Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

afe/Pfadt Featherlight Coilovers, having issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 07:43 PM
Bossdog
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Default afe/Pfadt Featherlight Coilovers, having issues

I sent my front Pfadt Featherlight Coilovers back to afe/Pfadt for rebuild. They rebuilt them and sent them back to me and one had a max adjustment range of 26 clicks and the other one has 31 click range. I have been calling and emailing AFE Control form months and months. I always speak with the same customer service guy, but he can never get an answer from his engineering staff. I have begged him to let me speak direct to an engineer or the guy who actually rebuilds the coilovers but he will not.

Anyone else have issue communicating with afe Control / Pfadt?

Old 01-20-2019, 02:43 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

You know how I got to the bottom of my issues...I walked up to certain people at SEMA with lots of other people atanding there...lol. Problem solved.

To my understanding there is another guy rebuilding these that had the proper seals and parts after the "pfadt incident" and before the AFe deal. Its in a thread somewhere where people asked about rebuiorebu Pfadts.

I think the reality is, in the future...probably gonna have to go a different route.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:16 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

My experience is phone calls are not returned. They did rush an order to me a year ago after sending the wrong parts, so that resolved well. I place a phone call last week and never got a return call.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:32 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I almost chimed in earlier..............they are decent street parts, but not really track worthy. They don't hold up, and they can't be rebuilt any better than they are when they fail.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:54 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

There were several versions of this shocks floating around. Some where Ohlins, some were something else. Angelo from ANZE Engineering rebuilt a set for me which really just needed seals. I sold them to someone for street use but his impression of the non-Ohlin versions was that they were actually a pretty good design with a mixture of misapplied parts (like Formula 1 style ultra low friction seals which are designed for one Formula 1 race and which **** the bed while still on the trailer.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:59 AM
Bossdog
Racer

I did finally get a call form the (new) suspension production manager at aFe Control. He was very pleasant and eager to help resolve my issue.
Bottom line: The additional clicks I have in 1 coilover is a result of tolerance stacking and is something observed in new production. He assured me additional clicks (adjustment) are after the needle valve is fully open/extracted and does not affect setting performance. He offered to readjust the one coliover with 30 clicks to match the others. Given it is apparently inconsequential, I'm not inclined to remove again and send in.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:39 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bossdog
I did finally get a call form the (new) suspension production manager at aFe Control. He was very pleasant and eager to help resolve my issue.
Bottom line: The additional clicks I have in 1 coilover is a result of tolerance stacking and is something observed in new production. He assured me additional clicks (adjustment) are after the needle valve is fully open/extracted and does not affect setting performance. He offered to readjust the one coliover with 30 clicks to match the others. Given it is apparently inconsequential, I'm not inclined to remove again and send in.
Hmm.. so the suspension production manager basically told you that of the 4x coilovers you received back from being rebuilt by aFe it is completely fine that 1x of them has an aditional 4-5 clicks of adjustment range because the additional clicks do nothing as they occur after the needle valve is fully open???? Sounds like . When you got them back they provided you with shock dyno graphs so that you can verify that all 4x shocks are actually valved the same right?
The following users liked this post:
Bossdog (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 06:11 PM
Bossdog
Racer

Originally Posted by Werks
Hmm.. so the suspension production manager basically told you that of the 4x coilovers you received back from being rebuilt by aFe it is completely fine that 1x of them has an aditional 4-5 clicks of adjustment range because the additional clicks do nothing as they occur after the needle valve is fully open???? Sounds like . When you got them back they provided you with shock dyno graphs so that you can verify that all 4x shocks are actually valved the same right?
i only had the front 2 rebuilt. I did not think to ask about getting a copy of the shock dyno, it was not included in my shipment. It says on their web site that is part of the rebuild process. I’ll ask if they keep a copy that they could send me.
Thats good input. Thanks!

Last edited by Bossdog; 05-05-2021 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:13 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

I didn't receive the shock dyno report in the end personally, but...my PFadts poured out oil upon install (I got some of the last ones when the black friday incident happened). I was able to get some great help from a particular guy at AFe and they've been real good since, no issues at all. No shock dyno, but given how things happened, I was just grateful AFe helped me out and I appreciated it 100%. I feel like my Pfadts are a little oversprung for the street but...overall they feel good.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:42 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Yes, the seals used by Pfadt shortly before the company was sold to aFe were very problematic. In theory they were a good seal. In practice they did not work out well.

aFe has been working hard to make good on Pfadt issues that shortly prior to the sale were a big problem. The problems were headers that had poor fitment. aFe has a ton of experience in that area. They redid all the jigs and now that problem is gone. For the shocks they have changed out the seals and rebuilt untold number of shocks for customers who had problems. They have the money and the company culture to make things right. They are multi-multi fold larger than Pfadt Engineering and they have tremendous resources and equipment at their three large facilities not too far from where I live.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:18 AM
lbk16
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is AFe rebuilding coilovers again? I was under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that AFe was no longer rebuilding coilovers.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:30 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
Yes, the seals used by Pfadt shortly before the company was sold to aFe were very problematic. In theory they were a good seal. In practice they did not work out well.

aFe has been working hard to make good on Pfadt issues that shortly prior to the sale were a big problem. The problems were headers that had poor fitment. aFe has a ton of experience in that area. They redid all the jigs and now that problem is gone. For the shocks they have changed out the seals and rebuilt untold number of shocks for customers who had problems. They have the money and the company culture to make things right. They are multi-multi fold larger than Pfadt Engineering and they have tremendous resources and equipment at their three large facilities not too far from where I live.
They may have the money but if the service that the people above are commenting on that they have been receiving is them "having the company culture to make things right" then it looks like they still got a whole lot of work left to do. You have always been a big defender of that company and their products though, didn't you help broker the sale of them to aFe or something like that?
Old 01-23-2019, 03:39 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Werks
They may have the money but if the service that the people above are commenting on that they have been receiving is them "having the company culture to make things right" then it looks like they still got a whole lot of work left to do. You have always been a big defender of that company and their products though, didn't you help broker the sale of them to aFe or something like that?

Brokering is not the right word as that conveys a legal meaning. I introduced Aaron Pfadt to Nick the CEO of aFe Power, some months after Aaron closed his doors. It was a shame I thought to have all that IP and product waste away, not to mention the orphaned state that would place all the buyers of their product. Yes, I have been an advocate for Pfadt/aFe as I have been for Forgestar, AP, Phoenix Performance, Hoosier and others. Through my years of racing from coast-to-coast I have gotten to know the principals and key personnel at all these companies. When I like and use their products, and when I like the people and culture I will become one of their biggest advocates. aFe is a good company working to rehabilitate a tarnished brand they purchased that has some good products.
RapidC84B (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 03:47 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

I have AFE bars on my C7. Good product, crap instructions and poor service after the fact. They hashed together install instructions using C5/6 diagrams and info and have completely wrong torque specs and completely omit that the C7 front bar uses a torque-to-yield one-time use fastener. They didn't bother responding when I sent them pics of the OEM service manuals showing their specs were all wrong asking for clarification/verification as I'd never seen a TTY bolt used for a swaybar. Sure enough it is!

Last edited by RapidC84B; 01-23-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:09 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
I have AFE bars on my C7. Good product, crap instructions and poor service after the fact. They hashed together install instructions using C5/6 diagrams and info and have completely wrong torque specs and completely omit that the C7 front bar uses a torque-to-yield one-time use fastener. They didn't bother responding when I sent them pics of the OEM service manuals showing their specs were all wrong asking for clarification/verification as I'd never seen a TTY bolt used for a swaybar. Sure enough it is!
You're one of the lucky ones. I've seen several different cars break Pfadt parts and a couple of those failures resulted in cars crashing on track. We will not install or repair anything in the shop that has their name on it.
Dane@LGmotorsports (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 03:30 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
You're one of the lucky ones. I've seen several different cars break Pfadt parts and a couple of those failures resulted in cars crashing on track. We will not install or repair anything in the shop that has their name on it.
The C7 bars are one piece. No silly separate end-blade.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:18 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

A multi-time national champ uses the three piece Pfadt bars not only on his car, but others cars that make the podium that are set-up by him. He and his car are undoubtedly the fastest privateer Corvette in sanctioned racing that is not funded by GM.

I personally have used the same bars since 2010 without any incident or problem. I finally just replaced both of mine six months ago after a crash at Thunderhill that essentially totaled that chassis. And I do as many laps and races as just about anybody, probably a lot more. Proper installation has a lot to do with success.

Get notified of new replies

To afe/Pfadt Featherlight Coilovers, having issues

Old 01-26-2019, 06:10 AM
shane p
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts

I cant believe any company would buy a company that has had so many problems like Pfadt. Pfadt seemed to have a lot of good ideas but **** poor engineered.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:41 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Like stated above though, Pfadt had a ton of IP value, connections, R&D, etc. The company certainly had value to be owned, likely at cents on the dollar, given the state the company was in...so for AFe, it was a pure win...they even got Aaron with it so...
Old 01-29-2019, 12:27 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

My St1 car is pretty much a rolling Pfadt catalog, from camber kit, some of the first two way shocks Aaron made, comp bars, trans mounts, motor mounts, I've never had any problems with any of it.

Quick Reply: afe/Pfadt Featherlight Coilovers, having issues