Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not again... What tire for street/track c5 Zo6

Old 02-24-2019, 09:09 AM
kdm123
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Actually I might be wrong about that. The sidewall should be higher since the Federals RS-Rs are lower at 285/30/18s, but they may still fit.
I tried 285/35/18 Federal RS-RR (not RS-R) and they did not fit my car.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:42 PM
Doski
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They dont make federals rs-rr in 285 35 18 only 275 35 18. I have the c5 z06 and they fit no problem.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:21 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

You need to remember the guy who bought some wheels from you one day sat in your kitchen, and then who you bumped into @ Thunderhill.... and I was on 200tw that day. And I carry tires, not every brand but most of them.

Video below is relevant.... it's on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, 500 TW. And my are ZP's. Note the G-data. Here's why I would recommend those. I have them for less than the price you want to pay. Here's more reasoning. Killer in the wet and you have had plenty of that this year, haven't you? Also when it gets chilly, the grip won't leave you and while I know you live in CA, I also know where in CA you live and summer tires aren't so sticky below 45-50 degrees.

814-849-3450

More options than any other single company out there. More parts than any other single company I know: Brakes to Safety, Wheels to Exhaust. Suspension to Air Filters: Girodisc, Hawk, Raybestos, Essex Racing/AP, Ferodo, Wilwood, Penske, Koni, Borg Motorsport, Ridetech, Viking, After Dark Speed, Hotchkis, Bilstein, KW, Forgestar, BC Forged, Forgeline, MRR Wheels and on, and on, and on it goes.

Last edited by strano@stranoparts.com; 02-26-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:06 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by kdm123
I don't really see that need for anyone to run anything but cheap-assed Federals if they are not yet to the point of their driving ability were they are chasing a 1/2 second of lap time. Why spend $1200 or whatever on a tire that might be 1 or 2 seconds faster when there are more seconds than that in your own driving ability. Better to spend less to get more seat time and improve your lap times that way.
See below in bold.

I've been running the Federal RS-R
They don't like any heat and will get progressively slower with every lap you do.
There is a difference between buying cheap tires and buying inexpensive tires. Plenty of "performance" options from actual brand names even bumping your budget up $50 or so a tire. $50 a tire is still less than one entry to most track days. Spending a considerable amount more of money on track time driving something that isn't going to perform consistently or predictably, putting even more to think about on a novice driver, is what I wouldn't understand. As far as street use, I guess I just don't see the point of owning a nice car and putting cheap tires on it. I've got those Federal 595RPM that the PO put on my car, and while I don't have a lot of driving time on them, they're rocks. They're still relatively new, and I am considering between just using them and selling them and buying something nicer. I would have preferred they left the old tires on it and cut the $500 off the price.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:30 AM
kdm123
Pro

[QUOTE=strano@stranoparts.com;1598953455]You need to remember the guy who bought some wheels from you one day sat in your kitchen, and then who you bumped into @ Thunderhill.... and I was on 200tw that day. And I carry tires, not every brand but most of them.

Video below is relevant.... it's on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, 500 TW. And my are ZP's. Note the G-data. Here's why I would recommend those. I have them for less than the price you want to pay. Here's more reasoning. Killer in the wet and you have had plenty of that this year, haven't you? Also when it gets chilly, the grip won't leave you and while I know you live in CA, I also know where in CA you live and summer tires aren't so sticky below 45-50 degrees.

Who is this meant for? If you're referring to me, I think you're confusing me with someone else. I've never been to Thunderhill.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:39 AM
kdm123
Pro

In my way of thinking about this, if you want to buy something better than a $500 set of Federals, why spend $1200--why not just spend the extra couple of bucks and buy a $1500 set of Hoosiers or a similar R-compound tire?

I run Federals 90% of the time. It is the only way to keep the costs down a bit in order to afford more seat time. Last year I ran about 20 track days with my car, as well as a few vintage races in other cars, and I'm not rich.

A few times a year I'll run Hoosiers, and yes, they are awesome, but they are an expensive and highly addictive drug.

Last edited by kdm123; 02-27-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:15 PM
Doski
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.nankangtyre.co.uk/produc...orsport/ns-2r/

The tires are 180tw. I paid about $800 for all four.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:57 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by Doski
https://www.nankangtyre.co.uk/produc...orsport/ns-2r/

The tires are 180tw. I paid about $800 for all four.
Not to be too cynical, but I'm not buying a tire whose company's marketing department holds them in this high regards: "The NS-2R is not the fastest tyre on the grid however it is one of the most consistent performers, a true endurance option"
Old 02-27-2019, 06:08 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

[QUOTE=kdm123;1598955350]
Originally Posted by strano@stranoparts.com
You need to remember the guy who bought some wheels from you one day sat in your kitchen, and then who you bumped into @ Thunderhill.... and I was on 200tw that day. And I carry tires, not every brand but most of them.

Who is this meant for? If you're referring to me, I think you're confusing me with someone else. I've never been to Thunderhill.
carcrazysammy. I am sure it is who I think it is.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:47 PM
carcrazysammy
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

[QUOTE=strano@stranoparts.com;1598958339]

carcrazysammy. I am sure it is who I think it is.
My mind is failing me. The only wheels I ever sold were for a 4th gen 4runner. I have been to Thunder Hill several times last year though. Great track! I was driving either a silver C7 Zo6 or a blue C5 Zo6. Hope to see you this year!
Old 02-27-2019, 07:51 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

I might be way, way off then. I bought some wheels from a Sam in Livermore, TSW Nurburgrings as I recall. He had a blue C5Z that he tracks. I know Mine's Road as my girlfriend lives in Saratoga and I have been that way a number of times. Anyway, my apologies, I guess just too small a world in some ways.

None the less, I still could help. And those Michelin's are quite well rounded for what you need them for, as you have track tires.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:39 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by strano@stranoparts.com
I might be way, way off then. I bought some wheels from a Sam in Livermore, TSW Nurburgrings as I recall. He had a blue C5Z that he tracks. I know Mine's Road as my girlfriend lives in Saratoga and I have been that way a number of times. Anyway, my apologies, I guess just too small a world in some ways.

None the less, I still could help. And those Michelin's are quite well rounded for what you need them for, as you have track tires.
Sam,
Regarding those Michelin's you posted about,.....If only to be used as a dry weather track day tire, how much better do you think they would be if you started with a set that was shaved? I often wonder if dealing with a street tread tire if shaving them wouldn't only make them more predictable as they get hot, but maybe allow them to last longer on the track. Any thoughts?
Old 02-28-2019, 01:42 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by TrackAire
Sam,
Regarding those Michelin's you posted about,.....If only to be used as a dry weather track day tire, how much better do you think they would be if you started with a set that was shaved? I often wonder if dealing with a street tread tire if shaving them wouldn't only make them more predictable as they get hot, but maybe allow them to last longer on the track. Any thoughts?
Okay so to be clear these aren't track tires. The reason you see them on my car for this event is because it's winter in Pennsylvania you can see the snow on the ground. In fact in the morning session there was actually black ice on the track. And I like to drive my car when the roads are not a blithering mess. Hence the reason for having an ultra-high-performance all-season. It allows me to get to events like that have a decent tire on the car and get home on a tire that doesn't turn plastic below 45 degrees.

while shaving them would certainly help there are better tires to do track work on. But I believe this thread was started asking about tires to drive to and from work on a fun road everyday. These tires do really well for that. and in this specific case even though I happen to live in Pennsylvania I spend a lot of time in that area of California and I know what the weather is like particularly in the winter. When things actually are green, and right now they're getting record levels of rain.

For a track tire there's a lot of different options. Do you want to go as fast as possible? Run a Hoosier. Do you want to be able to drive the events, while also driving to the event on the same tires? Then you may want to look into something more like the nt01 or the r888r. do you want a track day tire that meets the 200 treadwear requirement, but it's still the fastest thing you could run under that heading? Then you would want to BFGoodrich rival s or a Bridgestone re71r. Do you want a true Street tire that work phenomenally well but doesn't sacrifice the road going characteristics and will be way better in the rain, and you don't have to worry about the cold? Then you'd want to look at things like the pilot PS4s, or the Continental extremecontact sport.
The following users liked this post:
jefnvk (03-01-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not again... What tire for street/track c5 Zo6