Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contingency plan for on track mishap

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 10:06 AM
GoatHead
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Contingency plan for on track mishap

If you drive to the track, what is your plan for on track mishap?

I drive to VIR for DE events. I am about 70 miles away from the track. I don't know exactly what to do, if I have an accident on the track and the car can't be driven back home. I don't own a truck and trailer, and I will always have track insurance.

How long does the track administrator allow my car to be parked there?
Do I tow the car to my dealer 70 miles away? or find a close by dealer to fix?
Do I notify my Track Insurance right the way, or wait to determine if the fix can be done under or close to my deductible? I prefer not report the accident, if I the cost is close to my deductible.

Unrelated question, what should I do if I get a flat due to a nail driving to the track? Can I be on the tracked with patched tire (I don't think I should)? I don't think tire for our cars are readily available at repair shops.

Thanks,

Old 01-23-2019, 11:07 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I run triple A's package that gives me 200 miles of towing which covers me for my local track well enough. My assumption on a track further away I'll bum a ride to u-haul and rent a truck and hauler although every time I've had a problem someone has offered to let me borrow their truck and trailer (which always shocks me but I run with some really good folks).
The following users liked this post:
GoatHead (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:45 AM
synner
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Typically every track day has folks who will help out. Last time I was broke at VIR I got 2 business cards and an individual who offered to help tow it home after I was towed off track when a line broke. I was 5 hours away from home. Luckily I was able to duct tape the life out of the car but within a year I had bought a truck and trailer, lol.

As for who fixes it, it depends how broke it is. But it'd be a cold day in hell before I towed it to a dealer after a track issue, or ever for that matter.

I know some folks who run internally patched tires. I'd never run an externally plugged tire on track EVER. Personally I think new tires are cheaper than new cars or lost lives.

Last edited by synner; 01-23-2019 at 11:47 AM.
GoatHead (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 12:18 PM
PeteC7
Pro

Received 214 Likes on 157 Posts

I drive to the track also and my plan would be to leave it with the local race shop on site. Let them get it driveable or if its bad then just call a flatbed to take it elsewhere. I figure a couple hundred bucks which is no biggie although I need to look into that triple A idea. It would all depend on the tracks you frequent and the insurance policy you buy.

I'd have no issue running a patched run flat tire but I wouldn't with my 18" non run flat r-comps.
GoatHead (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 12:21 PM
TCorzett
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

In my area AAA's Premier level has 200 miles of free towing per year for only $120/yr. Having used this twice to get home from the track (not in my Corvette) it's been a life saver... the last tow was ~160 miles and would have cost over $900 without the roadside membership. Knowing where you're going to tow the car (dealer, shop, home) is good to think about in advance... if you're hesitant going to the dealer, finding a performance shop that's familiar with Corvettes might be a good idea. Having some prior experience with a shop, knowing they'll take care of you properly, is important... when you're car is on a flatbed with an engine problem your negotiation options are far fewer.

Last edited by TCorzett; 01-23-2019 at 07:54 PM.
GoatHead (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 02:15 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

AAA, haven't needed it yet.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:07 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

my tracks have always been 2.5 hours away. and i drive chevys. so i had to buy a trailer when i started tracking. best thing i ever did. has saved me at least a handful of times.
also dont have to drive around on race tires, heat cycling them out.
so many benifits.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:48 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by GoatHead
If you drive to the track, what is your plan for on track mishap?

I drive to VIR for DE events. I am about 70 miles away from the track. I don't know exactly what to do, if I have an accident on the track and the car can't be driven back home. I don't own a truck and trailer, and I will always have track insurance.

How long does the track administrator allow my car to be parked there?
Do I tow the car to my dealer 70 miles away? or find a close by dealer to fix?
Do I notify my Track Insurance right the way, or wait to determine if the fix can be done under or close to my deductible? I prefer not report the accident, if I the cost is close to my deductible.

Unrelated question, what should I do if I get a flat due to a nail driving to the track? Can I be on the tracked with patched tire (I don't think I should)? I don't think tire for our cars are readily available at repair shops.

Thanks,
! depends on the track
2. defiantly take to your shop
3. I have called right away, only file a claim if you can't bite the bullit on the cost to repair.
4. AAA is the way to go for under 200 or close miles. I have ridden home with the tow driver.
5. found out the hard way, don't use the track towing service. cost me $2,500 for 470 miles from VIR

6. alternately rent a uhaul truck & trailer and do it yourself!
GoatHead (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 03:52 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
5. found out the hard way, don't use the track towing service. cost me $2,500 for 470 miles from VIR:
Did Ted Towtruck at least use lube?
Old 01-23-2019, 03:55 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Did Ted Towtruck at least use lube?
nope he presented the bill at the body shop I had to pay by card over the phone

Last edited by ErnieN85; 01-23-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:49 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I did not, get track insurance when I was running the C5, figured with the money I would have spent over 4 years That was a long way to fixing it, and it I did stuff it into a wall or a tree, I was hoping there was enough salvageable to just cage it and go.
I've seen track allow the damaged cars to park outside the gate so you can come back for them even after they have closed.
My plan was cry, tow it with AAA or u-haul (depending on the distance), and then fix it or salvage for parts.

Now that I have the dedicated race car, a trailer is required.
GoatHead (01-23-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 10:07 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Is a truck and trailer out of the question? I had to winch mine on twice this year, love that ability. Drive home and deal with it whenever you feel like it. Both mine were electrical issues, one self induced.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:27 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I elected 30 years ago to always own a trailer and always tow. While I've had a few trailer tire failures over the years, trailering is something I never regret.

VIR is easy to deal with, I don't think they would give you a hard time about leaving your car a night or two. However, there is a decent chance another attendee could give you a ride. I've towed a few cars to local cities over the years in my trailers.

As for patching, I wouldn't hesitate to plug and even track a tire that simply had a small nail or screw in it. More extensive damage, or a tire that has been driver while flat, is a different story. Bottom line is that plugs are amazing but they have their limits.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:21 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Like others I have the AAA coverage which is the cheapest way if you live within 200 miles of your normal track. I have used that coverage once at my track of choice, VIR. I normally drive to the track but I could easily trailer if it becomes a problem.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:33 AM
GoatHead
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks for sharing guys.

I am going to subscribe to AAA. I still have the factory warranty and I have an extended warranty as well. So, in case of mechanical failure (not a crash), I'd want to haul it to my local dealer. Truck and a trailer is not an option.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:51 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Originally Posted by GoatHead
Thanks for sharing guys.

I am going to subscribe to AAA. I still have the factory warranty and I have an extended warranty as well. So, in case of mechanical failure (not a crash), I'd want to haul it to my local dealer. Truck and a trailer is not an option.
FYI all Corvettes under GM warranty have roadside assistance already. Might be worth checking range. They may only tow to nearest dealer.

Get notified of new replies

To Contingency plan for on track mishap

Quick Reply: Contingency plan for on track mishap