lightweight racing batterys - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lightweight racing batterys

Old 01-13-2019, 01:39 PM
Supercharged111
CF Senior Member

The ETX18L is only 340 CCA, that's enough to crank a V8? They're just motorcycle batteries. I see an ETX30L rated at 400CCA.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:46 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
The ETX18L is only 340 CCA, that's enough to crank a V8? They're just motorcycle batteries. I see an ETX30L rated at 400CCA.
yessir CCA is a bit like treadwear ratings on tires, some are inflated some are not.
mine lasted about 5 years starting a supercharged LS2 and I have another about 4 years on a 12:1 LS7. They start like champs
Old 01-13-2019, 04:42 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own either a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
Presently (until I find a lighter battery that makes $/# sense) I'm using a 16# 300 CCA/360 CA $29.95 lawn tractor battery that I get at my local Farm and Fleet store in my '69. With the C4 PMGR starter on the engine it cranks over just fine. I usually run it for about three or four years, depending on when the battery in my lawn tractor dies, and then I put the Corvette battery in the tractor and put a new one in the vette.
The Following User Says Thank You to 69427 For This Useful Post:
smitty2919 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 01:41 PM
Nowanker
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 69427 View Post
Presently (until I find a lighter battery that makes $/# sense) I'm using a 16# 300 CCA/360 CA $29.95 lawn tractor battery that I get at my local Farm and Fleet store in my '69. With the C4 PMGR starter on the engine it cranks over just fine. I usually run it for about three or four years, depending on when the battery in my lawn tractor dies, and then I put the Corvette battery in the tractor and put a new one in the vette.

Awesome idea!
Seems like they only last a year in my lawn tractor anyway.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:59 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own either a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by chetly View Post
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...60cw/overview/

3.5lbs. I use it in my c5. Wonít start the car when itís in the 30ís but I just use my pocket jumper and the car starts. They have a larger version as well that is probably still pretty light.
That battery has my interest/curiosity (I like the protection circuitry described on the manufacturer's website). May I ask what size (amperage) alternator you're running, and what sort of longevity have you gotten (or expect to get) from this battery?

The website's description of the battery's electrical requirement/limitations are rather slim, so I think I'll try to contact BT to see if they'll offer up a few more details.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:34 PM
C6psi
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default another alternative

I have run this for years with only one problem where I left the door cracked in the garage for days and it drained. In fact I was able to recharge from a total drain and still working today. Never any issues at the track. Have left unhooked from battery tender for weeks before by mistake and still keeps going. Around 4.9 Lbs.

LFX36L3-BS12MSRP: $329.95

SHORAI LFX Lithium-Iron Powersports battery, 36Ah PbEq 12V eq, "L" polarity, Case Type 3 Length 6.55" Width 3.39" Height 6.10" Shorai Batteries require a charging system output of 13.1 Volts or higher at idle, and must not exceed 15.2 volts at maximum output.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:44 PM
C6psi
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I've been using the Deltran 480 amp version that weighs something like 4.4 lbs for nearly 3 years on my C5 and cannot believe that this $225-ish battery is still working. I keep it on a lithium battery maintainer when the vehicle is stored and always take a "real" battery with me to the track as a backup because I still can't believe this tiny battery starts and runs the car with no issue.

The newest version has automatic shut off from over and under charging according to their website which is a very important safety feature IMO when dealing with lithiums.

Slightly lighter than mine at 4.9 lbs., may need to check into this one when it is time to replace. Never had a start issue on mine unless I made a mistake, any need to use that "real" battery at the track?

Last edited by C6psi; 01-16-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:12 PM
JHrinsin
CF Senior Member

I have not gotten that far with the C5 yet, but I have used numerous light weight batteries in other track cars. When the 21 lbs Braille battery #B3121 died in the last track car, I replaced it with the slightly heavier 25 lbs Yuasa AGM 500 CCA 32Ah #GYZ32HL battery and I was very happy.

https://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery/gyz32hl/
Old 01-17-2019, 02:17 AM
TurbineSurgine
CF Senior Member

I have had the antigravity atx 20 for a few weeks now, so far it's been great, turns over my ls3 in my c4 with no problems
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079VWGY2N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_V0bqCbFTJN341

Last edited by TurbineSurgine; 01-17-2019 at 02:18 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:55 AM
TrackAire
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by C6psi View Post
I've been using the Deltran 480 amp version that weighs something like 4.4 lbs for nearly 3 years on my C5 and cannot believe that this $225-ish battery is still working. I keep it on a lithium battery maintainer when the vehicle is stored and always take a "real" battery with me to the track as a backup because I still can't believe this tiny battery starts and runs the car with no issue.

The newest version has automatic shut off from over and under charging according to their website which is a very important safety feature IMO when dealing with lithiums.

Slightly lighter than mine at 4.9 lbs., may need to check into this one when it is time to replace. Never had a start issue on mine unless I made a mistake, any need to use that "real" battery at the track?
I tracked the car all day on Saturday and the car's been sitting in the trailer every since. This evening I just remembered that I had left the Battery Tender lithium battery on the car but not connected to the battery maintainer......I checked the voltage before re-connecting and it was at 13.1 Volts. The car was left in the trailer unlocked and without the alarm on. I'm guessing leaving the alarm on probably would cause a bigger drain. So it sat for 4 complete days and the voltage is still good enough to start the car, pretty impressive.

I've not had to use the "real" battery at the track or anywhere else except when I took the car to Abel Chevrolet for some upgrades and I knew it would be there over a long Thanksgiving holiday. On track, that little Battery Tender unit has never missed a beat. Here is the newest version with safety kill switches built in:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtn-btl24a480cw

I bought some brass drop down side post connections that let me connect to the stock battery cables in minutes. They just bolt to the top of the lithium battery and turn it into a side post. Tomorrow I'll look up the part number when I get to work....I should have it in the cars maintenance file.
The Following User Says Thank You to TrackAire For This Useful Post:
Tool Hoarder (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 06:35 AM
Whis9
CF Senior Member

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lightweight racing batterys

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: