Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawks vs Katech tenisoner - experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 10:02 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Hawks vs Katech tenisoner - experiences?

Still running stock tensioner on my 500+rwhp C5Z but it is starting to squeak. Hawks is $100 shipped and Katech is $147 shipped and stock ~$60. Anyone use this Hawk:

https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/bil...2-ls3-ls6-ls7/

Just a few comments in the General section about them and they were all good.

Thoughts?
Old 12-14-2018, 10:06 AM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,194 Posts

What makes that pretty billet piece better than a OEM one? Why not go with another OEM one?

Look into what springs are used on each part to see how they differ.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:09 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Was thinking the manually adjusted is probably what I should have.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:12 AM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

I have the Katech, and it needed a bearing pretty quickly, but it was probably my fault as my balancer was going away at that point. I replaced the bearing with a high-quality Japanese bearing, and all is well now.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:14 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Amazon has this one for $50 by LSX Innovations:

Not familiar with them, but an impressive website though.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:28 AM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

ive bought two that looked like that hawks one off ebay for much cheaper. both worked great! one was on my track car that kept throwing belt at 6000 rpm (stock spring wore out) it fixed that. and the other was was on a street car.
i may still have one off the street car, (we were hunting a squeel, didnt fix that so removed) if your interested i can try to find it if you want to buy it. PM me if interested.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:35 AM
SocalC5Z
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
Amazon has this one for $50 by LSX Innovations:

Not familiar with them, but an impressive website though.
I've been running this exact tensioner for 4 years. Works great and stopped my belt problems.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:00 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty2919
What makes that pretty billet piece better than a OEM one? Why not go with another OEM one?

Look into what springs are used on each part to see how they differ.
Stock has a problem with instability of the spring around 6,000 rpms and up and tends to through the belt. later year pulleys have a higher lip that seems to stop the problem also.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:03 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
Stock has a problem with instability of the spring around 6,000 rpms and up and tends to through the belt. later year pulleys have a higher lip that seems to stop the problem also.
I repl my LS6 one with a C6 one a long time ago.

Originally Posted by DunlevysZ
I've been running this exact tensioner for 4 years. Works great and stopped my belt problems.
Just ordered mine from Amazon - $50.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:19 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I’ve been using the Katech for 6 years. It’s a proven, race quality piece that has always done its job flawlessly and has never needed any maintenance. If you had a bearing fail prematurely, I’d be willing to bet you had it too tight.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:42 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I've used several from Katech and all worked well, but those cheaper ones look just fine. You really only need a fixed tensioner if you are running a lightweight clutch and/or underdrive pulley. I throw belts with OEM tensioner since I have a 5.5" clutch and underdrive aluminum damper. That 50lb reduced rotating mass wreaks havoc!
Old 12-21-2018, 09:59 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Got the $50 one from LSX Innovations installed and squeak is all gone. Will see how it holds up when track season comes back around. Now off to fix power steering line leak.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:34 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
You really only need a fixed tensioner if you are running a lightweight clutch and/or underdrive pulley. I throw belts with OEM tensioner since I have a 5.5" clutch and underdrive aluminum damper. That 50lb reduced rotating mass wreaks havoc!
Why is that exactly? I still don't get why GM bothered to spend a ton of time and money and R&D equipping millions of cars with a spring loaded tensioner if the spring wasn't necessary. I don't know enough about it which is why I ask. Every time someone talks about using a fixed tensioner I think about this video and figure there's a reason these things are spring loaded.

Old 12-23-2018, 04:34 PM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts

I assume the reasons are ease of assembly and ease of maintenance. With a spring controlling the tension, installation is trivial and the tensioner won't need maintenance over a lifetime of typical usage.

Race cars see a lot of atypical usage though. With a fixed tensioner, installation requires a torque wrench or good judgment, and it needs to be adjusted periodically. I'm OK with that.

Also, cost. A tensioner that can last for years of atypical usage is probably feasible - but if it costs more, manufacturers won't choose it for typical cars.

Edit: ...and I wonder if supercharged vehicles really do require a spring loaded tensioner, due to belt stretch. A supercharger making lots of pressure at high flow probably puts a lot more tension on the belt than the accessories on naturally aspirated cars.

Last edited by NSFW; 12-23-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:58 AM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
Why is that exactly? I still don't get why GM bothered to spend a ton of time and money and R&D equipping millions of cars with a spring loaded tensioner if the spring wasn't necessary. I don't know enough about it which is why I ask. Every time someone talks about using a fixed tensioner I think about this video and figure there's a reason these things are spring loaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NnM...Iu6qL8ep8LZGw4
The lightweight clutch and high rpms associated with a race engine far exceed the design parameters of the factory unit. I went through 2 factory tensioners and finally fixed the belt throwing issue with a manual tensioner.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:21 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NnM...Iu6qL8ep8LZGw4
I use that video all the time also to illustrate why you can't use a fixed tensioner on a supercharged application. One of the reasons GM uses a spring-loaded tensioner in naturally aspirated applications is to automatically adjust as the belt stretches, or to deal with slight variations in belt length. A fixed tensioner needs to be re-adjusted during maintenance, but eliminates the issue of throwing belts at high RPM and in racing conditions.

(e) zach@katechengines.com

Get notified of new replies

To Hawks vs Katech tenisoner - experiences?

Quick Reply: Hawks vs Katech tenisoner - experiences?