Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Z51 TT2/ST2 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 10:50 AM
Shortcutsleeping
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by lobsterroboto
That will give me the biggest gains.
I think you are on the exact right path.

Talk to Louis and see if he'll get you a "ballpark min-speed" for the key corners there and use those as targets. As usual, the biggest difference between fast and really fast is almost always corner entry (that's where my second came from...).

Lastly, if you are okay with it, put someone faster in your car for a data lap. I did this for Grant (silver C5) and him seeing that it could be done was a huge step to getting it done. He's been off track a while and blowing the cobwebs out and it really helped and it was also another check on the setup to ensure it was quick but predictable. We did vid for him the other day so he can get the visual cues as well. Lots of quick folks up there and Louis might suggest some names. As you know, some folks are fast but kinda hard on equipment, so there is always that in your mind as you watch your baby get flogged. <eek>

Costas
cars and such...
Old 03-22-2019, 08:19 AM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 213 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C7 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Thanks to @GSpeed

Car is raised 1/2" all around and corner balanced and aligned, headers and a pretty rad tune gets this car more in parity with my main competition.

GSpeed was super accommodating btw. I was on a business trip and worked out to potentially pick the car up on the way home (I had driven on this particular trip) Obviously **** happens and I wouldn't of been butthurt that some arbitrary deadline designed to make my life easier was missed.

They did everything they could to make it easier on me and ensure I was able to grab the car and get home. they go the extra mile indeed.

Anyhow, at the next competition in May I'll be unable to blame the car at COTA it'll be all on me.

As an aside, on the trip home from picking the car up, trailer got flat tire. I have learned that dealing with changing trailer tires is a pain in the ***.

Last edited by lobsterroboto; 03-22-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:28 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

These cheap trailer tires are awful, and are not reliable. When I get a new trailer, it's usually one of the first things I do to change them. Goodyear Wrangler HT is a light truck (LT) tire with all the loading capacity we need at the right sizes, and it'd not blow up on you : )
The following users liked this post:
BigMonkey73 (09-24-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 12:46 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

That’s why it’s always good to have a track jack and track drill on hand!
Old 03-27-2019, 01:22 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

yep, im probably gonna replace the entire set of tires this weekend.

8000 miles for tires isn't very much. I was looking at the rest of them and the wear on them is surprising.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:08 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

So, has a **** poor Saturday just wasn't feeling great. Missed the first session for.. reasons... went off track the next two sessions.

busted my carbon fiber side skirts. I wont be replacing those. at least not for full price lol.

They lasted approximately 3 events if anyone is curious.

My cars last dyno was 393 that I had done in January which is lower for no real reason than the last dyno (419) I'm speculating its the catalytic converters turning into garbage. So I left my car with GSpeed. For some Kooks headers and a tune.

Maybe a corner balance if I can afford it. Either way to compete with the TT2 front runners I need to get the car more on a level playing field.

So up my power a bit while staying in class. Add a touch more front downforce, possibly experiment with sticking 315/30/18's in the front on my new 10.5 front wheels.

I wasn't expecting to beat those guys this event. TT2 guys were all tenths off in the 1:15's with my trailing behind with 1:19 (and the guy behind me a 1:23 for the sake of my own ego)
Not going to lie, it took me until today to get a feel for the track.
I can easily see a 1:18 with some more seat time and keeping the car as is.

With a few of the aforementioned changes 17's and with some more coaching and practice.. then maybe we can look at being on the same page as them.

One of my goals is to beat a particular Lotus at NOLA at the end of the year. This thread is going to document that journey. Successful or not, I'll have fun.

ETA:
looking at my data from this weekend, I see very costly mistakes everywhere. I hate cresson
1:19 is still fast as hell. I ran a 1:22.5 so far with 295/305 R888Rs, Z06 springs, basically stock car otherwise. I can hit 1:21s when I trust the larger amount of grip more. Here's my lines:
Old 03-27-2019, 03:20 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Shift into 4th before ricochet and stay in 4 into little bend. Ton of time there. More entry speed into little/big bend.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:26 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Chets LS3
Shift into 4th before ricochet and stay in 4 into little bend. Ton of time there. More entry speed into little/big bend.
That's what I tried too, but shifting early into 4th, although its smoother, loses me time after the turn. I usually start big bend in 4th (don't know what happened in these laps). I tried the same in ricochet and did not reach the same speed at the end of the straight before little bend. Staying in 4th after little bend is very slow.

The higher entry speeds is what I mean by trusting the tires more. I find my entry speeds are almost identical as with skinnier tires. Haven't adjusted to the wider tires yet it seems.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 03-27-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:29 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

As you progress in speed, be very careful in 3rd at ricochet. The higher the RPM the easier it can bite you as you progress. I guarantee it will be faster if you creep up on your entry speed. I dont like to be wound up that high in rpms on a high G/High speed corner. Throttle inputs really disrupt the car. The margin of error gets really small.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:41 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

@BrunoTheMellow front ride height is set at 3.75 & rear is at 4.25

The last weight was 3380 with a "175lb" driver and somewhere around 1/4 tank (depending on if they weighed it before or after dyno tune lol)

I'm finally gonna get to shake down the car next weekend after these latest changes hopefully it doesn't crap rain all over me so I can get an apples/apples comparison from earlier this year.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:50 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

@BrunoTheMellow front ride height is set at 3.75 & rear is at 4.25

The last weight was 3380 with a "175lb" driver and somewhere around 1/4 tank (depending on if they weighed it before or after dyno tune lol)

I'm finally gonna get to shake down the car next weekend after these latest changes hopefully it doesn't crap rain all over me so I can get an apples/apples comparison from earlier this year.
awesome thanks! Good luck. I'm doing a track day Tuesday and next Sunday. Hopefully this LG oil cooler does well.

And ~3200 is great.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 04-07-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:52 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Well car's shakedown went great this last weekend

went out to an HPDE at MSRH just for some testing. Wasn't driving 10/10ths and still had an optimal (for the weekend) of 1:37.9 on 20 heat cycled R7's that corded Sunday morning.

Thinking about the future for the car.

Larger front splitter, full fire suppression system & new wiring harness.

I'm having some thoughts on this.

Dealing with the ridiculous ritual I have to go through to drive the car is getting annoying.
Dealing with the ridiculous random "issues" that are caused by missing suspension components is getting annoying.

The new headers & tune were amazing. the car felt really good and sounds amazing Thanks @GSpeed A++

A couple of different directions I've thought about. obviously in a perfect world a motel would be ideal but something about cost and access to someone who knows motec locally is an issue.

https://swapspecialties.com/product/...alone-harness/

https://sdparts.com/i-24080944-chevr...oller-kit.html

https://www.milspecwiring.com/C7-Cor...42_p_2032.html

However, Motec has provisions for the eLSD and the other two don't seem to.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:07 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

$8,400 to put a motec in the car? that's just crazy. I know you're in deep, but it shouldn't require a re-wire of the car for what you've done so far. I have to imagine there are mag ride shock sims. I have the exhaust AFM sims. What else? Turn car on, hit dismiss a couple times, hold town TCS/AH button a few seconds to turn everything off.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:51 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
$8,400 to put a motec in the car? that's just crazy. I know you're in deep, but it shouldn't require a re-wire of the car for what you've done so far. I have to imagine there are mag ride shock sims. I have the exhaust AFM sims. What else? Turn car on, hit dismiss a couple times, hold town TCS/AH button a few seconds to turn everything off.

So car has kill switch... turn it on, turn on car.
Airbag warning
TPMS warning
Suspension system warning
Rear Axle warning...

The eLSD doesn't function on a cold start after the battery has been disconnected.

Turn off car...

Turn on car
Airbag warning
TPMS warning
Suspension system warning

hit okay on the buttons I have jankily wired so I can see display
then Car's theme is in touring display (I prefer the track mode display) so go into the DIC options to change that with those buttons.
Granted if I got an MXL dash or some **** that would be less of an issue?

it's just annoying.
Also, the amount of random wiring in the car that is entirely unnecessary is just appalling. like the seat position sensor thing... the bundle of wires underneath the seats. just uggh.

Motec seems overkill the more I think about it, but I am thinking about the other options. I dunno.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:13 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I am really surprised nobody has come out with a sim to turn the airbag light off at a minimum. Even folks with regular cars and track seats could use that.

I'm keeping all the MR stuff and I'd like to figure out how to disable the low washer fluid warning.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:16 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I am really surprised nobody has come out with a sim to turn the airbag light off at a minimum. Even folks with regular cars and track seats could use that.

I'm keeping all the MR stuff and I'd like to figure out how to disable the low washer fluid warning.
oh right I forgot about that one as well...

I still need to remove the tank but I dont have washer fluid anymore. it was getting annoying every time i turned hard i would get a low washer fluid warning.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:35 PM
mfain
Drifting

Received 879 Likes on 395 Posts

Well car's shakedown went great this last weekend

went out to an HPDE at MSRH just for some testing. Wasn't driving 10/10ths and still had an optimal (for the weekend) of 1:37.9 on 20 heat cycled R7's that corded Sunday morning.

Thinking about the future for the car.

Larger front splitter, full fire suppression system & new wiring harness.

I'm having some thoughts on this.

Dealing with the ridiculous ritual I have to go through to drive the car is getting annoying.
Dealing with the ridiculous random "issues" that are caused by missing suspension components is getting annoying.

The new headers & tune were amazing. the car felt really good and sounds amazing Thanks @GSpeed A++

A couple of different directions I've thought about. obviously in a perfect world a motel would be ideal but something about cost and access to someone who knows motec locally is an issue.

https://swapspecialties.com/product/...alone-harness/

https://sdparts.com/i-24080944-chevr...oller-kit.html

https://www.milspecwiring.com/C7-Cor...42_p_2032.html

However, Motec has provisions for the eLSD and the other two don't seem to.
Have you talked to Shane Tecklenburg (shaneteck@yahoo.com) - he is a MoTeC master. He did the computer, harness, and initial tune for my car. He uses Greg Pyles (staywired@hotmail.com) to build his harnesses. Greg built the 200+ foot harness for George Poteet's Salt Flat 457 mph streamliner "Speed Demon". Work of art. Mine is mostly an engine management system, but it does have outputs for fans, fuel pumps, etc. plus a can bus output for the AiM dash. He also added a mil-spec cannon plug for a quick disconnect at the firewall. Shane provided all of the sensors, crank trigger, coils, and injectors. It's nice to have all the components from one supplier so there are no "surprises" at start up time. I can add abs and traction control if I decide to do so in the future. The nice thing is that the entire computer/harness package probably weighs less than 10 lbs. Not cheap though. I tried to take a couple of photos to show the harness - a little difficult since the motor is still in its shipping crate. BTW, really like your car and the effort you are putting in.

BTW, Shane can remote tune with an internet connection.

Pappy

Last edited by mfain; 04-15-2019 at 07:37 PM.
lobsterroboto (04-16-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z51 TT2/ST2 build thread

Old 04-17-2019, 09:51 AM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Also, here's a clip of what the car sounds like idling.

RapidC84B (04-17-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 10:50 AM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

has anyone removed the infotainment system (and kept it out)

Does it pose any issues?
Old 04-19-2019, 10:56 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

The only issue I see is the steering override. I would guess if you have it set to "link to drive mode" before you take it out it should stay linked to drive mode, then you're drive mode selector would still work, but I have no idea. The other thing would be exhaust, but once you've ditched the valves then it doesn't matter.

What did you do about your valves? Did your car have the AFM valves (I have the sims for those). Did you just leave the NPP wires unplugged? Any CEL for that? My new exhaust has places to mount the NPP valves, but I don't see the point if they don't do anything and leaving them unplugged has no ill effects. (I know unplugging the AFM valves w/o sims does cause a CEL).

Quick Reply: C7 Z51 TT2/ST2 build thread