Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRM Trans/Diff Cooler Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 03:30 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Default DRM Trans/Diff Cooler Install

Looking for some guidance on this project I attempted to tackle this weekend. I'm having a tough time with mounting the pump and cooler. There just simply doesn't seem to be enough room. I bought the kits (diff/trans) from a forum member here who had advertised it as the DRM stuff, but I have no idea how he made it work. They are Fluidyne coolers, and appear to be quite a bit larger than what I see on other DRM cooler installs here on the forum.

Can anyone tell me what their dimensions are?

I've trimmed darn near everything I can off the inside of the brake duct and can't trim off any more material. I can now get it in there (not even mounted to brackets yet), but there is no way I can attach both lines and get the wheel well cover back on. Also, I don't see how the pump is going to fit either.

Looking for photos of everything installed showing the pump and cooler mounting and how the lines are run.

Thanks!

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 03-16-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:52 PM
NSFW
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 136 Posts

I have a DRM kit that I'll be installing in the May or June so I'm still looking for ideas, but this thread is the best resource that I know of:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ful-hints.html
The following users liked this post:
Vettemansam (05-04-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 09:53 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

That's one of the threads I have bookmarked and have been referencing. My coolers are significantly taller than what he's using, unfortunately. I'll let you know how it goes and how things are tackled.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:20 PM
C5Z06CE
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I didn't buy the DRM kit I made my own. But my diff pump is mounted on top of my rear cradle just behind the rear axle. The lines go in with the coolers flipped sideways for a line to go in on the top right and out the bottom right if in the left brake duct and top left and bottom left of the cooler if in the right brake duct. I hope that helps some.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:51 PM
C5Z06CE
Racer

Default How I did it.

I ran lines to the pump on the rear cradle then SS Braided lines to the diff cooler in the R brake duct angled forward for max airflow and space. My coolers are also larger than those in the link you posted above. My pump is not in the brake duct.

On the left I ran black braided lines to the trans cooler. Both sets of lines go over the exhaust and back down the wheel well behind the fuel tanks to enter the brake duct.

See pics.

Diff pump on rear cradle.

SS lines entering R brake duct down wheel well.

Black braided lines from transmission to cooler on L.

Cooler angled forward for max air flow.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:55 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Great, thanks for the photos. You were the first I've seen that actually showed the routing of the oil lines and how they were secured. I'm impressed that it seems you were still able to keep the brake cooling duct??? Surely that's not doing much any more? Interesting.

I really don't want to run the lines over the exhaust heading to the diff and trans, so I'll have to take a close look at the rear subframe and see what I can do to keep it out of the way of anything moving.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 03-17-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:23 PM
C5Z06CE
Racer

I have been running it that way for over 4 years on a track dedicated car. No issues. Never had an transmission or diff temp issues or burned oil lines.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:45 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C5Z06CE
I have been running it that way for over 4 years on a track dedicated car. No issues. Never had an transmission or diff temp issues or burned oil lines.
It was more along the lines of having to remove the exhaust to do it. I'll have to go out there and take a look and see if it can be done without doing that.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:30 PM
C5Z06CE
Racer

Oh I see. I am not certain because it was so long ago but I don't think we removed the exhaust to do it.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:59 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

I'm having a hell of a time getting the cooler mounted. Project is on hold for now, and contacted Randy to see if these were his coolers. No clue how you guys were able to get the cooler mounted. I'm not a great fabricator to begin with, but I don't understand how you're getting the frame drilled without pulling the entire sideskirt. You simply can't get in there.

On the passenger side, the frame bows out. So I can't make an extra long bracket and even if I manage to do that, it affects the pump...which is already limited on where I can place it because of the bow in the frame.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 03-17-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:30 AM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

the pumps should be mounted after the cooler to help with pump life by running cooler fluid though it. I am doing a custom install in a c5 right now. Im using much bigger coolers and better pumps than what comes in the drm kit. I am also using Peterson fluid filters on the scavenge side to keep large debris out of the system.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:30 PM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

Here is my version of a c5 rear end and transmission coolers
Old 03-27-2019, 07:31 AM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

This help? DRM install on the Driver's side. The brackets are Home Depot Alumminum bar (1" x 1/8" I believe) The cooler is sloped rearward with the bottom area covering the trimmed brake duct (trimmed almost all the way and that was a "cut a little / test fit" for several iterations The top of the cooler is siting right at the junction of the fender and inner fender mounting area.

Get notified of new replies

To DRM Trans/Diff Cooler Install

Quick Reply: DRM Trans/Diff Cooler Install