Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5th Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 07:46 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,073 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by harrydirty
Was that at an open track day? I did not realize that one can run the tri oval..........details please?
Riesentoter PCA September event often they use the tri-oval at the end of the day on Saturday. It's a standard DE format event. I would check with the registrar to make sure they are planning to use the tri-oval if you are going and that's part of your interest in doing so.

The last time I did it was in September 2017. As I recall 2018 was a washout and do not believe they tried to use the tri-oval.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:15 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
Pocono tri-oval needed 5th in a C6Z. 177 MPH.
Silly question, but was this with a stock C6Z; if not, what mods? Also how's stability at the 160+ speeds?
Old 03-11-2019, 12:57 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by truth.b
Silly question, but was this with a stock C6Z; if not, what mods? Also how's stability at the 160+ speeds?
I was not the driving one of the C6Z's at the time. They were not stock. Both cars were caged SCCA STO prepared C6Z's. Gutted, tuned and making fairly close to 500 rwhp. Tires were 26.8" rear 345/35/18 Hoosier R7's.

That particular day 4 cars were over 170 mph. I was driving a 2008 Dodge Viper ACR on Pilot Sport Cups and went 171 mph, my friend Dan Kendra, his very first event if you can believe it and happened to be my student in his Switzer P800 Nissan GTR 174 mph with me as a passenger/Instructor, and both Rob Mailand and Jeff Rotella in their STO C6Z's at essentially identical 177 mph. They looked like they were glued together on the track. They were shifting into 5th at nearly the same time I would coming off T3 in the ACR and definitively pull me on the main Grand Stand straight.

The 2008 ACR with it's 3.07's and .741 5th gear ratio falls flat on it's face and has too much aero to be quick on straights so I had nothing for them in addition to the fact that they are far better driver's than I. .

Dan with me as Instructor in the car had multiple drag race's with Jeff in his C6Z on the backside of the IMSA course as it turns right from the infield onto the tri-oval and he would pull the GTR ever so slightly from a 20 mph roll.

It was amazing to me how many laps we ran at speed that day. Two entire sessions using the tri-oval. I know it's not fast compared to what they do at that track in fast cars but it felt fast to me in the corners with the walls right there.

In 2017 in the C7GS the car would slow down after shifting to 5th. Car was completely stock on Pilot Super Sports. I was going much slower in that car in T3 than I had been in the Viper.

The fastest I have ever driven my Wife's C6Z on a road course is 155 mph at both Summit Point Main and Watkins Glen. 4th gear in both cases. I have not had it on the tri-oval yet.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:22 PM
Anthony F
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Great stuff, i might have to go to Pocono some day.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:02 PM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
I was not the driving one of the C6Z's at the time. They were not stock. Both cars were caged SCCA STO prepared C6Z's. Gutted, tuned and making fairly close to 500 rwhp. Tires were 26.8" rear 345/35/18 Hoosier R7's.

That particular day 4 cars were over 170 mph. I was driving a 2008 Dodge Viper ACR on Pilot Sport Cups and went 171 mph, my friend Dan Kendra, his very first event if you can believe it and happened to be my student in his Switzer P800 Nissan GTR 174 mph with me as a passenger/Instructor, and both Rob Mailand and Jeff Rotella in their STO C6Z's at essentially identical 177 mph. They looked like they were glued together on the track. They were shifting into 5th at nearly the same time I would coming off T3 in the ACR and definitively pull me on the main Grand Stand straight.

The 2008 ACR with it's 3.07's and .741 5th gear ratio falls flat on it's face and has too much aero to be quick on straights so I had nothing for them in addition to the fact that they are far better driver's than I. .

Dan with me as Instructor in the car had multiple drag race's with Jeff in his C6Z on the backside of the IMSA course as it turns right from the infield onto the tri-oval and he would pull the GTR ever so slightly from a 20 mph roll.

It was amazing to me how many laps we ran at speed that day. Two entire sessions using the tri-oval. I know it's not fast compared to what they do at that track in fast cars but it felt fast to me in the corners with the walls right there.

In 2017 in the C7GS the car would slow down after shifting to 5th. Car was completely stock on Pilot Super Sports. I was going much slower in that car in T3 than I had been in the Viper.

The fastest I have ever driven my Wife's C6Z on a road course is 155 mph at both Summit Point Main and Watkins Glen. 4th gear in both cases. I have not had it on the tri-oval yet.
Thanks for the insight that must have been something to see. That fastest I've been in my C6 GS is high 150's but I've been in the 170's on my bike. I agree with you that even though 170 isn't that difficult for many cars nowadays I still feel it is a very big number.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:32 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by truth.b
Thanks for the insight that must have been something to see. That fastest I've been in my C6 GS is high 150's but I've been in the 170's on my bike. I agree with you that even though 170 isn't that difficult for many cars nowadays I still feel it is a very big number.
It is a big number when the course is not a straight line........................
Old 03-12-2019, 09:49 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Anthony F
Great stuff, i might have to go to Pocono some day.
It certainly adds a new element. 20-30 minutes "flat out" is interesting because it's something I never do.

There are some guy's here like AZDave that know way more about going fast than I do. He runs the Nevada Silver State Classic Challenge and is quite good at it. If you participate enough or have prior racing credentials you can get into Grand Sport (165 MPH) and Super Sport (180 MPH) classes that have serious speeds and you will definitely use 5th gear. 90 miles long. Guy with a business in town bought a former Kurt Busch Dodge off eBay and went 248 mph with an average speed over the entire 90 miles of 217 mph as I recall back in 2012 running in the Super Unlimited class. That's fast. I would make that event a must do if you really want to go fast.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:39 AM
tw78911sc
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

VIR back stretch, Roebling straight and NCCAR when run counterclockwise. Roebling you can be over 100MPH on exit of turn nine 3/8 of a mile straight and turn one you can carry a lot of speed at entry. I've often thought about changing out 5th gear so the RPM drop between 4th to 5th. No need for two overdrive gears.

Quick Reply: 5th Gear