Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any recommendations for turning plates

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 10:10 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Default Any recommendations for turning plates

Looking to pick up a set of economical turning plates. Does anyone have any they'd recommend or ones to avoid.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:28 PM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

A lot of guys will use two vinyl tiles with some grease or shuffleboard wax or ?? between them.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:48 PM
AND0
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfryjfry
A lot of guys will use two vinyl tiles with some grease or shuffleboard wax or ?? between them.
+1

Also you can stack the tiles to level out the floor. Most floors can use a little leveling to get most accurate alignment. Buy a 6' level from warehouse store to check.

Last edited by AND0; 12-07-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:18 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I made my own using ball bearing turn tables from McMaster Carr and some steel plates. PM me if you want the info.
I should mention that it does require a bit of welding to weld the plates to the turn tables. I would post pictures but I haven't figured out how to do that on the new forum format.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
I would post pictures but I haven't figured out how to do that on the new forum format.
Not any different than it used to be. Click the picture icon and you get 3 choices from which to select pictures. Once you select the ones you want you just upload them by clicking on open and the picture gets uploaded to the forum. Then all you have to do is choose insert and submit. Photobucket screwed things over because of their fee structure so it isn't easy to find a site that will let you link to pictures on the site for free.

Bill
Old 12-07-2018, 08:39 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Not any different than it used to be. Click the picture icon and you get 3 choices from which to select pictures. Once you select the ones you want you just upload them by clicking on open and the picture gets uploaded to the forum. Then all you have to do is choose insert and submit. Photobucket screwed things over because of their fee structure so it isn't easy to find a site that will let you link to pictures on the site for free.

Bill
The process is really easy, but it just doesn't work for me.
I think it's an issue with my browser version.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:48 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I use a few sheets of thin wooden paneling, have different shapes and sizes. Just don’t jack up a leaf spring car during alignment or all of your measurements go out the window
Old 12-09-2018, 12:10 PM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

You can’t jack up ANY car during without changing the alignment. You must always roll the car enough to allow the suspension to settle before re-measuring.

I suppose jacking a live axle car in the middle of that axle (which is usually not recommended) might be the best chance of jacking and lowering without changing something but i would still roll the car back and forth.

This is why alignment racks racks have you drive on to the rails then lift the rails.

Last edited by Jfryjfry; 12-09-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:35 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Early style alignment machines required each wheel to be lifted off the deck for calibration, and most professional alignment rack have slip plates in the rear, allowing independent rear axle cars to better return to ride height. Professional front turn plates are 'floating' (not a caged-bearing setup that only pivots around a center) and are free to slip in and out as well.
But some cars have so much friction in the suspension that they won't return to that level without actually driving them.
Leaf spring Corvettes
Porsche 928s
Cars with new Bilsteins...
Old 12-09-2018, 02:44 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

I align and scale my car on a twin post lift. I find the bucket of water, aquarium tubing, and ruler to be the most effective and accurate way to level your scale pad locations. I used to use 1/4" heavy steel greased plates. Now I use grease light 1/8" flooring tile. I use the flooring tile to set my pad heights. I have an additional 2 tiles that are grease per pad location. I have delrin suspension in my C5Z so I have very little suspension stichion. I have proven to myself that I can get reproducible results on the scales whether I am using thick unbending steel slip plates or then 1/8" flooring tiles. I don't use the heavy steel plates anymore.
The following users liked this post:
Robert Thomas (12-09-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 09:19 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Rolling a leaf corvette won’t settle the suspension, you have to drive it. You can settle a coil car on the rack by bouncing/rolling.

I am only making it clear, from experience, that there is a huge distinction. Ideally you would lift neither, but I can put a pole jack under a corner for minor tweaks on a coilover car and have it resettled in a few seconds. Absolutely can’t with leafs

Old 12-10-2018, 09:51 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Thanks for all the input. I understand what is being said about using grease plates(cheap alternative) I was hoping to find a set that
has degrees indicated on them.
I'm in the middle of working over a 07 A6 Z51 track car build on a budget.
All your inputs are appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To Any recommendations for turning plates

Quick Reply: Any recommendations for turning plates