Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road racing clutch setup to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 06:06 AM
conradb
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Road racing clutch setup to buy?

I have Tick's LS7 full kit on my car. I recently went full race car with my C5 Z06 and did a cam and exhaust upgrade on the engine. I figure I'm around 460HP at the crank or so. This past track weekend at Buttonwillow Raceway in CA, I had a clutch failure out on track. I hear squealing, and gears almost won't engage at all while it's on (gears engage fine while off). I have to release the clutch pedal almost completely before I get any bite at all when I did manage to get it into first to load on my trailer. I still have to take the thing apart, but I figure it's either a throwout bearing, slave cyl, or maybe I broke the disc somehow.

Regardless, what sort of economical, but race-ready, clutch setup should I get? Thanks!

Last edited by conradb; 02-05-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:19 AM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by conradb
I have Tick's LS7 full kit on my car. I recently went full race car with my C5 Z06 and did a cam and exhaust upgrade on the engine. I figure I'm around 460HP at the crank or so. This past track weekend at Buttonwillow Raceway in CA, I had a clutch failure out on track. I hear squealing, and gears almost won't engage at all while it's on (gears engage fine while off). I have to release the clutch pedal almost completely before I get any bite at all when I did manage to get it into first to load on my trailer. I still have to take the thing apart, but I figure it's either a throwout bearing, slave cyl, or maybe I broke the disc somehow.

Regardless, what sort of economical, but race-ready, clutch setup should I get? Thanks!
Quartermaster is the way to go for a racecar.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:18 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

If you're only about half race-car I'd still go with a twin disk clutch of your preferred flavor. Monster's twin disk is somewhat economical, there's a lot of personal preference in clutch setups especially when you move down the food chain to the "less" expensive options.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:43 AM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Another vote for Quartermaster.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:40 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

QuarterMaster
Old 02-05-2019, 11:49 AM
0TickPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shoot me an e-mail at nathan@tick-performance.com or give me a call at 336.719.0599 and I can get you setup with the correct clutch. We have several Corvette customers road racing their cars with good success with a Monster twin disc. Give me a shout and I can set you up!
Old 02-05-2019, 11:52 AM
BOTTLE FEDvette
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

https://www.quartermasterusa.com/pro...clutch-kit-8-5

this looks Iike a nice unit. I’ve been running a McLeod RXT and it’s been fine for the last 4 years. I think I’m going to try this for ***** and grins.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:46 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

There isn't really any such thing as race ready and economical. I do agree with the others that recommended Quarter Master for a race ready clutch.

I laugh when people recommend your typical twin disc clutches that weigh 40-60 pounds for road race applications. They've obviously never driven a track car with a proper light weight clutch setup. There are certainly trade offs associated with a QM, but the benefits far outweigh them IMO.

A 7.25 or the new 8.5 twins with QM's Tri Lite slave assembly are the cream of the crop when it comes to a road race clutch. I would reach out to Danny Popp regarding purchasing one as he moves more QM clutches than anybody and can get you dialed in. If you want to PM me I can give you his email so it's not posted for all the spammers to see.

-Rich
Old 02-05-2019, 02:02 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jehia0l7cy...er-C5.pdf?dl=0

5.5" Pro, if you want to see what you are getting into. The 7" ralley clutch is very popular are maybe more durable, but I like the little 3 disc. I've been running them for 20 years
The following users liked this post:
96solo (04-01-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 03:14 PM
conradb
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
There isn't really any such thing as race ready and economical. I do agree with the others that recommended Quarter Master for a race ready clutch.

I laugh when people recommend your typical twin disc clutches that weigh 40-60 pounds for road race applications. They've obviously never driven a track car with a proper light weight clutch setup. There are certainly trade offs associated with a QM, but the benefits far outweigh them IMO.

A 7.25 or the new 8.5 twins with QM's Tri Lite slave assembly are the cream of the crop when it comes to a road race clutch. I would reach out to Danny Popp regarding purchasing one as he moves more QM clutches than anybody and can get you dialed in. If you want to PM me I can give you his email so it's not posted for all the spammers to see.

-Rich
I appreciate the input. The QM clutch looks awesome. I just meant I wasn't looking to drop $5k on a clutch setup on something exotic. The $1-2k range seems pretty good. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2019, 03:30 PM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,190 Posts

If you feel like being a guinea pig, look at RAM. They have a small LS twin/tripple disc for half that of a QM.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:05 PM
mfain
Drifting

Received 873 Likes on 391 Posts

I went with a Tilton triple disk, carbon-carbon set-up. Race car.
Pappy

Old 02-05-2019, 07:57 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I appreciate the input. The QM clutch looks awesome. I just meant I wasn't looking to drop $5k on a clutch setup on something exotic. The $1-2k range seems pretty good. Thanks!
I think a properly spec'd QM with the Tri Lite and all the goodies is around $2,400 ish from Danny
Old 02-08-2019, 02:09 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The McLeod that was in our project car was letting go on the dyno at 720lb-ft, so while we have the engine out for upgrades we are installing an OS Giken triple disk. Have used OS Giken in some of our other cars and been very happy with the results.

Last edited by RX7 KLR; 02-08-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:57 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mfain
I went with a Tilton triple disk, carbon-carbon set-up. Race car.
Pappy

That's a great clutch, I've been running the same one on my C6Z track car since roughly 2013! I'm using an aluminum flywheel and it makes for a super light weight set up. If memory serves me right I believe the clutch and flywheel together weigh in around 9-10lbs total!

Last edited by Werks; 02-08-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:52 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

QM started making C5/C6 specific setups 20 years ago, Tilton had nothing available then. I've stuck with QM because they have been reliable and they were first to give us a solution. Tilton is also a great company, just weren't available when we needed them in the early rear-transaxle days.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:05 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,071 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06

-Rich
What do you feel are the most noticeable differences and benefits? What are the trade offs?
The following users liked this post:
JBzoom (05-04-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Road racing clutch setup to buy?

Old 02-08-2019, 08:49 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,071 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty2919
If you feel like being a guinea pig, look at RAM. They have a small LS twin/tripple disc for half that of a QM.
Funny you mention that. I literally just reached out to the original owner of my car, Mike Ellis, and asked him what he had used. For some reason I believed it was a Mantic Twin. It's not. It's a RAM Twin and it's never given me a problem and holds the latest build without issue 617 rwhp/551 rwtq. Mike won many a NASA TT in the car using that clutch. He installed it when the car was still stock power. It's never given me any issues, motor spins up quick and holds the power no problem.

I am not sure what else a clutch is supposed to do? I will definitely use a QM when it comes time to replace this one if that's the best choice but just wanted to know what I am in for. What's going to be better or different?
Old 02-08-2019, 11:28 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a QM too and am very happy with it. If you are going to get one, make sure you order through Danny and not directly from QM. I did (not knowing any better) and ended up having to custom fab clutch lines to make it work. Danny's kit comes ready to install.

Maybe QM has a bolt on kit ready now but they didn't when I ordered. Check first before ordering.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:28 AM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
Funny you mention that. I literally just reached out to the original owner of my car, Mike Ellis, and asked him what he had used. For some reason I believed it was a Mantic Twin. It's not. It's a RAM Twin and it's never given me a problem and holds the latest build without issue 617 rwhp/551 rwtq. Mike won many a NASA TT in the car using that clutch. He installed it when the car was still stock power. It's never given me any issues, motor spins up quick and holds the power no problem.

I am not sure what else a clutch is supposed to do? I will definitely use a QM when it comes time to replace this one if that's the best choice but just wanted to know what I am in for. What's going to be better or different?
Thant's good to know thanks.

A friend and I were at PRI and happen to notice the RAM unit. He is building a Factory Five Daytona with a LS for autocross/road racing. For the price it may be worth trying it. I think he totaled everything up and it was around $1000 if I remember correctly.

Last edited by smitty2919; 02-09-2019 at 08:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Road racing clutch setup to buy?