Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[BUILD] My Ultimate C7 Track Car - The C7 GS.R

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 04:11 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 213 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C7 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
I gave ya a special GSR designation in the lap times thread so ya stand out...lol.

cool did you update the rest of the laps? I didn't see quite a few of my laps on the page yet.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:09 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by lobsterroboto
cool did you update the rest of the laps? I didn't see quite a few of my laps on the page yet.
Only inputting fast laps today!
Old 06-15-2019, 05:15 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,314 Likes on 990 Posts

I've long updated everything there, over two months ago, shy of one or two since the update...I don't see your laps beyond that point.

Edit: I see you posted some times with no vids or data afterwards. I'll get them in there but prefer some verification method.

Last edited by KnightDriveTV; 06-15-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:21 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
I've long updated everything there, over two months ago, shy of one or two since the update...I don't see your laps beyond that point.

Edit: I see you posted some times with no vids or data afterwards. I'll get them in there but prefer some verification method.
transponder timed, I linked the laps from racehero.io

Last edited by lobsterroboto; 06-15-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:16 PM
rico750sxi
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 137 Posts

What about installing a cheap disconnect switch until the issue can be resolved? You’d have to leave the hatch unlatched but at least it would prevent the battery from dying.

Top Post Battery Master Disconnect Switch
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-15-2019, 08:49 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Originally Posted by rico750sxi
What about installing a cheap disconnect switch until the issue can be resolved? You’d have to leave the hatch unlatched but at least it would prevent the battery from dying.

Top Post Battery Master Disconnect Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001N729FS..._xOybDbFP8DW7R

Since it’s caged he really needs a cockpit accessible kill switch but battery drain is a thing on our cars as soon as we break circuits like the power windows and what not.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:57 PM
rico750sxi
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 137 Posts

I see what you’re saying, I was just suggesting it as a stop gap so he could still attend track days and keep the battery alive.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:08 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Since it’s caged he really needs a cockpit accessible kill switch but battery drain is a thing on our cars as soon as we break circuits like the power windows and what not.
So you've had this issue as well? Any workarounds? I pulled a bunch of fuses tonight for things that were removed but I have no idea if it will help. At least for the next couple weeks I'm going to have to just unhook the battery when I get off track and a kill switch would make that easier. I did order a parasitic drain cable to try and troubleshoot this next week.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:19 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
So you've had this issue as well? Any workarounds? I pulled a bunch of fuses tonight for things that were removed but I have no idea if it will help. At least for the next couple weeks I'm going to have to just unhook the battery when I get off track and a kill switch would make that easier. I did order a parasitic drain cable to try and troubleshoot this next week.

Yep same issue, I’ve pulled all sorts of fuses. Battery tender with the switch on doesn’t matter the battery will just drain faster than the tender can supply a charge.

I keep it on a battery tender with the switch off at home and on a track weekend I’ll keep the switch on all day and turn it off after the track goes cold.

If I figure it out I’ll let you know tho. I haven’t been in a hurry tho because I just use the switch.

eta: also once you get a killswitch or start disconnecting the battery you’ll run into an issue with the “rear axle” ignore this... turn the car off and turn it back on and it’ll be fine.

Last edited by lobsterroboto; 06-15-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:56 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Yep same issue, I’ve pulled all sorts of fuses. Battery tender with the switch on doesn’t matter the battery will just drain faster than the tender can supply a charge.

I keep it on a battery tender with the switch off at home and on a track weekend I’ll keep the switch on all day and turn it off after the track goes cold.

If I figure it out I’ll let you know tho. I haven’t been in a hurry tho because I just use the switch.

eta: also once you get a killswitch or start disconnecting the battery you’ll run into an issue with the “rear axle” ignore this... turn the car off and turn it back on and it’ll be fine.
Super helpful, thanks. Do you have any idea what is staying powered up?
Old 06-15-2019, 10:03 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Super helpful, thanks. Do you have any idea what is staying powered up?

My theory is onstar. I need to pull the onstar fuse in the rear I think it is. 42 if i remember right. I’m super lazy and so have to take my wing off to open my hatch unless i open my garage door
Old 06-15-2019, 10:23 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

My theory is onstar. I need to pull the onstar fuse in the rear I think it is. 42 if i remember right. I’m super lazy and so have to take my wing off to open my hatch unless i open my garage door
I pulled that one today along with a bunch of others so we'll see. I probably won't test until I get through the track day Monday though. I should've made a list of everything I pulled the fuse with but it was everything I removed and several were 30a fuses. Power seats, windows, onstar, seat heater, glove box door, washer pump.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:37 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

I pulled that one today along with a bunch of others so we'll see. I probably won't test until I get through the track day Monday though. I should've made a list of everything I pulled the fuse with but it was everything I removed and several were 30a fuses. Power seats, windows, onstar, seat heater, glove box door, washer pump.

How difficult was was it to remove your washer stuff? And how much did it end up saving you weight wise?
Old 06-15-2019, 10:58 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

I don't know the solution to the battery drain, other than every Vette I have ever owned suffers from it and I hate chasing electrical gremlins. And the more crap I rip out the more it seems to randomly drain. Probably doesn't help that my battery gets lighter and smaller every chance I get. Do you have anything else plugged into the car? In the OBDII port? For my caged C6Z I have the following:

1) Kill switch wired to alternator for safety reasons and solenoid to kill all juice to battery during rest. One switch does it all.
2) Hand held jump starter to get car started if I stupidly forget to hit kill switch when car is sitting

Battery has only one job in a race car, and that is to start the car. Racers don't care about reserve capacity. Only pulse hot cranking amps during starting delivered with the least amount of weight (means very little reserve capacity).

I'd install a kill switch to the alternator and a solenoid. I have no interest in chasing random drains on a battery with the car shut off. Shut car off, flip switch. Done. Flip switch before start, starts every time. Never an issue.
The following users liked this post:
bbbvettes.com (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 03:32 AM
0bbbvettes.com
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts

Was your roll cage a 1 off Sean, or does that company now have the ability to replicate the identical cage, and have them for sale?

Katech Jason, I like the carbon thin roof, well done. This is the first roll bar in a c7 I am impressed by.
Katech_Zach (06-17-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 06:11 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

How difficult was was it to remove your washer stuff? And how much did it end up saving you weight wise?
Washer stuff was pretty easy, I did it while I was installing the DSC controller. You need to unscrew the rear half and the bottom section of the front left wheel liner and just drop it out from the bottom. Honestly, most of the weight savings was just the fluid though.

Originally Posted by Mordeth
I don't know the solution to the battery drain, other than every Vette I have ever owned suffers from it and I hate chasing electrical gremlins. And the more crap I rip out the more it seems to randomly drain. Probably doesn't help that my battery gets lighter and smaller every chance I get. Do you have anything else plugged into the car? In the OBDII port? For my caged C6Z I have the following:

1) Kill switch wired to alternator for safety reasons and solenoid to kill all juice to battery during rest. One switch does it all.
2) Hand held jump starter to get car started if I stupidly forget to hit kill switch when car is sitting

Battery has only one job in a race car, and that is to start the car. Racers don't care about reserve capacity. Only pulse hot cranking amps during starting delivered with the least amount of weight (means very little reserve capacity).

I'd install a kill switch to the alternator and a solenoid. I have no interest in chasing random drains on a battery with the car shut off. Shut car off, flip switch. Done. Flip switch before start, starts every time. Never an issue.
Yeah, that's on the list now but it's also one more thing to remember to do. Also, it means the fan won't run when you come off track unless you leave the battery hooked up for a while.

Originally Posted by bbbvettes.com
Was your roll cage a 1 off Sean, or does that company now have the ability to replicate the identical cage, and have them for sale?

Katech Jason, I like the carbon thin roof, well done. This is the first roll bar in a c7 I am impressed by.
It was the first C7 they'd done but they have done a lot of other cages including being one of the first to properly cage the aluminum frame C6Z. They know how to do it now although I get the impression it wasn't their favorite job. I know Katech also does cages for the C7 and Jason was a big help with some pictures of theirs and the roof skin. I wanted someone local though so it was easier to run over for test fitting in the car.
bbbvettes.com (06-16-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 12:28 PM
0bbbvettes.com
Former Vendor

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts

Sean, do you have any photos of under the driver's dash IF the cage has a bar that goes across under as it does on the passenger side glove box area?

All in all, what did the cage weigh?

Also guys, be careful with the onstar fuse pull... I forget the technicalities, but the car has 2 important modules that need to communicate back and forth, and the onstar module is between those 2.

I have ran my car with the fuse pulled with no issue, but you guys are pushing the limits further than I am, so you might want to double check how all of that works just to be sure.

Also, I have heard some parts of the onstar system have a backup fuse somewhere. I never pulled it, instead, I pulled the antenna chip. The reason I wanted onstar disabled is different than the reason you guys are going for, so you may need to locate that second fuse. I heard this from a reliable source, but never dug into it, so I am not positive on the backup fuse's existence or how it works. Keep in mind, if there is a backup fuse, it may have importance on keeping the connection between the 3 modules happy.

Last edited by bbbvettes.com; 06-17-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To [BUILD] My Ultimate C7 Track Car - The C7 GS.R

Old 06-18-2019, 10:37 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, the bar goes all the way across but as I recall it has some bends in it. I don't have any pics though and it's now covered by the padded piece that protects your knees. Overall it probably weighed about 150 lbs. The car gained 80 lbs but we also removed the door panels, windoes, regulators, and center console.

I think I found the issue with the electrical drain. I pulled the following fuses and the battery is holding steady.

Front

F14 - Heat seat
F21 - glove box door
F31 - heat seat r_c
F86 - washer pump

Rear

1 - Window
2 -Drvr power seat
12 - Pass power seat
27 - onstar
36 - pass window sw

Finally, a good time at VIR yesterday with Racing for ALS. There's still more time in the car but I managed multiple laps in the high 2:00 range. The car will definitely break 2 min if the driver can get his act together. Here's a vid of the last session of the day.

The following 6 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
badhabit_wb (06-19-2019), dcooper23 (09-09-2020), fatsport (06-19-2019), lobsterroboto (06-18-2019), RapidC84B (06-19-2019), VatorMan (02-11-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-19-2019, 12:21 AM
Newton06
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 166 Posts

Nice driving as usual Sean.I was instructing w/BMW just before you guys came in.I noticed you are now entering T10 mid-track. ARe you not bringing the car track right on purpose, or is the exit speed from T9 preventing you from doing so.It seems to not be affecting your exit, but it gives me the heebie-jeebies if I don't enter track right.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:06 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Newton06
Nice driving as usual Sean.I was instructing w/BMW just before you guys came in.I noticed you are now entering T10 mid-track. ARe you not bringing the car track right on purpose, or is the exit speed from T9 preventing you from doing so.It seems to not be affecting your exit, but it gives me the heebie-jeebies if I don't enter track right.
I'm trying to carry more speed through 9 and that it pushing the car left. If I don't fight the car back over to the right I also can slow less for 10. It took me until the last session to realize I was carrying enough speed that it didn't make sense to downshift for 10.
Newton06 (06-19-2019)

Quick Reply: [BUILD] My Ultimate C7 Track Car - The C7 GS.R