Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

315 Fit on Car = YIKES!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 09:10 AM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Default 315 Fit on Car = YIKES!

Finally installed the 315's on my 2000 C5 (non-Z). They're mounted on C5Z factory 18" rims. Have -2.1 camber and max caster.

Front passengers side has plenty of clearance. Front drivers side gives at most 1/8" clearance when the wheel is turned between the outside edge of the tire and front inner fender liner. When at droop, it will contact. Car never hit or crashed.

Anyone else with that kind of fit?

Last edited by Rx7Rob; 04-13-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:04 AM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Here's a photo.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:14 AM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Ok, now I believe I bent something .... Adding up a few things I've noticed over the past two years:

- two years ago I noticed my front sway bar kept shifting towards the drivers side and contacting the suspension but was able to correct
- not long after, I noticed the front drivers side height adjuster had that corner way too low
- Had the car aligned but when I checked thrust angle it appeared off (I assumed the issue was in the rear)
- Now have the front drivers tire clearance issue

I measured the distance between the front and rear hubs and the drivers side is 1/2" longer than passengers (car still drives straight). I know body lines are not accurate but the distance between the door/fender gap and rear hub is the same on both sides. Distance between gap and front hub is 1/2" longer on the drivers side.

Just before all this started, I did have an off-track where I went off backwards (SP towards the inside of the carousel). I remember hearing a good bang but everything appeared ok and the car drove fine.

How do I determine whats bent? Need to get it figured out before a mid May track event.

Thanks

Rob
Old 04-13-2019, 10:29 AM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Got to a good body shop and have the frame checked on their frame machine.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:58 AM
D K
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

first get an alignment and have the thrust angles checked. That will tell you if its something local like an A arm or something bigger like a cradle or the frame.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:27 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

The order of events was:

- off track
- alignment 1 - they noticed something off (seemed to act like a lot of bump steer).
- I looked it over at home and noticed the height adjuster backed way off. Thought It just vibrated to that position. I raised it back up to where it should be and corner balanced the car.
- Back to the alignment shop and it aligned w/o issue. Also installed AMT camber plates.
- At home I did my own rough alignment check and thats where I thought there was an issue with thrust angle. Since the car drove straight and handled fine, figured it was just a problem with my alignment technique.

Should a bent control arm show up in the alignment?

Difficult to believe I bent the frame. The off-track felt significantly less jolting than if I smacked a curb on the street.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:26 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

lower control arm may just be swinging forward too much. If you have the adjustment, swing it rearward and correct the castor at the top
Old 04-14-2019, 12:17 AM
wtb-z
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I guess it shouldn't hit, but the clearance is going to be extremely close in that area normally. Running that set up with the BFG Rival 315 I think it would rub slightly there, dynamically, on a tight course.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:14 AM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Dave, front left / right camber plates set exactly the same. Only minor differences with the upper shims. I'll see if the shop can pull that side back but something isn't right.

I plan to make several measurements this morning to try and determine if the engine cradle has been moved. Will also compare the left and right control arms to see if something is different.

WTBz, is your left / right symmetrical? Maybe my issue isn't the left being tight, maybe the right is too far back!
Old 04-14-2019, 08:50 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

A car is the sum of lots in imperfect parts. Symmetry wasn't great on the C5's, so even if everything is set the same, it still may not be identical side to side. All I'm saying is if you have enough adjustment, you could swing both the lower and upper rearward to get a little extra clearance while also maintaining you castor and camber. For high camber settings, it is very common to have to sacrifice either castor or camber.

BUT, your car could have damage and there really is an issue. Just be aware that you have steel bolted to aluminum,glued to plastic, bolted to more plastic, snapped into even more plastic. There are lots of places where a mm here and there add up to centimeters!
Old 04-14-2019, 01:22 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Looks like you're right. Its a little off here / there. Also my quick measurement yesterday was to the hub and the steering wheel may have been a little off center resulting in it looking like a larger error. There is room to adjust it towards the back but I may just see if it makes contact at my next event. I am going to replace those screws with button-heads.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:14 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Just be aware that you have steel bolted to aluminum,glued to plastic, bolted to more plastic, snapped into even more plastic. There are lots of places where a mm here and there add up to centimeters!

This might be the best description of a Corvette I have ever heard!

I rarely have anything set close to the same side to side when I do alignments. As long as the measurements at each wheel are correct I wouldn't worry. If you do have a damaged part thats a different story.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kubs:
dclafleur (04-15-2019), RapidC84B (04-15-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 07:29 AM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Alignment shop was able to swing the tire back to the middle of the wheel well and the tires now fit. Not happy with the shops attitude so I'll get the alignment spec's back to where they should be after the track day.

Anyone know how much the rear cradle position can affect camber?

Thanks

Rob

Get notified of new replies

To 315 Fit on Car = YIKES!

Quick Reply: 315 Fit on Car = YIKES!