Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment using CSM hub stands by froggy

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 09:40 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
I decided to base ALL laser reads to the inner line of laser light rather than try to judge the middle of the laser light. Seems to have worked. Colton correct me if I am wrong.
I agree its easier to judge the edge of the laser than guess where the middle is.

and since you use the same reference everywhere you are not adding any error into the readings.

Using the metric system of mm for me gives me 2 choices. At the "mm" mark or between two "mm" marks so 1mm or .5 mm which is ~ 0.6 /32" inch.

So I would read this using the right side laser mark as 908mm
Old 05-02-2019, 09:47 PM
0CSM Performance
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
I would remove the rubber gripper to eliminate the problem assuming there is a hard metal surface once removed.

But as suggested mount on the toe bars, but I would measure at a 20-30 ft distance so you can see the difference. If you cannot see any difference at that distance using the 8ft distance required will be perfect.
We utilize the compressed rubber gripper to help hold the Laser onto the Toe Bar as designed by Bosch so to any users, please do not remove the rubber gripper.

Thanks!
Colton @ CSM Performance LLC
Old 05-02-2019, 09:49 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CSM Performance
Yes it does, we include longer toe bar spacers with the LTAS just for this so no worries there!
So how would I determine if I need longer toe bar spacers and what correction to use. ?
Old 05-02-2019, 09:54 PM
0CSM Performance
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

So how would I determine if I need longer toe bar spacers and what correction to use. ?
No adjustments needed as both sides, passenger and driver, get the longer toe bar spacers. If the laser shoots too far inward and doesn't hit the Grid Plate than the longer toe bar spacers need installed. For a vehicle with a narrow front track width and with some Toe Out the laser may shoot too far inboard to hit the laser grid plate and will need the longer spacers.

Thanks!
Colton @ CSM Performance LLC
Old 05-03-2019, 01:27 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

No need to mount the lasers to the hubs to test.

Put the laser on any smooth surface pointing at a ruler and then place the next laser at the same spot and compare the reading at the laser.

The further away the ruler is the better. I usually use about 20 - 30 ft. but it doesn't matter what distance you use only knowing the further the distance the easier to see the variance. Now don't except both laser to be perfect, very rarely they will be. But they are expected to be +- 1/8" over 50ft ( your unit ).

So what you can do is shim one of the lasers on the hub. So once you find the laser unit that is the lower of the 2 use the elements/ fingers from a feeler gauge and shim the laser until they both match. Then when mounting the

laser on the hubs they will be perfect and no need to worry about any errors. Hopefully your units will be close enough you wont need to shim anything. Or you can use the same laser unit on both sides (moving it ) and the laser error doesn't matter since the true error of the laser is cancelled because the distance is the same on both side.

I like the idea of the hubs and big time saving on doing the alignments. Not as great for just taking measurements, but beats any other process that uses any string setup.

I check my alignment before and after every track event, usually every 2 weeks, so I came up with a process to take measurements very quickly. The process I use takes me about 15 minutes total to measure caster / camber / toe. and I use 2 processes.

1. Direct tires on the concrete just driving on set spots in the garage.
2. Then drive on car to the same spots, but with slip plates with grease between the plates so the suspension settles to the max.

The difference between the 2 measurements I use as suspension wear references. Once the total toes changes more than 1/8th " I start to look for worn out parts. or camber changes more than .3 degrees.

With the hubs I would apply pressure to one rotor and see how much movement it takes to effect the other hub to also see movement. But its worth to take measurements before and after you change parts to see the difference. Then

you will know what to check / look for worn parts.
Thanks very much for that tip, please stay with our conversation. I am getting plates for the stands & it'll be interesting as I do over.

Old 05-03-2019, 04:46 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Default Laser error discussion

So we talked a bit about this. Here is a real world test I did,

Please comment if I did anything wrong or if you have ideas on how to equalize/synchronize/certify the lasers. Thanks.

Video to come. Reshooting video.

Froggy

Last edited by froggy47; 05-03-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:54 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I agree its easier to judge the edge of the laser than guess where the middle is.

and since you use the same reference everywhere you are not adding any error into the readings.

Using the metric system of mm for me gives me 2 choices. At the "mm" mark or between two "mm" marks so 1mm or .5 mm which is ~ 0.6 /32" inch.

So I would read this using the right side laser mark as 908mm
Excellent, small issue fixed.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:23 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by froggy47
So we talked a bit about this. Here is a real world test I did,

Please comment if I did anything wrong or if you have ideas on how to equalize/synchronize/certify the lasers. Thanks.

Video to come. Reshooting video.

Froggy
To check the laser units try this.

Mount the laser units on the toe bars. Extend a string a long the toe bar to ~ 20ft. Then measure the distance of the laser from the toe bar
and compare the distance of the laser from the string ~ 20ft away.
Here is a picture. If the laser is good both measurements should be ~ 1/16 total difference.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:24 AM
froggy47
Race Director

To check the laser units try this.

Mount the laser units on the toe bars. Extend a string a long the toe bar to ~ 20ft. Then measure the distance of the laser from the toe bar
and compare the distance of the laser from the string ~ 20ft away.
Here is a picture. If the laser is good both measurements should be ~ 1/16 total difference.

Thanks.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:33 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Default New video camber adjust using CSM hub stands and plates by froggy

This

Thanks CSM!

Quick Reply: Alignment using CSM hub stands by froggy