Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[BUILD] My Ultimate C7 Track Car - The C7 GS.R

Old 02-27-2019, 09:31 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
I really like camber plates, initial setup is difficult, but after that things stay put unless you change it
There are merits to both for sure. I prefer plates as well. When I raced a C5 on Hoosiers the stock eccentrics would move if you really nailed the curbs like the esses at VIR. But anything less than extreme driving on race tires and they're fine.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 02-27-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:36 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
There are merits to both for sure. I prefer plates as well. When I raced a C5 on Hoosiers the stock eccentrics would move if you really nailed the curbs like the esses at VIR. But anything less than extreme driving on race tires and they're fine.
I'm not in disagreement with anyone. The camber plates ARE a pain in the ***, especially on the C7. I'm upfront about that with anyone who's considering putting them on their car. But in my opinion it's a necessary evil once you're going fast with sticky tires. I've sold them to guys, had them switch platforms, not buy them for the new car, and then come back and and buy them anyway once they find the stockers are slipping. I hope Sean has good luck with his and they don't move on him but if that's not the case then we'll be here to fix the situation!

https://amtmotorsport.com/collections/c7-corvette/products/c7-corvette-adjustable-camber-kit

Last edited by Mark@AMT Motorsport; 02-27-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:09 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I've found the C7 has nowhere to really push to settle the suspension. If you take a fender off the car you'll see 5-6" of just air space under neath due to how it slopes to make room for the headlight. You're pushing down on plastic composite and you can see it flex. C5 you could push on the harder fiberglass inner fender with the hood up. Rear is similar... I usually pop the hatch and push on the trunk tub vs. any of the body panels.
On previous cars I could do it from underneath. Put your back on the front or rear cross-member and lift the car. However, this car is just so stiff it doesn't move. I also tried bouncing up and down on the door sill but with the shocks on full still it doesn't budge.

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
I'm not in disagreement with anyone. The camber plates ARE a pain in the ***, especially on the C7. I'm upfront about that with anyone who's considering putting them on their car. But in my opinion it's a necessary evil once you're going fast with sticky tires. I've sold them to guys, had them switch platforms, not buy them for the new car, and then come back and and buy them anyway once they find the stockers are slipping. I hope Sean has good luck with his and they don't move on him but if that's not the case then we'll be here to fix the situation!

https://amtmotorsport.com/collection...ble-camber-kit
No doubt AMT makes good stuff and I did a pretty elaborate write-up on installing them on my 2017 Z07 where they worked well. However, I've not had the eccentrics slip on the two other heavily tracked C7s I had without them either. Other than setup time, my only concern with the camber plates is that you have to shim the front leg of the rear upper control arm to get the desired rear caster and I'm not convinced that is the right thing for the suspension geometry. If my eccentrics start slipping on this car I'll be ordering another set from Mark.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:15 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Great idea on using the door sill.... jogged my memory that I used to do that on my C5. Would stand on it and move up and down to really settle the chassis.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:16 PM
nch209
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Great updates and great build.

Nothing much to offer, but this whole thing has me wondering what I am doing... I have been trying to find some time to drop by Summit---- its a whopping 10 min from me---- and just can't find the time between too much work, kids, and house stuff. You are awesome, indeed! Building a brand new car and killing it---- awesome! Drive safe and keep up the good work!!!
The following users liked this post:
Poor-sha (02-27-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 09:47 AM
GoatHead
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Poor-Sha:
What was your solution for the throttle lag?
What was your wheels choice - brand/size?

Thanks,
Old 03-01-2019, 10:59 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GoatHead
Poor-Sha:

Thanks,
I've been tracking C7s for over 4 years and have never had an issue with throttle lag, perhaps I'm just used it. When Katech puts the motor in they will have to tune it which means I'm sure the throttle feel will change and I'll have to adapt.

As far as wheels go I have several sets but the most recent set I bought were Forgeline GS1R 18x11 and 18x12. I bought them from Gerry at CW4L and highly recommend him for great price and excellent customer service.
GoatHead (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 11:48 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

I'll chime in and add that I've never felt any throttle lag in my C7 in any drive modes. Supposedly Sport/Track have more throttle response vs. Tour/eco/wet, but I can't say I've felt it. On track it performs same as all my other C5s did.
GoatHead (03-01-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 11:15 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

I'll add that I have never felt any throttle lag either. On the street nor on the track or autocross course.

Bill
Old 03-05-2019, 08:45 AM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 364 Likes on 256 Posts

No throttle lag here either I was always wondering what guys were talking about. Every throttle is a bit different no mater the car or truck. I actually like the Z06's.

I have experienced a high pucker factor circumstance with a rear lower eccentric slipping years ago. It scared the hell out of me, happened at about 120 coming up thru the essess at Watkins glen. I caught the left rumble on exit and it threw the rear out to the right on a left hander at almost WOT! Happened one other time and they was enough. Thanks AMT I feel safe now and so do our customers. I think we have 2 sets to be installed this spring.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:50 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by GoatHead
Poor-Sha:

Thanks,
Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I've been tracking C7s for over 4 years and have never had an issue with throttle lag, perhaps I'm just used it. When Katech puts the motor in they will have to tune it which means I'm sure the throttle feel will change and I'll have to adapt.

As far as wheels go I have several sets but the most recent set I bought were Forgeline GS1R 18x11 and 18x12. I bought them from Gerry at CW4L and highly recommend him for great price and excellent customer service.
I'll chime in and add that I've never felt any throttle lag in my C7 in any drive modes. Supposedly Sport/Track have more throttle response vs. Tour/eco/wet, but I can't say I've felt it. On track it performs same as all my other C5s did.
Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I'll add that I have never felt any throttle lag either. On the street nor on the track or autocross course.

Bill
Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24
No throttle lag here either I was always wondering what guys were talking about. Every throttle is a bit different no mater the car or truck. I actually like the Z06's.

I have experienced a high pucker factor circumstance with a rear lower eccentric slipping years ago. It scared the hell out of me, happened at about 120 coming up thru the essess at Watkins glen. I caught the left rumble on exit and it threw the rear out to the right on a left hander at almost WOT! Happened one other time and they was enough. Thanks AMT I feel safe now and so do our customers. I think we have 2 sets to be installed this spring.
There is only 1 instance I often feel throttle lag and it's like a whole second every time. If I sit in the pit lane long, waiting to enter track, seems to only happen in track mode. when it's my turn to go 25-50% throttle to enter track, the car has a 1 second delay at that first throttle. After that it's golden.

It's such an odd thing but happens often. It makes me expect the throttle, move my neck and then it hits . It's like riding passenger hahaha.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:38 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
There is only 1 instance I often feel throttle lag and it's like a whole second every time. If I sit in the pit lane long, waiting to enter track, seems to only happen in track mode. when it's my turn to go 25-50% throttle to enter track, the car has a 1 second delay at that first throttle. After that it's golden.

It's such an odd thing but happens often. It makes me expect the throttle, move my neck and then it hits . It's like riding passenger hahaha.
The throttle "lag" is quite noticeable to me, but only on driving on street. At the track it's pretty instantaneous since you're basically living in the upper 50% of the throttle plate movement at nearly all times.

It's also noticeable because my "other" car has a high revving, 8.000 RPM redline, 6 individual electronically controlled throttle bodies, one for each cylinder that sits behind the intake manifold, crazy high compression engine. When you THINK about moving the gas pedal and the car takes off like a "bat out of hell" all the time, in all 6 forward gears, you tend to notice that tiny little lag in throttle plate movement in the first 25-30% of pedal movement on the Corvette.You get used to it, and you don't notice it after a while, but every time I switch cars I go "oh, there it is."

Also doesn't help that I drive a car that consumes electrons as means of propulsion daily. The instantaneous torque delivery to throttle movement (single forward gear, mind you) compared to ANY car requiring internal combustion of fuel to provide forward thrust is quite exaggerated. The C7's throttle response is actually a lot like my wife's turbo diesel. Nothing really happens when you first tip in on the throttle, but boy howdy, when it kicks down and/or spools up and unleashes all 420 ft-lbs of torque, watch the f**k out.

Although the turbo diesel is the opposite, that on track the throttle delay is far more evident than it is driving sedately on the street. I remember driving it at Laguna Seca, coming into turn 3, line up my entry, progressively floor it just before the apex...And got NOTHING until I'm about half way down the straight between turn 3 and 4. With the diesel you can't get off boost going into the braking zone, or else you spend eternity trying to build it back up. Still haven't found a good way to drive her turbo diesel on track yet.

It was nice to drive up to Laguna Seca, do 2 day's work on track, and then drive back only having to fill up once.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:51 PM
BradT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Subscribed! Still have the pallet of slicks? I finally got a set after you cleaned out all of the used ones with one purchase. :-) What happened to wreck the ZR1?

Last edited by BradT; 03-05-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:19 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Great thread.

I saw you are using 18 inch wheels all around. Are there any streetable tires in 18 inch sizes that work well for our cars (I have a C7 grand sport)? I’m thinking about making sure the diameter works for the ABS system, etc. Still running the stock sizes on my car.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:23 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Great thread.

I saw you are using 18 inch wheels all around. Are there any streetable tires in 18 inch sizes that work well for our cars (I have a C7 grand sport)? I’m thinking about making sure the diameter works for the ABS system, etc. Still running the stock sizes on my car.
Why not keep the stock wheels with some less pricy Continentals or all seasons and get the 18s for track? That's what many do.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:32 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 331 Posts

Looks like it will no longer be a street car once he puts a cage in it.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:09 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Great thread.

I'm running the stock wheels with street tires at the moment. I also have a said of Hoosier R7s mounted up in stock sizes on another set of stock wheel. My primary track wheels and tires though will be the 18's. Changing wheels is way easier than changing tires.

Get notified of new replies

To [BUILD] My Ultimate C7 Track Car - The C7 GS.R

Old 03-08-2019, 06:47 AM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I'm running the stock wheels with street tires at the moment. I also have a said of Hoosier R7s mounted up in stock sizes on another set of stock wheel. My primary track wheels and tires though will be the 18's. Changing wheels is way easier than changing tires.
Understood, but my question is if I do not want to run 18 inch slicks, what DOT legal track tires work on 18 inch wheels for our cars?

Thanks so much.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:09 AM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 331 Posts

Default Tires

Hoosiers, 888, or any other tire you like. 18 is the most common size.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:46 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Understood, but my question is if I do not want to run 18 inch slicks, what DOT legal track tires work on 18 inch wheels for our cars?

Thanks so much.
Nt01 and r888r are the go to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [BUILD] My Ultimate C7 Track Car - The C7 GS.R