Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W2W: SCCA or NASA?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 11:52 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

As far as I can tell the big dogs in amateur racing are in SCCA.. It is still the premier place and has many racers going pro and many lower tier pros crossing back into amateurs trying to win the National title. There is a huge amount of money being spent in SCCA trying to win that title. At the Majors level there are countless 6 figure cars and 5 figure tire budgets are plentiful. With an SCCA full competition license you can also qualify for your FIA license to race in Europe. That said it is also easy to race on a budget and be a mid packer. Add some talent and be a front runner. Cubic dollars does not always win but it sure helps.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:17 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Cubic dollars always wins. I venture many of the experienced NASA/SCCA club racers in here could easily go be competitive as a gentleman driver at LeMans with the requisite donation to the team. People like Mark Nunnally, David Pintaric, Danny Popp, etc. Lots of fast guys who have other priorities.
The following users liked this post:
Kubs (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 09:23 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

So looking at SCCA's website it appears their Time Trial offering is more west coast and not regional? Appears NASA has a stronger regional TT offering? Not talking auto-x or W2W.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:50 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 936 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
So looking at SCCA's website it appears their Time Trial offering is more west coast and not regional? Appears NASA has a stronger regional TT offering? Not talking auto-x or W2W.
Looking at the rules for SCCA TT they have many more options for those wanting to keep a street car and compete, but once the interior is removed everyone is a race car and runs together. This would work well for people like you (or me if I can ever sell my C4) looking to have a dual purpose car or the Optima guys having a place to play other than Optima or CAMS autocross.

CMP and NCM are not too far from you Brian. They also do Mid Ohio and Pitt up here, but that is 1 or 2 events per year vs almost 1 per month with NASA.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:54 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Exactly... just not feasible to run this or even Optima. NASA is much closer.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:54 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
I do not have enough knowledge to comment on the other regions but I do know this, the Texas Region has a FANTASTIC TT program! The guy in charge of it, Brad Flack, has done an amazing job! And he is doing an amazing job! So much so that TT directors from other regions are coming to our region to learn what he's doing so they can apply it in their regions!
Old 02-14-2019, 02:56 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Originally Posted by Olitho
Trans Am is the poor man's Pro Series. That is why I race it. Trans Am is far less expensive than IMSA or World Challenge, but that is like saying the Chrysler building is shorter than the Empire State building.
LOL!!! "Poor Man's Pro Series" - I'd be rich if I wasn't racing!! But then my life would be incomplete...and that would suck!
Old 02-14-2019, 02:59 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

boy this thread blew up!

few thing. obviously buying would be cheaper and faster. had the opportunity to buy the WRL C6 i drove at COTA for 50k. it was race ready minus the blown rear main seal.
i really have zero interest in this. even if it costs me twice as much and takes me 5 times as long. i REALLY enjoy learning/fabing/building. almost as much as turning laps.

couple people mentioned local series. that could suit me great. ill look into that.
ive noticed for the most part im starting with "too much car"? even for SCCA/NASA. unless i go in one of the top teir unlimited GT classes (im still learning there names)

i really have no desire to switch cars. spec miata, CMC, or even going back to my SS. if im not in a car im passionate about, that excites me, that im interested in, and rather not race at all. and stick with HDPE in a car i do love.

budget comes up alot by me and replys. ignoring/accepting the upfront costs. i think the biggest per race cost will be tires. may need to step down to 275s like Gspeed to help with that. also my 427 is thirsty. probly only an issue in WRL 8 hours. pads arnt cheap, but my recent switch to wilwood has helped a bit with that. the only other i can think of would be clutch swaps, but hopefully that doesnt turn into a "every race" expense. i believe COTA WRL entry fee was $2000 is that average? then of course you have breakages. but ive always been a build it once, build it right type, and that has served me well when it comes to reliability. without sharing my bank statements i think ive got what it takes to run 1-2 races a year. but yes im definatly not on Captian Buddhas level!

in clash with what i always see on FB and youtube (everyone & vettes racing in NASA) seems most here are saying SCCA has more cars per class. im curious if thats very regional?

again i have Zero interest in TT. never been good at (single) hot lapping, qualifying etc. never will. and just dont enjoy that format at all.

Trans am. this would be the ultimate pipe dream end goal. but im also a realist. i know there is .0000001% chance of this ever happening. but if i ever wanted to go pro, this is the series ive always liked. it seems very grass roots. at least some of the teams. hell often when a car comes into the pits, it will be the drivers wife or kids on the jacks and mics i kinda dig that. makes the series seem doable. TA3 or TA4. but again. im a realist. probly only chance would be that team that rents seats in that challenger for a 1 time deal.

a close friend of mine (helps me with all of my wrenching,and loans me lift, former dirt circle track racer before starting family) told me something i always remember.
"Racing is cheap. Winning is expensive."
Old 02-14-2019, 03:10 PM
HULLY
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

"Racing is cheap. Winning is expensive." [/QUOTE]

I will be using this one!
Captain Buddha (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 03:14 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by stang killa ss
"racing is cheap. Winning is expensive."

Last edited by RapidC84B; 02-14-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:00 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Corey:

Entry fees:
-SCCA Majors race weekends (2 sprint races) are usually ~$550 plus the optional test day cost ($175 - $400, it depends on the track).
-SCCA Super Tour race weekends (2 sprint races) are usually ~$850-950 (I think I've paid over a grand before, for COTA awhile back) plus the optional test day cost (~$275 - $400, it depends on the track).
-TA2 race weekend with test day is $2,400.
-WRL, it depends on the race / track - their website has all the info / schedule
-if garages are available, or premium paddock, don't forget that cost.
-so let's say you've qualified for - and want to do - the SCCA National Runoffs, don't worry about the entry fee or the test day fees (yeah, they are high and it adds up REALLY quick) - the real cost is being away for 2 weeks - you'll likely be AT the track for 10 days or so....which is a LOT of fun!!

Tires:
-you've gotta figure out what the best tire is for your car / class - in certain classes it may be a spec tire. Figure out how many heat cycles you can run on 'em before they are crap - does your car (and the particular track) get better lap times with a set of 2 heat cycle tires, 5 heats cycles, stickers?. Don't run on crap tires, it's NOT worth it. Don't run on old tires, it's NOT worth it. Always have a fresh set of stickers available (if you flat spot a set of tires - and you probably will, especially learning a new track / car)...always have a set of wets available.

Seats (arrive n drive) are available for pretty much any race series (NASA, SCCA, WRL, Trans Am, etc.). Doing everything yourself is A-OK but once you have crew it's OH SO MUCH BETTER!!

I've got to be very blunt - and honest - with you - if you can only do 1-2 races a year then you may want to re-think things* - from both a safety and driver performance perspective. Just some food for thought. * = maybe a less expensive car / series, etc.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:20 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

great info, thanks!
no "e"

-Cory
Old 02-14-2019, 04:36 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Cory, no EEEEEEE, got it LOL!!!

BTW - I should have added this to my above post - my first year of racing I did the SCCA Super School weekend and then a Majors race weekend, that was it - I set myself back by not racing MORE! I remedied that "problem" the next year and did a BUNCH of racing, the Runoffs, etc. The more you do, the better you get!
Old 02-14-2019, 04:39 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Cap that 10 days is the part I have a hard time figuring out, I can work and have the money but if I'm not working I don't have the money! My theory over the next couple of years is start hunting arrive and drive events, seems easy enough to budget both time and money for that and I can keep the big dreams for the future when I might find more time or money.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:50 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Originally Posted by dclafleur
Cap that 10 days is the part I have a hard time figuring out, I can work and have the money but if I'm not working I don't have the money! My theory over the next couple of years is start hunting arrive and drive events, seems easy enough to budget both time and money for that and I can keep the big dreams for the future when I might find more time or money.
I've done two Runoffs so far, Daytona in 2015 and Indy in 2017 - both times we took the motorhome and hauled the race car/trailer. We camped at the track and really enjoyed it! I thought I would have all kinds of free time at Daytona....to take care of work things, emails, socializing, hanging on the beach....I was WRONG!!! LOL! Went to the beach one afternoon for a few hours, that was it! I did take a day off of qualifying to make the trek from Daytona to Tampa for the day to cover a customer event, so I technically did "some" work....I did the drive out in 3 days as well as 3 days back (only me driving) so it was a long time gone, 17 or more days, I think.

Indy - well I actually planned a work trip at the end of it....we loaded up/headed out around noon on the last Sunday and headed to Milwaukee for a trade show. I made advance arrangements at the State Fair Campground and had a spot for my trailer and my coach. I ubered/lyfted every day to the show, entertaining clients, etc. Then we drove back at the end of that week. We were gone for 23 days. Crazy. Fun. Times!!

If you'd like contact info for arrive n drive let me know, I know a few folks that would be happy to help!
Old 02-14-2019, 04:53 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Yes, the Runoffs are very fun, but it is at least 10 days... and you will stay busy the whole time.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:55 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 734 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
Some more of the sordid side of racing....

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...cy-of-scandal/
Any time huge amounts of cash are required...
But let's not forget the Whittington brothers, also former IMSA stars turned jailbirds.
Small correction in the item about Randy Lanier though. Under RICO, he was sentenced to life without parole for smuggling pot. ... not a sentence you'll serve out to earn your release. He succeeded with an appeal (after like 35 years in prison?), and the Feds declined to retry him.

Get notified of new replies

To W2W: SCCA or NASA?

Old 02-14-2019, 06:32 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 213 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C7 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

"again i have Zero interest in TT. never been good at (single) hot lapping, qualifying etc. never will. and just dont enjoy that format at all."

You don't like DE with transponders and open passing?

You really need to focus on getting better than an intermediate DE driver before you jump head first into w2w imo.

good luck starting every race from the back I guess if you're not gonna learn to qualify.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:45 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Heya Cory. There is alot of good advice in this thread from experienced individuals. Much can be learned by listening, reading and considering what these guys have to say. We have spoken before and I've told you what I think, and that is to keep things simple, straight forward and effective, otherwise you will get lost in the myriad of options and directions.

If you are set on this path (and your car), my advice (same as before) is to first gut and cage your car, install fire suppression, electric cutoff, window net and other items that are required for virtually any racing body you choose. This is the most significant and time consuming process and requires the biggest leap of faith. Everything up to this point is "all talk" and nothing but wishes, dreams, unicorns and bizarre references to types of racing you won't see. From there, join NASA Time Trials, not because you think you can win (as it appears you can't or aren't interested), but because it is a simple stepping stone to wheel to wheel. It will give you a better feel for truly running the car hard and at the limit, keep your costs under control, put you in a semi-racing mindset and environment, and give you an opportunity to learn (which you will desperately need - I know I did).

From there, it is a straight forward matter to apply for and get your competition racing license with NASA and join a race when you are ready. You don't need to plan for or attend every race, just the ones you want and can afford. So a few races a year are perfectly fine. I know many guys that do this in the NorthEast. They don't win championships, but they have a ton of fun and see podiums. Additionally, if you want to still do HPDE for fun, your car will be safer (but will never see a street again). You will need a trailer and truck (if you don't already have one), and quite frankly this is a must for any track junkie anyhow.

I think you should take a step back and evaluate whether you truly want to take the plunge and what that entails - mostly to your car which you are proud of and how/when you use it - as this will change dramatically. With racing, you give up a degree of control over the situation, all in return for the rush, thrill and excitement of the race and the competition. Personally, I think you should do it with your car, as I know you value the journey (like me) as much as the goal. The far cheaper (and quicker) alternative is to simply buy a pre-built, sorted race car. But I would be careful of over-extending yourself or getting dragged in too many directions at once. If you want to race your car, then cage it and make it race ready. The opportunities will create themselves.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mordeth:
Nowanker (02-14-2019), STANG KILLA SS (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 06:45 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Uh oh, watch out - you've been Lobstah'ed, Cory!!!!

Lobstah's racing tips, in no particular order:
-don't worry about qualifying, it's more fun at the back of the pack
-don't worry about the start, it's too stressful
-run crappy tires, stickers give you too much traction....anyone can drive with grip!
-race prep? what's that?

Quick Reply: W2W: SCCA or NASA?