Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > General Corvette Topics > Autocrossing & Roadracing
Reload this Page >

interested in joining a club for club track racing ... advice on where to start?

Notices
Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

interested in joining a club for club track racing ... advice on where to start?

Old 02-12-2019, 10:10 AM
JMG2
CF Senior Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by argonaut View Post
Some tracks do not require a roll bar for convertibles. Summit Point, Shenandoah Circuit doesn't (or at least they didn't in the recent past, I don't exactly keep up on the latest since my car has a cage). Some configurations of Pocono don't either. The reason in Shenandoah's case is the relatively low speeds. Pocono, not sure but suspect because its so open...not much to hit. When the track doesn't require it, then its left to the club hosting the event and I've been to a few events at both those tracks with vert's in attendance. But getting an instructor to sit right seat in a vert may be a problem. I've done it, once, instructed in a vert camaro at Pocono. Pocono is very flat and pretty hard to get into trouble and it didn't really bother me. I would absolutely refuse to get in the right seat of a vert at most tracks however. So if you are willing to drive south and do a little homework, you can probably find an opportunity to get your vert on track.
Thanks for all the info. I'm leaning towards just getting a c6 coupe after I do a track school event. At least for the time being, this is going to be strictly an HPDE/track day car... and I'll be tracking at limerock. I called them, spoke a few people that run 'verts -- Limerock requires a 4-point roll bar, must pass the broom-stick-test, and highly recommended weld in. one guy told me he had to put in different seats 'cause he was too tall. But at least from their perspective, for HPDE, a 4-point, properly installed roll bar is fine. They even gave me a few recommendations on places that do quality installs and are aware of limerock's requirements. He did also add that if going competitive, for anything timed, while limerock still only requires a 4-point, races/clubs often have stricter requirements.

Ahh, decisions, decisions. I'm not doing anything until I manage to get through a course, see how I feel about it all then.

Last edited by JMG2; 02-12-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:11 AM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by argonaut View Post
Some tracks do not require a roll bar for convertibles. Summit Point, Shenandoah Circuit doesn't (or at least they didn't in the recent past, I don't exactly keep up on the latest since my car has a cage). Some configurations of Pocono don't either. The reason in Shenandoah's case is the relatively low speeds. Pocono, not sure but suspect because its so open...not much to hit. When the track doesn't require it, then its left to the club hosting the event and I've been to a few events at both those tracks with vert's in attendance. But getting an instructor to sit right seat in a vert may be a problem. I've done it, once, instructed in a vert camaro at Pocono. Pocono is very flat and pretty hard to get into trouble and it didn't really bother me. I would absolutely refuse to get in the right seat of a vert at most tracks however. So if you are willing to drive south and do a little homework, you can probably find an opportunity to get your vert on track.
It depends on the run group and track. Some private rentals are very lax on tech. I only ever instruct/run with PCA and NASA where a rollbar is required.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:34 PM
JMG2
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder View Post
It depends on the run group and track. Some private rentals are very lax on tech. I only ever instruct/run with PCA and NASA where a rollbar is required.
Thanks. before I do anything, I'm going to get through a three day school, then figure it out. It may be that after that I want to jump into competition, in which case a coupe is the only way to go. but if I plan on messing around with HPDE/track noncomp stuff, options appear to be a little broader. But I agree with your original point-- if I stick with this, a coupe down the road is pretty much inevitable.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:42 PM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by JMG2 View Post
Thanks. before I do anything, I'm going to get through a three day school, then figure it out. It may be that after that I want to jump into competition, in which case a coupe is the only way to go. but if I plan on messing around with HPDE/track noncomp stuff, options appear to be a little broader. But I agree with your original point-- if I stick with this, a coupe down the road is pretty much inevitable.
As a NASA instructor I sort of feel like an ambassador for the hobby. The last thing I want is for you to not give it a try. That said, you can learn from our collective years of experience. If the bug bites you good you'll be shopping trucks and trailers next It's a silly amount of money to have tied up it what amounts to a few hours of laps a few weekends a year, but there's nothing like it to me. It's truly addicting and the people you meet and compete against are 75% of the fun.

If I weren't 6'3" requiring a custom-fit race seat to drive anything well, I'd probably rent a racecar 3-4 weekends a year. Also, some folks have automotive country clubs at their disposal and get on track way more than 5-6 weekends a year.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:54 PM
JMG2
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder View Post
As a NASA instructor I sort of feel like an ambassador for the hobby. The last thing I want is for you to not give it a try. That said, you can learn from our collective years of experience. If the bug bites you good you'll be shopping trucks and trailers next It's a silly amount of money to have tied up it what amounts to a few hours of laps a few weekends a year, but there's nothing like it to me. It's truly addicting and the people you meet and compete against are 75% of the fun.

If I weren't 6'3" requiring a custom-fit race seat to drive anything well, I'd probably rent a racecar 3-4 weekends a year. Also, some folks have automotive country clubs at their disposal and get on track way more than 5-6 weekends a year.
Thanks for the advice-- not my first toe-dipping into motor sports (I have well-over $100k into a offroad truck I bought originally for $500 that I take out maybe 2-3 times a year... which is actually in the middle of a ZZ6 swap:-) ).. so I know the money sink-hole these things very quickly become.

Plan to take this one easy, get track time before I start putting in roll bars or buying c6's. But nothing wrong with doing research along the way :-)

Last edited by JMG2; 02-12-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:05 PM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by JMG2 View Post
Thanks for the advice-- not my first toe-dipping into motor sports (I have well-over $100k into a offroad truck I bought originally for $500 that I take out maybe 2-3 times a year... which is actually in the middle of a ZZ6 swap:-) ).. so I know the money sink-hole these things very quickly become.

Plan to take this one easy, get track time before I start putting in roll bars or buying c6's. But nothing wrong with doing research along the way :-)
Ahhh... so you're well versed in wasting large sums of money. You'll fit right in. What's the best way to make a small fortune racing cars? Start with a large one
Old 02-15-2019, 03:43 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,430 Posts

What passes a sanctioning body inspection Vs what works are two different things. Roll bars that fasten to the floor don't work, Roll Bars that fasten to the horizontal upright behind the seats don't work. The front down rods have to attach to the B Pillar or to the frame at the base of the B pillar. The B Pillar is designed to handle a vertical load and transfer it to the frame. Here are some pictures of two different ways of mounting the front of a bar plus a Custom Bar.

The problem with a roll bar is it doesn't really provide sufficient protection in a roll over. In a Roll Over the A pillar will most likely collapse which means the so called broom stick test suddenly goes through your neck Vs over the top of your head.

Bill
Old 03-08-2019, 10:51 AM
JMG2
CF Senior Member

thanks again for this. I spoke with head of the limkrock driver's school, for hpde/track events, they have no problem allowing 'verts with roll bars. I'll see what happens after I go to their school, may just do some events, if I get any more advanced it's c6 coupe time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: interested in joining a club for club track racing ... advice on where to start?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: