Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Z06 oil issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 07:44 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitrobullitt
My 07 has the arrows
our 06 has the arrow !!!!!
Old 04-18-2021, 09:26 AM
Blackship
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
Thanks @exracer28 That is very helpful. I haven't ever had an oil pump apart, How likely is it that the oil would flow backwards through that?
Hello Sir
After pretty digging work i found this (your) post. My C6 Z06 has the same problem, at a low grade i must say.
Reading dipstick after 5, 6, 7,...to 15 mn does'nt throw the same value. It decreases of 1/5 qt from 5 to 15 mn.
This is actually not the century's scandal but i want to understand.
Did you finally find since 2010 the root cause of our issue.
l've sceen you are a C5 owner today...
Thank's for help (light)
Phil
Old 04-18-2021, 03:39 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

I still have the '09z. It continued to have the odd drain back issue until I changed the oil pump. I did a cam/lifters/timing chain on the car a while back and at the same time changed over to a Katech blue oil pump. The issue went away and never had a problem again. I could check the oil anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes and have pretty repeatable results. The cam and lifters wouldn't do it. Had to be something with the oil pump. I've got the thing sitting around in a box somewhere, but have never taken it apart. The car is currently having the engine rebuilt and it'll receive another Katech blue pump.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:11 AM
Blackship
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
I still have the '09z. It continued to have the odd drain back issue until I changed the oil pump. I did a cam/lifters/timing chain on the car a while back and at the same time changed over to a Katech blue oil pump. The issue went away and never had a problem again. I could check the oil anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes and have pretty repeatable results. The cam and lifters wouldn't do it. Had to be something with the oil pump. I've got the thing sitting around in a box somewhere, but have never taken it apart. The car is currently having the engine rebuilt and it'll receive another Katech blue pump.
Happy that you still have your C6Z too. Wonderfull car !
Thank's for the answer, it's very interesting. I'll follow the trend (currently steady) and replace the pump (by OEM, i'm not a racer at all) if evolution.
DId you have any oil pressure issue before replacing the pump ?
Old 04-19-2021, 06:17 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

No, not at all. it was fine when running. Only issue was the immediate drainback of the tank once shut off. Had the front cover off to do the cam, made no sense not to change the pump. Problem solved. What the issue was with the original OEM pump was I do not know. Someday I might dig it out, open it up and see.

Quick Reply: 2009 Z06 oil issues