Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Race Wing Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 06:05 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,071 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
holy crap, how thick are those uprights?
Thick enough I guess. Hasn't laid over sideways or flown off yet!!

Old 02-11-2019, 07:14 PM
6SPEEDZ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt,
I gotta tell you I’m offended you didn’t contact me first before buying anything. I could have steered you to a competitive car.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:26 PM
Dropspeed
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 6SPEEDZ
Matt,
I gotta tell you I’m offended you didn’t contact me first before buying anything. I could have steered you to a competitive car.
Not sure who this is (Greg??). But if you know me you know I fumble along my way . Don’t want a new car...like to continue messing with the current one.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:28 PM
Dropspeed
Instructor

Originally Posted by C6psi

I retained my extended ZR-1 spoiler just because the rear fascia had multiple holes in it and I wasn't ready to replace the fascia at the time. I found that adding braces to support the uprights from horizontal movement was a must for the LG wing if you oversize the slots in the fascia.
I am in the same boat. Extended ZR1 spoiler and don’t really want to purchased a new rear fascia at this time.

If you get a chance, would you mind posting some more pictures of the back or the car and shots of the cut ZR1 spoiler.

Thanks to all for the pictures and responses!

Last edited by Dropspeed; 02-11-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:04 PM
6SPEEDZ
Instructor

Yes Matt it’s Greg. I wasn’t suggesting you buy a new car. Just proper aero planning as to not waste time and money. I’ve seen time and time again a bunch of aero put on and not work to near its potential.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:56 AM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

Yes Matt it’s Greg. I wasn’t suggesting you buy a new car. Just proper aero planning as to not waste time and money. I’ve seen time and time again a bunch of aero put on and not work to near its potential.
why not post in here for all of us to learn?
The following 3 users liked this post by STANG KILLA SS:
BigMonkey73 (02-12-2019), c5golfguy (02-13-2019), D K (02-13-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 03:19 PM
jimtway
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

We use one piece aluminum mounts bolted through the frame. Minor notching required to the tub and bumper cover. Works on both C5 & C6.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:00 PM
C6psi
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I currently have the car in a hundred pieces, chasing some additional weight reduction, but have these of the rear fascia unmounted. As you can see the fascia cuts very nicely but the carbon fiber spoiler wants to chip. I cut the fascia to fit first and then worked on the spoiler slowly increasing the width and length as needed for a tight fit. Lots of time but the end result I was happy with.

Last edited by C6psi; 02-12-2019 at 09:06 PM. Reason: More info
Old 02-13-2019, 08:18 PM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Only problem with that design is if you're in a w2w situation and get rear ended, your race is over.

I'm gonna weld mounts to my rollcage and have the uprights angled back.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:03 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

What kind of coil springs y’all using with those set ups.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:16 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,071 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by D K

I'm gonna weld mounts to my rollcage and have the uprights angled back.
Great idea and have seen it done very effectively but as it happens it wasn't a Corvette but a Porsche 928 setup for an LS conversion.

What racing car do you have and whose aero have you chosen to use for it?

I have decided to use Chris Faircloth for my revised aero. I do happen to really like the cage mounted idea for the Wing uprights.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:42 PM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Initially the car will just be a spec corvette car but since I have a bunch of LS stuff laying around, I plan on racing in different classes in STx, etc.
i have a couple of APR wings and Im also toying around with the idea of building my own using the 1223 profile.

Faircloth stuff is real good. I plan on using his ducts for the splitter and a few other stuff.

I used to work on airplanes in the Navy and I see how older airplnes were built. You dont need the hyper fancy dry carbon to build a wing. Ypu could build it out of chicken wire and canvas to make a wing work. Im building mine out of balsa wood, foam and carbon fiber.

But either way, I want it mounted not on the bumper where it could get damaged from a light touch.
Thats a no no.

The nice thing about mounting to the rear legs of a roll cage is that you might be able to get away with a straight 90?

we shall see.

Originally Posted by Racingswh
Great idea and have seen it done very effectively but as it happens it wasn't a Corvette but a Porsche 928 setup for an LS conversion.

What racing car do you have and whose aero have you chosen to use for it?

I have decided to use Chris Faircloth for my revised aero. I do happen to really like the cage mounted idea for the Wing uprights.

Last edited by D K; 02-13-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:58 PM
6SPEEDZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS
why not post in here for all of us to learn?
I am not here to give away all my knowledge. I give a bit from time to time and there is stuff I can’t talk about due to contracts. I worked in professional racing for a number of years. I was part of a number of manufacturers and drivers championships. If you would like me to work on your car I can build you a national championship competitive car. I called out Matt cause I like to work with people I know and he has seen how effective I can be.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:55 AM
Dropspeed
Instructor

I am not here to give away all my knowledge. I give a bit from time to time and there is stuff I can’t talk about due to contracts. I worked in professional racing for a number of years. I was part of a number of manufacturers and drivers championships. If you would like me to work on your car I can build you a national championship competitive car. I called out Matt cause I like to work with people I know and he has seen how effective I can be.
I can attest that Greg has an very impressive resume.

I didn't mean to offend at all. I didn't want to bother you with loads of questions ... I did reach out to KS, but he wasn't selling his splitter just yet. I will reach out to you soon, thank you.

Thank you to the rest of you for all the for all the pictures and responses.

-Matt

Quick Reply: C6 Race Wing Install Question