Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 vs. C7 - equal horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 02:49 PM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns
A little late to this thread and it looks like you made a decision, but for another data point my stock 2009 ZR1 on stock chrome rims and Cup 1 tires was able to turn a 2:02 at VIR full. That is on par with the stock C7 Z06 on Cup 2 times I have seen on the board. The Cup 2 tires should be faster than the Cup1s.
thank you.
Never too late, but yes Im pretty much sold on the idea of a super light weight C6Z.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:41 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 213 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C7 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
My C5 with cage and no fancy carbon body work (OEM or fiberglass aftermarket). was a tick over 2800 lbs. Granted that was with a trans cooler only (no diff cooler). I'm confident I could get a C7 under 2900 with cage. There is so much low hanging fruit that nobody who's gutted one has taken full advantage of. I'm not to that point with mine yet.

Mine is gutted & caged. There are a few things I am planning on removing when i get time/money etc

The AC is coming out but ill do that when I put headers in (which that by itself will be a few pounds since I still have my primary cats)

a lot of the wiring that is or seems necessary and is bundled in with wiring that isnt. If I wasn't planning on motec i would take the time to separate and remove the wiring that isnt needed.

The car is currently 3195 with slightly less than half a tank. I keep pulling stuff out almost every weekend. my goal is to have a race weight of 3300#

If I could figure out a way to keep everything tidy I would pull out the dash entirely.

I'm excited to see how much weight ill save with the polycarbonate windows I ordered for the sides and rear.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:26 PM
D K
Pro

Thats the problem with canbus cars.
If you can disable all the extras, you can take them out. Otherwise, theyll start throwing codes
Old 02-25-2019, 10:02 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,151 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Originally Posted by lobsterroboto
Mine is gutted...
Respectfully our definitions of gutted are different You should be able to get the car to sub 2900. C7 has more content than a C5 (coolers, dry sump, brakes) but the frame is 90 lbs lighter to start.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:44 AM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Respectfully our definitions of gutted are different You should be able to get the car to sub 2900. C7 has more content than a C5 (coolers, dry sump, brakes) but the frame is 90 lbs lighter to start.
lol yah, there's a hefty amount of wiring in the car that would come out eventually which is probably (completely guessing) 50lbs worth. The windows will save me some further weight, the AC/condenser, heater core and really the rest of the dash but that needs to stay in to keep all the miles of wiring and gadgetry from flailing about.

With the MOTEC I imagine i can get the car sub 3000.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:52 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,151 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Originally Posted by lobsterroboto
lol yah, there's a hefty amount of wiring in the car that would come out eventually which is probably (completely guessing) 50lbs worth. The windows will save me some further weight, the AC/condenser, heater core and really the rest of the dash but that needs to stay in to keep all the miles of wiring and gadgetry from flailing about.

With the MOTEC I imagine i can get the car sub 3000.
You haven't even touched any of the easy stuff... I wouldn't ever re-wire the car no need. Super $$$ and a big headache.

1. Ditch all the door glass, cut out thee door beam.

2. Trim off the weather strip and trim from the a-pillars, side of roof panel, quarter glass.

3. Replace quarter glass and rear with lexan.

4. Ditch the AC and heater core.

5. Pull dash, remove everything not needed.

That's just a start... you'd be shocked how little trim and brackets and clips and crap that seems like nothing adds up. Suddenly you've taken that last 40-50 lbs out of the car.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:56 AM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

You haven't even touched any of the easy stuff... I wouldn't ever re-wire the car no need. Super $$$ and a big headache.

1. Ditch all the door glass, cut out thee door beam.

2. Trim off the weather strip and trim from the a-pillars, side of roof panel, quarter glass.

3. Replace quarter glass and rear with lexan.

4. Ditch the AC and heater core.

5. Pull dash, remove everything not needed.

That's just a start... you'd be shocked how little trim and brackets and clips and crap that seems like nothing adds up. Suddenly you've taken that last 40-50 lbs out of the car.

1 = done

2 = done

3 = ordered the lexan windows already

4 = pulling the AC is on the list, it's just expensive to tackle it as a stand alone job, (dollars to weight)

5 = The amount of ridiculous electronics behind the dash is insane. If the Display/head unit can come out with making the car lose its mind then ill go ahead and get the rest of the dash.

There is still some stuff laying around I can get to, just time/money really. Like the onstar module is still in the car and I'm just being lazy about removing it.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:15 PM
D K
Pro

I would leave the electronics and trim pieces for last.

The amount of effort needed to lose that last 50lbs is insane.

I would do like stated above...
heavy stuff - glass, doors, seats, wheels, ac first. Then exhaust.
If I had a Z06, I would immediately switch out the blower to a centri with air2air ic.

Quick Reply: C6 vs. C7 - equal horsepower