Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lightweight racing batterys

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 12:39 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

The ETX18L is only 340 CCA, that's enough to crank a V8? They're just motorcycle batteries. I see an ETX30L rated at 400CCA.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:46 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
The ETX18L is only 340 CCA, that's enough to crank a V8? They're just motorcycle batteries. I see an ETX30L rated at 400CCA.
yessir CCA is a bit like treadwear ratings on tires, some are inflated some are not.
mine lasted about 5 years starting a supercharged LS2 and I have another about 4 years on a 12:1 LS7. They start like champs
Old 01-13-2019, 03:42 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Presently (until I find a lighter battery that makes $/# sense) I'm using a 16# 300 CCA/360 CA $29.95 lawn tractor battery that I get at my local Farm and Fleet store in my '69. With the C4 PMGR starter on the engine it cranks over just fine. I usually run it for about three or four years, depending on when the battery in my lawn tractor dies, and then I put the Corvette battery in the tractor and put a new one in the vette.
The following users liked this post:
smitty2919 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 12:41 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
Presently (until I find a lighter battery that makes $/# sense) I'm using a 16# 300 CCA/360 CA $29.95 lawn tractor battery that I get at my local Farm and Fleet store in my '69. With the C4 PMGR starter on the engine it cranks over just fine. I usually run it for about three or four years, depending on when the battery in my lawn tractor dies, and then I put the Corvette battery in the tractor and put a new one in the vette.

Awesome idea!
Seems like they only last a year in my lawn tractor anyway.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:59 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by chetly
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...60cw/overview/

3.5lbs. I use it in my c5. Won’t start the car when it’s in the 30’s but I just use my pocket jumper and the car starts. They have a larger version as well that is probably still pretty light.
That battery has my interest/curiosity (I like the protection circuitry described on the manufacturer's website). May I ask what size (amperage) alternator you're running, and what sort of longevity have you gotten (or expect to get) from this battery?

The website's description of the battery's electrical requirement/limitations are rather slim, so I think I'll try to contact BT to see if they'll offer up a few more details.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:34 PM
C6psi
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default another alternative

I have run this for years with only one problem where I left the door cracked in the garage for days and it drained. In fact I was able to recharge from a total drain and still working today. Never any issues at the track. Have left unhooked from battery tender for weeks before by mistake and still keeps going. Around 4.9 Lbs.

LFX36L3-BS12MSRP: $329.95

SHORAI LFX Lithium-Iron Powersports battery, 36Ah PbEq 12V eq, "L" polarity, Case Type 3 Length 6.55" Width 3.39" Height 6.10" Shorai Batteries require a charging system output of 13.1 Volts or higher at idle, and must not exceed 15.2 volts at maximum output.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:44 PM
C6psi
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been using the Deltran 480 amp version that weighs something like 4.4 lbs for nearly 3 years on my C5 and cannot believe that this $225-ish battery is still working. I keep it on a lithium battery maintainer when the vehicle is stored and always take a "real" battery with me to the track as a backup because I still can't believe this tiny battery starts and runs the car with no issue.

The newest version has automatic shut off from over and under charging according to their website which is a very important safety feature IMO when dealing with lithiums.

Slightly lighter than mine at 4.9 lbs., may need to check into this one when it is time to replace. Never had a start issue on mine unless I made a mistake, any need to use that "real" battery at the track?

Last edited by C6psi; 01-16-2019 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:12 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 389 Likes on 317 Posts

I have not gotten that far with the C5 yet, but I have used numerous light weight batteries in other track cars. When the 21 lbs Braille battery #B3121 died in the last track car, I replaced it with the slightly heavier 25 lbs Yuasa AGM 500 CCA 32Ah #GYZ32HL battery and I was very happy.

https://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery/gyz32hl/
Old 01-17-2019, 01:17 AM
TurbineSurgine
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have had the antigravity atx 20 for a few weeks now, so far it's been great, turns over my ls3 in my c4 with no problems
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079VWGY2N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_V0bqCbFTJN341

Last edited by TurbineSurgine; 01-17-2019 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:55 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by C6psi
I've been using the Deltran 480 amp version that weighs something like 4.4 lbs for nearly 3 years on my C5 and cannot believe that this $225-ish battery is still working. I keep it on a lithium battery maintainer when the vehicle is stored and always take a "real" battery with me to the track as a backup because I still can't believe this tiny battery starts and runs the car with no issue.

The newest version has automatic shut off from over and under charging according to their website which is a very important safety feature IMO when dealing with lithiums.

Slightly lighter than mine at 4.9 lbs., may need to check into this one when it is time to replace. Never had a start issue on mine unless I made a mistake, any need to use that "real" battery at the track?
I tracked the car all day on Saturday and the car's been sitting in the trailer every since. This evening I just remembered that I had left the Battery Tender lithium battery on the car but not connected to the battery maintainer......I checked the voltage before re-connecting and it was at 13.1 Volts. The car was left in the trailer unlocked and without the alarm on. I'm guessing leaving the alarm on probably would cause a bigger drain. So it sat for 4 complete days and the voltage is still good enough to start the car, pretty impressive.

I've not had to use the "real" battery at the track or anywhere else except when I took the car to Abel Chevrolet for some upgrades and I knew it would be there over a long Thanksgiving holiday. On track, that little Battery Tender unit has never missed a beat. Here is the newest version with safety kill switches built in:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtn-btl24a480cw

I bought some brass drop down side post connections that let me connect to the stock battery cables in minutes. They just bolt to the top of the lithium battery and turn it into a side post. Tomorrow I'll look up the part number when I get to work....I should have it in the cars maintenance file.
The following users liked this post:
RapidC84B (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 05:35 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

https://earthxbatteries.com/product-category/race-cars
Old 02-28-2019, 10:16 PM
Tech Contributor

I went on the Deltran/Battery Tender website to look for a bit more detail on the charging requirements/limits of their batteries. Didn't see much info, so I left a couple questions in their techline section. So far I haven't gotten the courtesy of a reply from them.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:18 AM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 389 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackAire
I tracked the car all day on Saturday and the car's been sitting in the trailer every since. This evening I just remembered that I had left the Battery Tender lithium battery on the car but not connected to the battery maintainer......I checked the voltage before re-connecting and it was at 13.1 Volts. The car was left in the trailer unlocked and without the alarm on. I'm guessing leaving the alarm on probably would cause a bigger drain. So it sat for 4 complete days and the voltage is still good enough to start the car, pretty impressive.

I've not had to use the "real" battery at the track or anywhere else except when I took the car to Abel Chevrolet for some upgrades and I knew it would be there over a long Thanksgiving holiday. On track, that little Battery Tender unit has never missed a beat. Here is the newest version with safety kill switches built in:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtn-btl24a480cw

I bought some brass drop down side post connections that let me connect to the stock battery cables in minutes. They just bolt to the top of the lithium battery and turn it into a side post. Tomorrow I'll look up the part number when I get to work....I should have it in the cars maintenance file.
That is a great price for a lithium light weight battery. My only concern would be if you are running the factory stock alternator and electrical system, or if you have stripped the car, have a very simplified electrical system and load as well as a reduced output alternator. A lot of these smaller batteries have a maximum allowable alternator that they can be run with, although not all of them list that in their specifications.

Last edited by JHrinsin; 03-01-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:43 PM
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by JHrinsin
That is a great price for a lithium light weight battery. My only concern would be if you are running the factory stock alternator and electrical system, or if you have stripped the car, have a very simplified electrical system and load as well as a reduced output alternator. A lot of these smaller batteries have a maximum allowable alternator that they can be run with, although not all of them list that in their specifications.
I agree. That's my main holdup from buying one of these batteries. I had hoped to get an answer from the manufacturer, but nothing so far.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:18 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I switched to a lithium last year when my AGM wore out. It was a bit pricy! I'm using the battery tender 360 cca and it's been fine on the stock charging circuit in my 1988. It's funny when you pick up the battery as it weighs nothing. It's like they forgot to put anything inside the case! Amazon link if it's okay:

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-03-2019, 12:10 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by JHrinsin
My car is a full street legal car with stock interior, ac, radio, etc (except it has race seats) utilizing the stock alternator and charging system. My el cheapo lithium runs everything perfectly and I've even forgot it was there when I went to cars and coffee, etc. Having said that, I designed the lithium on its on small mount that mimics the size of the full size AGM battery so I can swap them out in less than 5 minutes using the stock single bolt hold down clamp. I would suggest a full size battery (I use an AGM) for everyday street driving, etc. I recommend the lithium for the track.

I never let the lithium run low as I always keep it on a lithium battery tender.....that way the alternator is not trying to pump a bunch of amps into it trying to recharge it from a deep discharge state. The alternators regulator keeps the amp charge pretty low since the lithium is always near full. The better lithiums have circuitry built into them to physically shut off the charging circuit if the incoming amp charge is too high. They will also disconnect from your vehicle if the parasitic drain is too much which can drain a lithium below its safe voltage level. Think of it as a mechanical disconnect switch that is built into the inside of the top of the battery.

I bought mine off Amazon....you can always buy it and try it. If you don't like it, send it back.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:28 PM
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I switched to a lithium last year when my AGM wore out. It was a bit pricy! I'm using the battery tender 360 cca and it's been fine on the stock charging circuit in my 1988. It's funny when you pick up the battery as it weighs nothing. It's like they forgot to put anything inside the case! Amazon link if it's okay:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Just curious, any updates?

Shopping around, it looks like the Deltran lithium batteries are starting to get a bit more "reasonably" priced. I've got a bit more mass to crank over in my engine, so I'm leaning towards the 480CCA model just for a bit of additional capacity. I never did hear back from Deltran regarding some technical questions, but so far there seems to be a few members in this thread that have had good luck with these batteries, so that might have to be the info I take into consideration.

Get notified of new replies

To lightweight racing batterys

Old 03-31-2019, 12:13 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Mine is still working fine. When the engine was brand new and tight the 360 was a bit low to crank it. That's the only time I've noticed it struggle. I got the battery tender lithium iron charger/tender for xmas so that is on it most of the time.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:05 PM
Tech Contributor

Just checking back in to see if there's any additional inputs or updates on battery options.

I had a several post exchange with a forum sponsor inquiring about their batteries, and usage cranking over a big block, but my conclusion was that he was only comfortable recommending one of his larger batteries for my application. The larger battery was obviously heavier and much more expensive, which made the dollars-per-pound-removed from the car a cost/benefit ratio I couldn't justify for a street/trackday car.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:33 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Mine's still crankin'!

Quick Reply: lightweight racing batterys