Notices
Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel size question - C7 GS

Old 03-04-2019, 02:41 PM
Viking0728
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice spreadsheet. I need to set one of those up.

For brakes I have the factory CCBs, Motul 660 for the track. I plan to just use up the brakes and switch to an iron brake.

Originally Posted by TCorzett View Post
For 18" wheels... Rival-S, NT01, R888R, and Hoosiers (R7 and A7) are all available in 315/30-18 (front) and 335/30-18 (rear). There are also some non-DOT slick options if one decides to transition to towing their car to/from the track.

I drive to/from the track on Rival-S and will eventually do the same with NT01 or R888R (with a second set of wheels/tires for daily driving). One of the main reason I went with 18" wheels is the huge number of options available when it comes to tires... both in brands and performance levels. I'm starting with the Rival-S (a street tire), then will likely move to the NT01 (R-Comp), and eventually maybe even to slicks (but that's a long ways away).

When I was looking at tire sizes, diameters, etc. I too had concern about the traction control/PTM and how it would react to non-OEM tire sizes. From what I could gather, and I'm far from an official on the subject, my goal was to keep the rear tires slightly larger than the fronts (MPSS rears are 103.10% the diameter of the fronts). Here's a table of what I was looking at:

Another question to ask when it comes to choosing tires... what brake pads are you using? If you're swapping pads, then it's not really an issue. If you're looking to keep the same pads for street/track... I don't think you'll be happy getting a wheel setup that can only run an R-Comp tire (NT01/R888R) or DOT slick (Hoosiers). I did quite a few track days on the OEM pads and the Rival-S without issues (having proper brake fluid is a must, and I understood that I'd need to be gentle on the brakes compared to a more track-focused pad). That said, I've since started swapping rotors/pads before track days and have noticed a big difference in the braking potential.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel size question - C7 GS

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: