Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NCCC autox scrutineering intensity

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 08:31 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts
Default NCCC autox scrutineering intensity

So I disliked my seat in the C4 from the moment I got it. Its plasticky, feels cheap, and flops about. In addition to that, about four panels were ripped up, and the rest of the seat wasn't far behind. Recovering it was going to be expensive. In addition, the power base is pretty much done with, some of it is nonop, not that I care, because I dislike all power seats and don't like them in any of my cars.

I ordered a Corbeau A4 the other day, which is legal in both SCCA G1 and NCCC STU. Where I'm running into issues is the base. SCCA doesn't care beyond safe, NCCC says stock sliders. NCCC also says if a part is discontinued (all seat bases are), a similar aftermarket nonperformance part is allowed. Is anyone likely to care about using the Corbeau slider base with this seat? Seems safer, easier, and no lighter than trying to rig up junkyard sliders to work with the seat. I'm doing my best to follow both the letter and spirit of the rules.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:00 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Are you talking about NCCC autocross classes, in the ISF/G class you can use an aftermarket seat that will fold over (not a rigid racing seat). The rule states:

Stock or STOCK-TYPE, back breakable, upholstered seats mounted securely & safely on stock seat mounting tracks

So the sliders would have to be on the stock mount tracks but as long as it slides front to back I doubt anyone will notice, being securely mounted in the stock bolts from the floor is the real option I would look at..
Old 02-12-2019, 11:47 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Yeah, Autox 1F/G. The A4 is a reclining stock type fully upholstered seat. I don't think I have any issues there.

My options with a deadish power rack is either to repair/replace (couple hundred bucks, and my helmet is right up against the roof with that setup anyhow) and modify that to fit the new seat (don't really want to trust my metalworking on a critical safety component), find some manual stock rails on ebay/junkyard (~$90) and hand modify them to fit the new seat (same as power), or just buy the Corbeau mount ($110) which fits both the seat and the stock mounting holes as ordered and slides back and forth like stock. As the factory parts are discontinued and not available, the exact phrase I am trying to use for this is:

"Factory parts superseded WITHIN a Year Group allowed if supported by a factory Recall or Service Bulletin. Factory parts discontinued without a superceded replacement available may be replaced with a similar nonperformance aftermarket part. (01/12)"

If it were SCCA with these rules, I wouldn't give it a second thought, but as it is a car specific group, I'm just wondering if such stuff gets looked at more closely because they know the cars better.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:27 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

If your helmet is up against the roof now, good luck getting an aftermarket seat AND rails/sliders under there. I didnt have any room to spare in my C4 with a stock seat. I have my FX1 mounted with the bottom touching the floor and my helmet almost rubs still.

Last edited by Kubs; 02-12-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:15 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Kubs
If your helmet is up against the roof now, good luck getting an aftermarket seat AND rails/sliders under there. I didnt have any room to spare in my C4 with a stock seat. I have my FX1 mounted with the bottom touching the floor and my helmet almost rubs still.
Hmm, everything I read seemed to indicate A4 + manual tracks would get me an inch or two. Hard to see exactly, but I have about 1-1.5 finger widths between my helmet and the roof with the seat as low as it will go and my motorcycle helmet (I have an SA at work I intend to use that is a bit thicker).

Last edited by jefnvk; 02-12-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:52 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

My seat is a fixed back seat. Perhaps the A4 can get lower, but I dont know.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:57 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

On the stock sliders you will have enough room, if you go with the power seat you will sacrifice some height, however you can adjust the seat angle to acquire more area. In Detroit if you go to one of the local Detroit council events you will be in the TSSP class but at a NCCC (Corvette only) event you will run 1SF/G. .However you will be competing against Bob Hall in that class who has every NCCC option available done to his 96 LT4
Old 02-13-2019, 05:51 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Stock sliders on A4 should be enough room, and I don't see why it wouldnt be accepted since its not very different from the stock setup. Its just a pain in the *** to get all 4 nuts tightened to the floor.

Doing the conversion didn't really get me any more headroom however. The A4 seat is not raked. Its flat bottomed, while the stock seat is raked backwards so you slide back in the seat, but the distance to the floorboard is not really any different at the back of the seat. Its also less comfortable for me and I added spacers to the front bolts to make the seat have a rearwards rake.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:37 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

OK, thanks for the replies, they're enough I think I'm just going to do the Corbeau base. Still got enough to do on the car before April without adding a fab project too!

Originally Posted by Gordy M
However you will be competing against Bob Hall in that class who has every NCCC option available done to his 96 LT4
Good, I need some competition, I'd hate to just walk in and wipe the floor with everyone :P

(no, I'm not actually that cocky, I don't actually plan on being fast enough anyone would even want to scrutineer me)
Old 02-16-2019, 05:35 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I can't imagine a seat mount being considered a peformance enhancing part. I wouldn't worry as long as the seat is rule compliant.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:54 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

you can do whatever you want - until you start beating the top guys !
Old 02-17-2019, 09:08 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by blackozvet
you can do whatever you want - until you start beating the top guys !
Heh, I figured as much!

Old 02-18-2019, 09:54 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Unless you plan on chasing that silly jacket 46-48 weekends a year...... Don;t think anyone cares.. If they do, they are real "peaches"
Old 02-18-2019, 01:12 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight
Unless you plan on chasing that silly jacket 46-48 weekends a year...... Don;t think anyone cares.. If they do, they are real "peaches"
Regional clubs probably wont care, but you could get protested at a national level.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:17 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Kubs
Regional clubs probably wont care, but you could get protested at a national level.
If I'm spending the time and money to compete at the national level, I'm not doing it in G1!

At least, not this car, which has passed through a half dozen owners, has no documentation on anything that has been done, being someone who doesn't know what is and is not factory stock on said things (for all I know about Corvettes, this thing could have a hot cam, doubt it, but I wouldn't have the frame of reference to know). Also, I'd probably compete in SCCA, just for the considerable amount of extra competition and which the rules are a bit easier to follow not being car model specific.

Last edited by jefnvk; 02-18-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:16 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

For set up and alignment you might also consider trying to get with Danny Kellermeyer (DJRace) if you want the best set up available for the C4-5-6-7. If you go W2W at Waterford Hills, just try to stay out of his class (LOL)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:40 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gordy M
For set up and alignment you might also consider trying to get with Danny Kellermeyer (DJRace) if you want the best set up available for the C4-5-6-7. If you go W2W at Waterford Hills, just try to stay out of his class (LOL)
Nah, this isn't getting caged or doing anything past HPDE. If I decide to get into W2W, it'll be in something cheaper and better supported like a Miata or ITA Neon.

That comes when I have a bigger garage and bank account, though
Old 02-21-2019, 11:59 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

It is not about being caged it is about alignment, when Danny Popp was starting to expand his alignment knowledge he called DJRace. I have Hub stands, elevated alignment/corner weighing system, etc and still talk to Danny occasionally about alignment considerations and I autocross/track the car as well as drive on the street.

Get notified of new replies

To NCCC autox scrutineering intensity

Quick Reply: NCCC autox scrutineering intensity