Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High end coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 01:22 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Default High end coilovers

So obviously with enough money people can buy just about anything but not all of us are loaded.

My experience with better shocks was with koni race shocks... but on another platform all together...

Since I got on board with the vette, I first was on the stock shocks and lowered bolts, I didn't like the strange transfer from side to side on the vette... and it was jarring however it was incredibly stable to 295kph every single time (gps verified).

The vette felt like a boat, so i upgraded swaybars from steinjagger, but still felt like a boat.

Then I bought HSD coilovers per suggestion of some people, I had a feeling it'll be a fail... chinese coilovers... which I was always against. Initially it felt smoother but then it became a pogo stick and was so bouncy... and it also was no longer stable to high speeds.

After being sold on all the hype went with aldan coilovers... was super excited... then after installing... not that impressed, felt a bit better than the hsd coilovers but until now the rear end has a side to side bounce and the car is no longer stable past 230kph, the side to side bounce is just outright scary after each bump. Initially I was given wrong damping settings but after playing around the car felt better but that bounce was still there.

So thousands of canadian dollars down the drain (had to pay customs, shipping etc... plus the price -- now the aldans are cheaper then when i got them 'on sale') .... i am left with a not so happy vette.

Someone just told me about silver neo-max coilovers from taiwan... about a 1000usd with shipping but this sounds like going down the hsd route.... maybe maybe not...

Instead of spending more money... I wish i went with a high end damper setup... and drop spindles...

Since now I am stuck with coilovers that don't work as well as I hoped they would... what are the options out there?

MCS, Moton, AST, Bilstein... who has them, how were your experiences, costs, etc....

I don't care to slam the car... and the car is slammed now with the aldans.. .can't go higher. I want to get drop spindles to correct the arms shooting up... just terrible...

Dampers should be controlling the car and absorbing bumps for maximum mechanical grip... not be jarring and bouncing... and it seems most just do that... bounce around and jar your body from poor damping....

Last edited by a_ahmed; 03-14-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:50 PM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

There was a set of JRi coilovers in the for sale section this week. I run them on my car and they are outstanding.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:21 PM
Matt_27
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

You can get a set of new non-adjustable Penske 7500s for $2600 USD which will greatly outperform the Aldans. Keep an eye on the for sale section too, for JRi or Penske or MCS.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:08 PM
jw1
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Penske 8300s are fully adjustable and are what I am looking at for my car. Another car that I drive has those on it. Another advantage of Penske is that they are servicable/rebuildable through a number of companies.

I would quit buying off brand and go with Penskes or something equivalent like JRZ or JRi.

Last edited by jw1; 03-14-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:48 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I have the Penske 8300 DA. They are excellent.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:59 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

G-loc has non adjustable Penske coilovers at a good price, and I'm sure can do 2 and 3x also. I've been currently happy with my LG's but my car is 2600lb
Old 03-14-2019, 09:43 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

No recommendations for LGMotorsports or DougRippie coilovers? I'm actually surprised.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:09 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
No recommendations for LGMotorsports or DougRippie coilovers? I'm actually surprised.
Big fan of the DRM Coilovers based on my personal experience on my '04 C5 that was prepped for the road courses. Will do it again on my '13 C6 Grand Sport.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:19 AM
kflee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
I started with a set of Penske 8200LE Dual Rate Coilovers. The company that put this kit together (no longer in business) had the shock bodies too long for my setup (1" lower than stock) and I would bottom out frequently. Plus the polyurethane couplers between the springs were very noisy. Switched to a "cheap" set of DRM coilovers and love them! I have been running them for about 5 years. No other suspension mods... yet.

Kirk
Old 03-15-2019, 10:19 AM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Anyone run kw coilovers? They have a few different versions.

I'm surprised that you're describing the LGs as too harsh for the street? GT or G2? I was thinking about them as I was regretting getting the aldans...
Old 03-15-2019, 01:14 PM
'12GS
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

I have run AST on a previous car (different platform) and they were really good. I have heard that they have some quality control issues though, if they are brand new. I tried to buy Penske 8300s, as I had a friend that runs them, and loves them, but the vendor I ordered through was flaky and I didn't get anything after almost 6 months of waiting. I currently have a set MCS 2W on my car and it is in no way bouncy. Rides super smooth with the shocks at full soft, and then I can turn them up when I'm at the track for a little more body control. I really like them.

I wish I had a comparison to the Penskes. I do know that the rebound adjustment on the Penskes is the awful sweep style, instead of clicks. You basically have to jack up the car and take the wheel off to adjust. The MCS required me to cut a hole in the trunk floor to get to the rear rebound adjuster. I filled the holes with desk grommets to make it look a little cleaner. But not everyone would want to do that on their nice street car. I might be a little crazy.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:06 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

where did u get ur mcs coilovers?

looking on this site its over 4000usd for the coilover GT or GTS spring rate

https://vorshlag-store.com/products/...nt=43221700947

thats psychotic prices.. especially for me as a canadian... :/ could buy another little car for the price haha...

Last edited by a_ahmed; 03-15-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:08 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

We do a lot of shocks here. I'll list the options later. But Personally, have had: Penske, Koni, KW, Ridetech, MCS on Corvettes. And more if you include other cars.

I have Penske 8300's on my C7, and had a set on my C6 most of the last year I owned it. Note that unlike most others "Penske" shocks are not all the same, they are basically all custom built and there are a lot of wacky ideas, and some very basic ideas. When I do Penske's here, and I am a dealer for them, I work directly with Penske in Reading on the valving and the building of them. I have a personal shock tech in fact. I can tell you the difference between these and say an MCS or a JRZ is massive. I had MCS shortly a few years back and sold them as they weren't better than what I had and takes a buckshot approach to valving, in that the range is super broad, meaning that few individual adjustements are in play for what a particular person nees. JRZ tends to be way too high in compression and lacking in rebound. And MANY shocks are just linear, no low speed control to speak of, and low speed rebound is what gives you roll and pitch control. Without that you need up needing much stiffer springs to get the car to feel decent than you really need. And then the grip and ride suffers.

A side note. Penske, when doing Doubles, really does not like to use the 7500 inline for that on this car. Anyone who has looked knows that the car gets down and onto the bumpstops. Having both compression and rebound adjusters inline means you have less internal stroke before something hits something else, so they prefer to move the compression adjuster and dividing piston to the bottle. Now there are singles where this isn't an issue, and some doubles where it isn't either, like the twin-tube KW as that design has less stack height to it.

Really it's detailed, far more than you can realisitically get into on a forum or a PM discussion.

And there are optional Penske Adjusters that don't use the sweep style. I don't have sweep shocks on my car. In fact there are two other options. And no drilling into the car like the MCS either.
814-849-3450

More options than any other single company out there. More parts than any other single company I know: Brakes to Safety, Wheels to Exhaust. Suspension to Air Filters: Girodisc, Hawk, Raybestos, Essex Racing/AP, Ferodo, Wilwood, Penske, Koni, Borg Motorsport, Ridetech, Viking, After Dark Speed, Hotchkis, Bilstein, KW, Forgestar, BC Forged, Forgeline, MRR Wheels and on, and on, and on it goes.

Last edited by strano@stranoparts.com; 03-15-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:29 PM
'12GS
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by a_ahmed
where did u get ur mcs coilovers?

looking on this site its over 4000usd for the coilover GT or GTS spring rate

https://vorshlag-store.com/products/...nt=43221700947

thats psychotic prices.. especially for me as a canadian... :/ could buy another little car for the price haha...
I bought them from Vorshlag. They are local to me. Actually, all of the pictures on their site are of my shocks, as I was the first person to order the double remotes from them for a C5/C6. Its a lot of money, but I felt that it was worth it.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:01 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 641 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by a_ahmed
So obviously with enough money people can buy just about anything but not all of us are loaded.

My experience with better shocks was with koni race shocks... but on another platform all together...

Since I got on board with the vette, I first was on the stock shocks and lowered bolts, I didn't like the strange transfer from side to side on the vette... and it was jarring however it was incredibly stable to 295kph every single time (gps verified).

The vette felt like a boat, so i upgraded swaybars from steinjagger, but still felt like a boat.

Then I bought HSD coilovers per suggestion of some people, I had a feeling it'll be a fail... chinese coilovers... which I was always against. Initially it felt smoother but then it became a pogo stick and was so bouncy... and it also was no longer stable to high speeds.

After being sold on all the hype went with aldan coilovers... was super excited... then after installing... not that impressed, felt a bit better than the hsd coilovers but until now the rear end has a side to side bounce and the car is no longer stable past 230kph, the side to side bounce is just outright scary after each bump. Initially I was given wrong damping settings but after playing around the car felt better but that bounce was still there.

So thousands of canadian dollars down the drain (had to pay customs, shipping etc... plus the price -- now the aldans are cheaper then when i got them 'on sale') .... i am left with a not so happy vette.

Someone just told me about silver neo-max coilovers from taiwan... about a 1000usd with shipping but this sounds like going down the hsd route.... maybe maybe not...

Instead of spending more money... I wish i went with a high end damper setup... and drop spindles...

Since now I am stuck with coilovers that don't work as well as I hoped they would... what are the options out there?

MCS, Moton, AST, Bilstein... who has them, how were your experiences, costs, etc....

I don't care to slam the car... and the car is slammed now with the aldans.. .can't go higher. I want to get drop spindles to correct the arms shooting up... just terrible...

Dampers should be controlling the car and absorbing bumps for maximum mechanical grip... not be jarring and bouncing... and it seems most just do that... bounce around and jar your body from poor damping....
Our G2's are a Bilstein shocks w/ Hypercoil Springs, dialed in, on a corvette, on the track. The only time I've seen guys switch away from our stuff is to go to an adjustable penske set up for competition racing.

Last edited by Dane@LGmotorsports; 03-15-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:31 PM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

I have kw club sports on my Nissan track car and love them.

Also love the motons on my c6z
Old 03-16-2019, 10:58 AM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Received 165 Likes on 132 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

LG G2's have a bilstein damper - enough said. Although like LG said above, there's no adjustment to the product. Comfy enough on the street and solid performance on the track for a reasonable price vs the other brands you mentioned.

Get notified of new replies

To High end coilovers

Old 03-16-2019, 09:31 PM
DudeWithAVette
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane@LGmotorsports
Our G2's are a Bilstein shocks w/ Hypercoil Springs, dialed in, on a corvette, on the track. The only time I've seen guys switch away from our stuff is to go to an adjustable penske set up for competition racing.
What brands does the GT2 kit use?
Old 03-18-2019, 12:36 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Received 165 Likes on 132 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I'm selling a set of LG Motorsports G2 coilovers:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...coilovers.html
Old 03-18-2019, 05:55 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 641 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by DudeWithAVette
What brands does the GT2 kit use?
GT2's are our own brand, and they actually out sell G2's 5:1 (GT2's cannot be rebuilt/revalved but have lifetime warranty).

I brought up G2's because the thread title is "high end coilovers".

Last edited by Dane@LGmotorsports; 03-18-2019 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply: High end coilovers