Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[BUILD] My Ultimate C7 Track Car - The C7 GS.R

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 08:00 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Poor-sha

Whoever they have packing things at Katech is *very* thorough. Both studs and nuts were wrapped neatly in foam, then with bubble wrap.
Rachel was very proud to hear that.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
The following 2 users liked this post by Katech_Zach:
Bigblue77 (12-31-2019), Function Racer (10-01-2021)
Old 02-20-2019, 09:50 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Wow I've really been slacking on updating this thread. Look for a more comprehensive update tomorrow but these works of art showed up 2 1/2 weeks ago and every free moment has been out in the garage getting the car back together. The control arms with the sphericals were super easy to install but I was snakebit but a bunch of other small issues getting everything else back together.

The following 3 users liked this post by Poor-sha:
Bigblue77 (12-31-2019), LagunaSecaZ06 (04-18-2019), RapidC84B (02-21-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:15 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Sean once you drive it a bit let me know what you think about the AMT bushings on the street. I put stainless bushings in my c3 many years ago and actually liked it better because it seemed smoother with no binding rubber.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:15 AM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Glad to see you're back in the saddle.
The following users liked this post:
Poor-sha (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 12:49 PM
Rexracer77
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Completely off subject, but what lift is that. I have a low ceiling in my garage, and would love to be able to put a lift in.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:26 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

So I finally have the car back together and driveable so its time for a long overdue update.

I decided to take advantage of everything being apart to do a couple other mods. You can't pull the parking brakes all together because the backing plate actually sits between the spindle and the hub assembly. However, I did trim all the excess backing plate material that might reflect heat at the rotors and removed the shoes, springs, and adjuster. Those components and the trimmed backing plate saved about 2.3 lbs of unsprung weight on each rear wheel. The actual electronic parking brake module is a beast at 7 lbs and removing that, along with lines, and the aforementioned unsprung components pulled about 15 lbs off the car. I could probably shave another 2-5 lbs if someone made a spacer to replace the backing plate and rotor hats without a drum but so far that doesn't exist (vendors hint hint...). I was a little worried about what effect pulling the parking brake might have but as it turns out you just get a light on the dash that shows the universal parking brake symbol and a wrench but no warning message or chime. Since I had the rear hubs out I also completed installing the ARP studs in the rear.

In addition to the AMT Motorpsort control arms with spherical bushings, I installed FE7 springs, Tractive RTx dampers with remote reservoir, and the Weapon-X rear toe links with the AMT blocks to remove the rear toe eccentric. The Weapon-X toe links were a good bit heavier than stock (2 lbs vs 1.3 lbs) but the surface on them made them much easier to adjust. I'm not super excited about the nut and cotter pin attachment without a washer on the spindle side of the mount but they seem to be working fine.

Here's a shot of the front FE7 and FE6 springs side by side. You'll notice that the adjuster feet are taller on the FE7 springs and the curve and thickness is different as well. This will come in to play later on ride height. I was surprised and how much the actual rubber mounting blocks compressed when you install the springs and I seriously thought for a minute that the brackets much be different for FE7 but they are the same and the rubber compresses.

The install was going really well and I have everything loosely bolted together very quickly. However, my first snag came installing the AP Racing Radi-Cal brake kit. Now I've installed this same kit on my 2015 Z06, 2017 Z07, 2019 ZR1, and returned the first two cars back to stock brakes before I sold them so I've had the brakes on and off a C7 six times now. However, I was tired and got in a rush and ended up cross-threading the hard line on the right rear wheel when installing the Spiegler stainless steel line. Fortunately, that line connects to another line over by the LR wheel and I was able to just replace the entire line. As a backup plan, I tool the buggered line up to TPC Racing and they were able to fix up the threads with a thread file. Double win!

Last edited by Poor-sha; 02-21-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:30 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Pics of modified parking brake drum? Had no issue removing it on the C5.

No rear UCA studs and camber block kit?

Why Weapon - X toe rods vs Granatelli that AMT sells? I have the Granatelli ones in the garage awaiting install.

I bet you can make a resistor to plug in the parking brake plug and make the MIL ago away if ever desired.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:34 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Here's my C5 racecar sans parking brake...

Old 02-21-2019, 08:36 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Oh and any issues installing the springs and getting the brackets lined up on the rubber pads? If I recall GM has a special spring compressor to flatten the spring for install?
Old 02-21-2019, 08:38 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Getting everything tightened back up took a bit of trial and error to find the right order so you could still get a torque wrench in.

Up front, I removed the heat shields from the spindle to aid in rotor cooling but decided to use firesleeve and a layer of aluminum foil tape to protect the steering and LCA rubber boots.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:40 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Did you remove all UCA washers front and rear?
Old 02-21-2019, 08:46 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Oh and any issues installing the springs and getting the brackets lined up on the rubber pads? If I recall GM has a special spring compressor to flatten the spring for install?
I actually bought the GM spring compressor tool on eBay. Worst part about that tool is that the tool itself is kind of heavy and awkward to get in to place by yourself.

Pics of modified parking brake drum? Had no issue removing it on the C5.

No rear UCA studs and camber block kit?

Why Weapon - X toe rods vs Granatelli that AMT sells? I have the Granatelli ones in the garage awaiting install.

I bet you can make a resistor to plug in the parking brake plug and make the MIL ago away if ever desired.

I didn't modify the brake drum, I just trimmed the backing plate like Essex says to do in their install instructions. I didn't do the UCA studs and camber kit on this car because it's just much easier to set the alignment with the eccentrics and I've not had them slip if you really tighten them down. Mike Levitas at TPC/DSC didn't like the fact that the Granatelli toe links actually change the pickup point between the toe link and the spindle. I consulted with him on options before picking the Weapon-X.

The warning light actually isn't that bad, especially considering it's a track only car. Here's a pic.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:48 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Did you remove all UCA washers front and rear?
Yes. I probably could put one back in as with the spherical bushings I was seeing over 3.5 deg of front camber with the eccentrics all the way out.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:56 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

I need to snap some pictures but figuring out where to mount the remote shock canisters was a bit of a trick. I tucked the rear canisters inside the rear of the rear fender liners and secured with zip ties. The front right is behind the wheel liner and above the oil lines going to the dry sump. The left front is below the wheel liner.

While I had the LF wheel liner out to look for mounting options I decided to remove the wash fluid reservoir and pump. The tank/pump was 3 pounds and the fluid in it was about 12 pounds. I do get a "low washer fluid" warning now when I start the car.

Tomorrow I'll talk about setting up the car but for now here are a couple finished corner shots.

Last edited by Poor-sha; 02-21-2019 at 08:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bbbvettes.com (06-16-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 08:57 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Are the FE7 springs F/R or F only?

Can you elaborate on how the Granatelli link is different? Appears one uses a tapered stud with a rod end and the other uses a sealed end. Both appear to have the link itself spaced similar distances from the spindle. Not saying you're wrong, but I had no idea there was anyone else making links other than Granatelli until just now.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:00 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Man those brakes and shocks look awesome. Many folks drill holes in the tub and mount reservoirs in the rear hatch area. Front go on inner fenders under hood or parallel to top of radiator. Lots of options. Are there adjusters on the reservoirs to where you need access or charge valves?
Old 02-21-2019, 09:02 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

FE7 front and rear. The Weapon-X toe links pictured above do have a different main rod appearance than the new ones. I'm not as smart as Mike but I believe the issue is that the Granatelli links move the place where the rod connects to the end link closer to the spindle. There was a definite difference in the toe curve when we measured it on my Z07 with the Granatelli links.

Get notified of new replies

To [BUILD] My Ultimate C7 Track Car - The C7 GS.R

Old 02-21-2019, 09:04 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Man those brakes and shocks look awesome. Many folks drill holes in the tub and mount reservoirs in the rear hatch area. Front go on inner fenders under hood or parallel to top of radiator. Lots of options. Are there adjusters on the reservoirs to where you need access or charge valves?
Thanks! The Motons on my C6Z were mounted as you describe but as I recall you can to run the lines, mount the canisters, then charge the shocks to get them inside the car. This is how we mounted the RTx shocks on my 2015 Z06 without issue. Since it's electronic you don't need to adjust anything on the shock itself, just plug the laptop in to the controller.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:18 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

One more quick update tonight. I decided to remove the small rubber deflectors that hang in front of the front tires. Based on the "Ask Tadge" response regarding the ZR1 aero these appear to reduce front downforce. Then I installed the jogsaw puzzle that is the Z07 "track only" brake ducts.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:53 AM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Sean ive been out of the loop for a while dealing with a new company my son started. I was shocked to read here your ZR1 was wrecked but more importantly seems your fine and in great spirits jumping back on the horse. Great idea building a GS track car. I read you may come up to visit Watkins Glen, if so please send me a PM a few weeks ahead I will try to make it. We run Trackmasters, bring Bill with ya. I am also interested as others are on the AMT control arm feel on the street if anyone can understand the diff you surly can!

What happen with the ZRI is there a link about it?

Quick Reply: [BUILD] My Ultimate C7 Track Car - The C7 GS.R