Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Cam / HPDE Track Day Video Recording - C6-Z06

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 12:30 AM
mdaniel
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Dash Cam / HPDE Track Day Video Recording - C6-Z06

Mods: I cross-posted this in CFOT so apologies if that’s against the rules - if it’s an issue please close one of the two threads and accept my apologies.

Replacing the head-unit in my C6-Z06 (something that can interface with an iPhone) and installing a backup cam.

Thinking this might be an opportunity to install a dash cam. I do HPDE track days now & again.

Are there any particular options / features I should look for - recommendations?

Something hard-wired, that includes GPS, speed, etc would be ideal but not required.

I have a roll bar (and race seat) if that helps/means anything.

Thanks,
md
Old 04-17-2019, 10:11 AM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Are you asking for something that integrates with your head unit? I've not heard of anything like that for dash cam type video. It's usually stand alone cameras.

Popular set ups for track day vids can be as simple as mounting your phone using a suction cup and using apps like Harry's Lap Timer or Track Addict (my previous fav), or you can level up and get a GoPro or Garmin VIRB (both have GPS options) to record the video and then choose to data overlay with software like Race Render. You can even get an external GPS for slightly better lap time accuracy...though I personally didn't find it to be better enough to warrant the purchase of an external GPS. And there's the ScanTool with bluetooth/wifi connectivity so you can get car data to the TrackAddict app for the data overlay portion.

And if you are ok with spending top dollar, AIM Solo 2 DL + SmartyCam is a no hassle way to get video with telemetry automatically for you.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:40 AM
mdaniel
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMonkey73
Are you asking for something that integrates with your head unit?
More since I have an installer's time I'd like to get everything done .. The dash/action cam is unrelated to the Pioneer head-unit.
Popular set ups for track day vids can be as simple as mounting your phone using a suction cup and using apps like Harry's Lap Timer
I've used Harry's Lap Timer. I have yet to find an iPhone mount that stayed mounted & didn't obstruct my view.
or you can level up and get a GoPro
I have a couple of GoPros. Most retarded user interface I've ever seen - I hope whomever designed it succumbs after suffering terribly.
Exposure after being napalmed for example they deserve.
You can even get an external GPS for slightly better lap time accuracy...
I have an external GPS that I formerly used with Harry's Lap Timer via an iPhone. Three different pieces of equipment to charge (with different types of cables). No thanks.
I need to focus on more important things when at the track.
And if you are ok with spending top dollar, AIM Solo 2 DL + SmartyCam is a no hassle way to get video with telemetry automatically for you.
Not sure how much top dollar is but I'm open within reason. I'll google around for that model #. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:45 AM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

You're looking at almost $2K all in for an AIM SOLO 2 DL and HD 2.1 SmartyCam, including connections and mounting etc.

I previously used Track Addict + GoPro + External GPS + Scantool.

I got tired of fiddling around with switching batteries and keeping everything charged, having to sync everything up for every session, and then doing a manual data overlay after the fact taking days or weeks by the time i got around to it.

The AIM set up stays in the car with permanent power and just works instantly every session..and video comes with data overlayed already. Expensive, but damn is it hassle free.

Get notified of new replies

To Dash Cam / HPDE Track Day Video Recording - C6-Z06

Quick Reply: Dash Cam / HPDE Track Day Video Recording - C6-Z06