Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Seats on OEM Power Rails

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 09:41 AM
anth115
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Aftermarket Seats on OEM Power Rails

Hey all,

I was browsing through the C6 General section and came across this thread, where a member attached his Sparcos to the oem seat rails:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oem-rails.html

I'm wondering why this isn't more commonly done - seems like a cheap and convenient solution for dual-duty cars, albeit I imagine mounting a sub belt bar could get interesting with all of the electronics retained down there. My other car is an E46 M3 and I know this is a fairly common route to take on that platform, and BK actually makes an adapter to make this easier on that platform.

I have my OEM driver's seat out of the car now (winter storage) but I couldn't see the fasteners that attach the rail/base to the seat - if anyone has separated the two or knows how to, please let me know. Many videos seem to cover replacing the seat covers, cushions, etc. but not actually detaching these two pieces.
Thanks
Old 03-12-2019, 10:26 AM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

This is a great idea. I would love to do this with my C5 Z06. I hate that my brackets don't allow me to tilt up the bottom of my seat.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:19 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by anth115
Hey all,

I was browsing through the C6 General section and came across this thread, where a member attached his Sparcos to the oem seat rails:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oem-rails.html

I'm wondering why this isn't more commonly done - seems like a cheap and convenient solution for dual-duty cars, albeit I imagine mounting a sub belt bar could get interesting with all of the electronics retained down there. My other car is an E46 M3 and I know this is a fairly common route to take on that platform, and BK actually makes an adapter to make this easier on that platform.

I have my OEM driver's seat out of the car now (winter storage) but I couldn't see the fasteners that attach the rail/base to the seat - if anyone has separated the two or knows how to, please let me know. Many videos seem to cover replacing the seat covers, cushions, etc. but not actually detaching these two pieces.
Thanks
You need to remove the seat bottom cushion to gain access to the nuts that hold the seat frame to the seat track.

Bill
Old 03-13-2019, 03:31 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

It works if you're around 5 foot tall or less, but most aftermarket seats on factory rails will sit way too high for "normal" sized folks. My wife has a Sparco seat on the factory C6 ZR1 power rails. It took some work to fabricate everything, but the memory functions and everything still work. It will damn near crush me to death if I try to fit in it.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:02 AM
anth115
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Gents; I guess that explains why we haven't seen that done much on this platform!
Old 03-14-2019, 03:02 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Yeah seems like a pain in the ****.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket Seats on OEM Power Rails

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Seats on OEM Power Rails