Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NT01 vs R88R Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 06:44 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default NT01 vs R88R Questions

I have seen some comments here and there but would like as much feedback as possible especially from those with experience with both tires.
I run autoX only no track events.

Here are my questions:
1. Are these the same compound but different tread design or not?
2. Do the R888R squeal a lot? I currently have NT01 and do not notice this issue.
3. Can these tires be mixed? Back NT01 - Fronts R888R.
4. Is there less rubber surface therefore less grip with R88R due to tread pattern?
5. Do they head cycle the same. If same compound likely they do.
6. Do they wear the same. If same compound likely they do.
7. Do they heat up the same. Although I have heard others say the NT01 is not for AutoX because it doesn't heat up quickly I have not found this to be a problem.

Thanks

DH
Old 02-21-2019, 07:11 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

So, this is all rumor through the mill...

Toyo and Nitto have the same corporate parent. Although they operate independently here in this market, and sometimes even COMPETE with each other, it is what is is...There's really only like 3 or 4 tire companies despite there being about 30 different brands.

One of the guy on the team responsible for the formulation of the original Toyo RA1, the venerable late 90s/early 2000 indestructible R-Comp, is also the guy responsible for the formulation of the first generation NT01 tire at Nitto. His name is John Woo. He's since left Nitto/Toyo and joined Maxxis, but that whole intermarriage between all the tire companies means the Maxxis RC-1, Nitto NT-01, and all of Toyo's treaded R-Comps (R888/R, the new RA1, and the RR) all share some very basic, similar characteristics and features in the compound, since most of the basic formulation is the same. And in reality, there's not much they can change on the compound front anyway, what they change is the way the nylon composite belts are laid, the read pattern design, and sidewall reinforcement. The other formulation and composition of the tire compound such as silica and binding oil really can't be changed much without drastically altering the way this "winning" R-Comp formula behaves.

So you end up with a lot of different tires that has compounds that operate in fairly same range of temperature and behave mostly the same, depending on the shape of the tread block. If you ask the manufacturers? They'll tell you they're not the same compound. And technically they're probably right, that the ratios and formulation of a variety of different materials that make up the carcass is PROBABLY different. But they all came from the same rubber "tree" if you get my drift.
The following users liked this post:
fuggles (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 07:25 PM
fuggles
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks for the info. For some reason I thought Toyo bought Nitto recently. But that is far from the truth. lol
Old 02-21-2019, 07:26 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by The HACK
So, this is all rumor through the mill...

Toyo and Nitto have the same corporate parent. Although they operate independently here in this market, and sometimes even COMPETE with each other, it is what is is...There's really only like 3 or 4 tire companies despite there being about 30 different brands.

One of the guy on the team responsible for the formulation of the original Toyo RA1, the venerable late 90s/early 2000 indestructible R-Comp, is also the guy responsible for the formulation of the first generation NT01 tire at Nitto. His name is John Woo. He's since left Nitto/Toyo and joined Maxxis, but that whole intermarriage between all the tire companies means the Maxxis RC-1, Nitto NT-01, and all of Toyo's treaded R-Comps (R888/R, the new RA1, and the RR) all share some very basic, similar characteristics and features in the compound, since most of the basic formulation is the same. And in reality, there's not much they can change on the compound front anyway, what they change is the way the nylon composite belts are laid, the read pattern design, and sidewall reinforcement. The other formulation and composition of the tire compound such as silica and binding oil really can't be changed much without drastically altering the way this "winning" R-Comp formula behaves.

So you end up with a lot of different tires that has compounds that operate in fairly same range of temperature and behave mostly the same, depending on the shape of the tread block. If you ask the manufacturers? They'll tell you they're not the same compound. And technically they're probably right, that the ratios and formulation of a variety of different materials that make up the carcass is PROBABLY different. But they all came from the same rubber "tree" if you get my drift.
Thanks very much for the information. So I guess the question is will the tread design which is different cause any problems if tires are mixed? And maybe more importantly is the sidewall reinforcement different?
Old 02-21-2019, 09:02 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Thanks very much for the information. So I guess the question is will the tread design which is different cause any problems if tires are mixed? And maybe more importantly is the sidewall reinforcement different?
Yes.

for performance applications, I would refrain from mixing compounds. For that matter, for street use I wouldn’t mix the compounds either.

Eventhough the compound is very similar, the way the tread design and block sizes differ can lead to unpredictable results. Although, if you SHAVE them, they’ll likely mix well because the tread blocks are drastically reduced.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:17 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by The HACK
Yes.

for performance applications, I would refrain from mixing compounds. For that matter, for street use I wouldn’t mix the compounds either.

Eventhough the compound is very similar, the way the tread design and block sizes differ can lead to unpredictable results. Although, if you SHAVE them, they’ll likely mix well because the tread blocks are drastically reduced.
Well you see this is why I posted this question.
Tires that are supposedly the same yet at least in your opinion should not be mixed.
I really like the NT01 and I'm just worried that I will not like the R888R as well.

DH
Old 02-22-2019, 06:49 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,463 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I love NT01s. They wear like iron, and they are fairly consistent at the track. They lose a bit of traction when it's too hot outside, but at least they won't significantly lose even more during the session. R888R seems to overheat faster than NT01.

I'm surprised you didn't notice, but NT01s always made noise at the highway for me. R888Rs also do make noise, but honestly it's OK, since even the OEM PSS ZPs were noisy on this car with that giant tread.

Since they overheat differently, I'd not mix and match, but hey, if that's all I had in hand in the middle of a track day, I would probably give it a shot.

FYI, I'm using R888Rs for street use, and R7s for track at the moment, but I did use them at the track, especially the NT01s on various cars, including Miatas.
cvp33 (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 03:11 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by X25
I love NT01s. They wear like iron, and they are fairly consistent at the track. They lose a bit of traction when it's too hot outside, but at least they won't significantly lose even more during the session. R888R seems to overheat faster than NT01.

I'm surprised you didn't notice, but NT01s always made noise at the highway for me. R888Rs also do make noise, but honestly it's OK, since even the OEM PSS ZPs were noisy on this car with that giant tread.

Since they overheat differently, I'd not mix and match, but hey, if that's all I had in hand in the middle of a track day, I would probably give it a shot.

FYI, I'm using R888Rs for street use, and R7s for track at the moment, but I did use them at the track, especially the NT01s on various cars, including Miatas.
Thanks for your input. I'm not worried about highway noise..........only drive to track ......have street setup.
Only considering mix and match because NT01 doesn't come in 295/30/18 like the R888R. Wish it did !!!
Since this is for AutoX only maybe R888R would be better if they actually heat up faster.

DH
Old 02-22-2019, 04:00 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,463 Likes on 1,020 Posts

When I switched to 315 fronts from 275s (on NT01s), the car was transformed; just so you know : )

Have fun!
cvp33 (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 07:59 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Agreed. 315F/335R = pure happiness.

Originally Posted by X25
When I switched to 315 fronts from 275s (on NT01s), the car was transformed; just so you know : )

Have fun!

Get notified of new replies

To NT01 vs R88R Questions

Quick Reply: NT01 vs R88R Questions