm very close to going full track build with my C7 and buying a convertible for the street.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:06 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Sean Chin has an event March 2-3 at VIR. There's a VIR club day on the 1st. Should be a little warmer by then.

Herman
Poor-sha (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 02:21 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Jason (toilets) should have some good insight as he has a completely built c7z. His build thread is on here somewhere.

Last edited by heavychevy; 01-11-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Poor-sha (01-11-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 07:43 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,463 Likes on 1,020 Posts

If I were you, I'd still want to get a baseline data, first. This car will not be identical to your other C7s, and benchmarking from stock would give you all the data you need.

Besides, if you finish all mods at once and quickly stop being able to improve your times, where is the fun??
village idiot (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 10:08 PM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

I’m late to the party but I’ll contribute what I think would make for a sweet and inexpensive grand sport build.

Personally I’d keep the standard j56 brakes I’ve really yet to see people over drive these especially with rikhek using them with no issue. Most of the AP weight savings is simply from the rear rotor running an aluminum center vs the factory steel, all we need is someone to machine a new center and you’d have 75% of the rear weight savings for 10% of the cost. For the fronts the weight savings is in the calipers so you’d have to run those if you really needed the 12lb savings over iron j56 brakes.

AC delete -20lbs?
hooker shorty headers -19lbs
norcal deletes -12lbs?
keep OEM x pipe to meet sound
braille g30 lithium battery -32lbs
seats -50lbs
BMS filter
forged wheels -25lbs
slick tires -15lbs??

that’s 173lbs off for not much money. Pulling all the carpet might save another 15lbs

Old 01-12-2019, 10:13 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Pacebellum Let us know how the Hooker shorty headers work. I'm interested in getting a set as well but a few of the vendors here don't like them.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:15 AM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,866 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

The Katech lightweight flywheel would be a viable option for me if you’re going to do internal engine work as well. That saves another 24 pounds. The Akrapovic titanium exhaust would help too.

Last edited by 64drvr; 01-13-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Poor-sha (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 10:52 AM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 213 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C7 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

so just gonna throw this out there since we're taking about weight

my car without driver and half tank of gas is 3215 (2015 1LT Z51)

removed:
carpet
interior panels
mufflers
passenger seat race seat,
OEM seatbelts
speakers
Dash trim molding
door windows
door internals
door trim
engine cover
Z51 spoiler

added:
splitter frame/splitter (birch plywood)
Rear wing/uprights
full cage
kill switch

replaced:
wheels/tires (forgeline GA3R w/Hoosier R7)
driver seat (sparco sprint)
MSRC w/LG G2 coilovers
secondary cats (w/XPipe)
swaybars w/LG swaybars
battery (AGM battery so not a huge weight savings)
front calipers/rotors (J56 on front)
transparent top w/Carbon fiber top

things to remove in the future
rest of dash
AC
entire wiring harness (swap with full motec)
Poor-sha (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 11:15 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lobsterroboto

removed:
carpet
interior panels
mufflers
OEM seatbelts
speakers
Dash trim molding
door windows
door internals
door trim
engine cover
Z51 spoiler

added:
Rear wing/uprights
full cage
kill switch

replaced:
MSRC w/LG G2 coilovers
secondary cats (w/XPipe)
swaybars w/LG swaybars

rest of dash
AC
That seems really heavy... my full-aero caged C5 ST2 car was barely 2800 lbs w/o any exotic body panels and still had OEM front/rear glass.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:23 AM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder

That seems really heavy... my full-aero caged C5 ST2 car was barely 2800 lbs w/o any exotic body panels and still had OEM front/rear glass.
it is a fat pig of a car.

Did your ST2 car have the factory wiring in it still?

what diameter tubing was used for the C5? was it slightly smaller diameter since the car was already lighter?

The rear glass is the next thing to go on this car. my goal is to get a RACE weight of 3300 (currently 3400)

Get notified of new replies

To What Would Be Your Ultimate C7 Track Car Build?

Old 01-13-2019, 07:39 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

removed:
carpet
interior panels
mufflers
OEM seatbelts
speakers
Dash trim molding
door windows
door internals
door trim
engine cover
Z51 spoiler

added:
Rear wing/uprights
full cage
kill switch

replaced:
MSRC w/LG G2 coilovers
secondary cats (w/XPipe)
swaybars w/LG swaybars

rest of dash
AC
Do you know what the weight was stock? That's one of the first things I plan on doing when I get the car is put it on the scales. From talking to my cage builder he said that adds about 115-120 lbs.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:32 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Do you know what the weight was stock? That's one of the first things I plan on doing when I get the car is put it on the scales. From talking to my cage builder he said that adds about 115-120 lbs.
it was about 3450 with a half tank of fuel
Poor-sha (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 12:02 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

it is a fat pig of a car.

Did your ST2 car have the factory wiring in it still?

what diameter tubing was used for the C5? was it slightly smaller diameter since the car was already lighter?

The rear glass is the next thing to go on this car. my goal is to get a RACE weight of 3300 (currently 3400)
OEM harness and 0.120 wall DOM. Doors fully gutted with bars removed. OEM halo removed. C7 frame is 90 lbs lighter but car has more content (dry sump, eDiff, beefier driveline, etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Would Be Your Ultimate C7 Track Car Build?